Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 09:05:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Good bye Antminer Z9(equihash ASICS)  (Read 834 times)
Xazax310 (OP)

Activity: 246
Merit: 24

View Profile
October 31, 2018, 02:45:57 AM
Merited by CjMapope (1)

Zcash announced they will change mining algo in late 2019. While people could still ROI there Z9 ASICs within that timeframe(not if this bear market keeps crashing!) Everyone who decides to keep is basically left with doorstops, leaving only HORIZEN(Maybe?) and few other small Equihash coins.  Roll Eyes

What're everyone's thoughts? Is Zooko insane for waiting a year to change it? how will that affect the network considering it will be fully dominated by ASICs then?

https://forum.zcashcommunity.com/t/future-of-zcash-mining-circa-2019-and-2020/31737
technosaviour

Activity: 49
Merit: 13

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2018, 06:39:35 AM

Zcash announced they will change mining algo in late 2019. While people could still ROI there Z9 ASICs within that timeframe(not if this bear market keeps crashing!) Everyone who decides to keep is basically left with doorstops, leaving only HORIZEN(Maybe?) and few other small Equihash coins.  Roll Eyes

What're everyone's thoughts? Is Zooko insane for waiting a year to change it? how will that affect the network considering it will be fully dominated by ASICs then?

https://forum.zcashcommunity.com/t/future-of-zcash-mining-circa-2019-and-2020/31737
if this happens it will be great for GPU Mining community. I simply hate ASIC.

It's sad to see that some community grow because of GPU miners and as soon as they become popular they forget GPU community and make peace with ASIC

TechnoSaviour ▲▼ Crypto and Mining Channel ▲▼ https://www.youtube.com/c/technosaviour
mabturm

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2018, 06:57:56 AM

I doubt if this is ever going to happen. With that much community money invested in asics, it would be a bold move to go back to gpu's.

Also, what's the point. The new algo will be mastered by asics one day and then the whole race starts over again.

Better focus on PoS.
Meteorite777

Activity: 68
Merit: 6

View Profile
October 31, 2018, 09:52:36 AM

Full size Z9 price drop to $1994/unit from about $3200/unit and Z9 Mini no longer for sale on Bitmain website.

Been out of stock for weeks but just came back.
vincl

Activity: 386
Merit: 18

View Profile
October 31, 2018, 10:34:32 AM

Full size Z9 price drop to $1994/unit from about $3200/unit and Z9 Mini no longer for sale on Bitmain website.

Been out of stock for weeks but just came back.

nice, so inno will hopefully reduce A9 price, too
dagarair

Activity: 847
Merit: 383

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2018, 11:24:35 AM

late 2019 is a long ass time away....... Just sayin

4MW Data Center - I BUILT Tongue  - Full story below:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4789787.msg43227027#msg43227027
badbart

Activity: 449

View Profile
October 31, 2018, 12:54:10 PM

late 2019 is a long ass time away....... Just sayin

Right plenty of time to make money with ASICs before they are no good.
FFI2013

Activity: 906
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 31, 2018, 01:16:21 PM

Really late 2019 by the time that comes the difficulty will be outrageous and asic miners will fork the chain this is just zooko blowing smoke up GPU miners asses hoping to regain the support they lost, here's another coin that's centralized and controlled by one man that's gotten rich of the back of GPU miners he told he no longer cares about well he already screwed up the relationship and there's no turning back now
efudd

Activity: 504
Merit: 51

View Profile
October 31, 2018, 01:19:18 PM

Really late 2019 by the time that comes the difficulty will be outrageous and asic miners will fork the chain this is just zooko blowing smoke up GPU miners asses hoping to regain the support they lost, here's another coin that's centralized and controlled by one man that's gotten rich of the back of GPU miners he told he no longer cares about well he already screwed up the relationship and there's no turning back now

This. Zooko’s statement has no meanining was my read. “A year from now” is forever in crypto.

hashestohashes

Activity: 63

View Profile
October 31, 2018, 01:29:03 PM

Oh good, that means the antminer z9's will remain profitable for 1.5 years.

Seriously though, that's a long time away, a TON of things can happen by then.
coinut

Activity: 253
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 31, 2018, 01:38:55 PM

end of 2019. lol.

Quote:-

"I often think of my 14yo son, who used to mine Zcash on his gaming rig (when he wasn’t playing Fortnite PugBee). I think it would be really great if Zcash could be more accessible to more 14yo gamers"

The kid and others like him will mine something else get involved and might forget about zcash, shame I know but it is what it is.  

1 year is a long time in this space.

but on the bright side if they do switch back to GPU I'm all for it. (but I will not hold my breath).

fanatic26_

Activity: 294
Merit: 129

View Profile
October 31, 2018, 03:31:04 PM

I really love how entitled GPU miners tend to be. You think that YOU are the one that made the coins relevant but thats total bullshit. You saw it was one of the most profitable, you hopped on the bandwagon to make a buck (not to support the specific project) and then start crying when you dont like the profits, like the devs owe you something. You get paid for mining, they dont owe you shit, get over yourselves.
columbiamining

Activity: 38

View Profile
October 31, 2018, 03:51:12 PM

I really love how entitled GPU miners tend to be. You think that YOU are the one that made the coins relevant but thats total bullshit. You saw it was one of the most profitable, you hopped on the bandwagon to make a buck (not to support the specific project) and then start crying when you dont like the profits, like the devs owe you something. You get paid for mining, they dont owe you shit, get over yourselves.

Yes, because GPUs, CPUs, RAM, motherboards, routers, PDUs, and electricity all come for free. You act like miners don't have skin in the game. In exchange for offering up their equipment/time and securing a coin's network, miners are paid a very modest amount of profits. Miners have a vested interest as well as developers in the success of a coin. Often, it's a direct result of miners taking an interest in a coin that a coin realizes success.

To then have developers turn their backs (after promising ASIC resistance) is a slap in the face. GPU miners absolutely have a right to be upset if after dedicating their equipment, capital, and time, the devs discard the relationship as if miners weren't making a valuable contribution. Not to mention GPU miners often hold the coins that they mine, as opposed to warehouse-sized operations that must sell their mined coins to exchanges on a regular basis.

Until more coins switch to PoS, it just doesn't make sense to consolidate a network to a select few. Goes against the principles of crypto entirely.
umine

Activity: 405
Merit: 136

View Profile
October 31, 2018, 04:30:02 PM
Merited by uralcryptocoin (1)

In real nobody cry seriously. It's just a business nothing more. Someone choose ASICs, they have enough pros and enough cons. Also GPU rigs have own pros and cons. Nobody force to choose any type of mining, investment or smth else in crypto. It's an own choice of each one

GarySeven

Activity: 129
Merit: 17

View Profile
October 31, 2018, 06:39:00 PM

Man, this post is like a breath of fresh air not only because I am an invested ASIC miner but that I truly believe that ASICs are an evolution from CPU to GPU and on any other level crypto is evolving, not devolving.
lunobird

Activity: 846
Merit: 115

View Profile
October 31, 2018, 07:21:06 PM

To say goodbye antminer z9 made me laugh about how spoiled z9 owners are.

You haven't felt REAL PAIN as a miner.

Try buying a obelisk dcr1 then come talk to me.  That's real pain

dagarair

Activity: 847
Merit: 383

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2018, 07:41:21 PM

To say goodbye antminer z9 made me laugh about how spoiled z9 owners are.

You haven't felt REAL PAIN as a miner.

Try buying a obelisk dcr1 then come talk to me.  That's real pain

Didn't you get a sweet Obelisk batch 1 shirt though?   Tongue

4MW Data Center - I BUILT Tongue  - Full story below:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4789787.msg43227027#msg43227027
jhartbarger
Copper Member

Activity: 81
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 31, 2018, 08:47:14 PM

I always remember the day I decided not buy to buy any DCR1's.... I'm glad I missed that pain. I wish I missed the D9 pain but it can't sting as bad as  DCR1 purchases.
Xazax310 (OP)

Activity: 246

View Profile
November 01, 2018, 01:43:54 AM

I always remember the day I decided not buy to buy any DCR1's.... I'm glad I missed that pain. I wish I missed the D9 pain but it can't sting as bad as  DCR1 purchases.

I remember looking those as well in 2017, I didn't quite understand why people were buying them with a"6 month lead time" I thought that was insane. It's like pre-ordering No Mans Sky  Grin
iSparta

Activity: 728
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 02, 2018, 06:23:57 PM

If ZCash developers wanted to increase decentralization and influence of ASICs, they would have done it a long time ago. These are marketing statements aimed at increasing the attractiveness of coins.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: