Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 08:16:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dorian being Satoshi - For and Against analysis  (Read 1676 times)
FinnCoin (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 10:35:33 PM

Let's have a look at the circumstancial evidence for and against Dorian S Nakamoto being the Bitcoin founder.

For:
1) His birth name is Satoshi Nakamoto.
2) He appears to have education and skills required for inventing and programming the first version of Bitcoin.
3) He appears to hold libertan views in line with the Bitcoin ideology.
4) His time zone is consistent with the analysis of Satoshi Nakamoto's postings.

The matching names is the most (perhaps the only) compelling piece of the circumstancial evidence. Without the name match, it would not have been possible to locate him without somebody who knew him directly during the Bitcoin development (if there were any who knew him directly).

Against:
1) Some of his on-line writings show lack of mastering English adequately. However, there are examples of other on-line writings of his where he clearly masters English. If Dorian is indeed the Bitcoin founder, he either enjoys trolling or those poorly written excerpts are decoys to divert any on-line researchers seeking Satoshi Nakamoto off track.

I really can't find any other circumstancial evidence that would be against him being the Bitcoin founder.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 10:49:04 PM

Against:
1) Some of his on-line writings show lack of mastering English adequately. However, there are examples of other on-line writings of his where he clearly masters English. If Dorian is indeed the Bitcoin founder, he either enjoys trolling or those poorly written excerpts are decoys to divert any on-line researchers seeking Satoshi Nakamoto off track.

I really can't find any other circumstancial evidence that would be against him being the Bitcoin founder.

2.  He denied publicly that he is.
3.   Newsweek won't release the video
4.    Satoshi p2p account
5.    Common sense that the guy who encrypted everything even his email address would not use his real name.

What makes you think he has the skills?  Does he have a background specifically in software and cryptography?  My dad is a PhD engineer , very smart but he couldn't make bitcoin... Also the time zone argument is very weak ,even if true, and probably isn't because the time zone was never consistent

FinnCoin (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:01:13 PM

2.  He denied publicly that he is.
3.   Newsweek won't release the video
4.    Satoshi p2p account
5.    Common sense that the guy who encrypted everything even his email address would not use his real name.

What makes you think he has the skills?  Does he have a background specifically in software and cryptography?  My dad is a PhD engineer , very smart but he couldn't make bitcoin... Also the time one argument is very weak ,even if true, and probably isn't because the time zone was never consistent

I considered only the circumstancial evidence; not any statements from either party after the Newsweek allegation.

Satoshi p2p account is not evidence for or against; it is consistent regardless of Dorian being Satoshi or not.

As I said, the most compelling piece of evidence is the name match. Regarding the other pieces, they are weak as you say, but still consistent.

EDIT: Regarding
5.    Common sense that the guy who encrypted everything even his email address would not use his real name.[/quote]

Yes, this is the most compelling piece of evidence against Dorian NOT being Satoshi.
yamamushi

Activity: 10

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 11:04:38 PM

4.) I don't think the Time Zone argument means much, because there are plenty of us that are more active at night than daytime.
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:09:32 PM

But then again, wouldn't using an alias be a better way to throw them off track?
pajo

Activity: 5

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:11:19 PM

How many Satoshi Nakamotos are in world? Every fifth Chinese is Lee  Grin.
FinnCoin (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:17:18 PM

But then again, wouldn't using an alias be a better way to throw them off track?

If you were using an alias nobody seeking Satoshi Nakamoto would ever find that track. But in case your name can be connected to Satoshi Nakamoto on-line and you want to avoid that, it makes sense posting something that is not consistent you being Satoshi Nakamoto. Then any casual researcher will eliminate you as a potential 'suspect'.

As some others have noted, Satoshi probably didn't understand how big Bitcoin would eventually evolve, and it was only later that he wanted to cover his tracks.
RobFordWotWot

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

time

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:44:18 PM

How many Satoshi Nakamotos are in world? Every fifth Chinese is Lee  Grin.
That's racist and God will smite you.

Horses in midstream.
usabitcoinbuyer

Activity: 57

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 01:45:34 AM

Let's have a look at the circumstancial evidence for and against Dorian S Nakamoto being the Bitcoin founder.

For:
2) He appears to have education and skills required for inventing and programming the first version of Bitcoin.
4) His time zone is consistent with the analysis of Satoshi Nakamoto's postings.

The matching names is the most (perhaps the only) compelling piece of the circumstancial evidence. Without the name match, it would not have been possible to locate him without somebody who knew him directly during the Bitcoin development (if there were any who knew him directly).

Against:

F2) I have education and skills required for inventing and programming the first version of Bitcoin (Degree in physics, same as Dorian; Career C/C++ programmer)
F3) I hold libertarian views in line with the Bitcoin ideology
F4) My time zone is consistent with Satoshi's postings.
A1) My on-line writings should demonstrate mastery of English, though perhaps not as concise nor eloquent as Satoshi.

So, apart from F1) My birth name is not Satoshi Nakamoto, circumstantial evidence might suggest that *I* am the real Satoshi.

goose20
Legendary

Activity: 1173
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 01:52:53 AM

For:

Against:

F2) I have education and skills required for inventing and programming the first version of Bitcoin (Degree in physics, same as Dorian; Career C/C++ programmer)
F3) I hold libertarian views in line with the Bitcoin ideology
F4) My time zone is consistent with Satoshi's postings.
A1) My on-line writings should demonstrate mastery of English, though perhaps not as concise nor eloquent as Satoshi.

So, apart from F1) My birth name is not Satoshi Nakamoto, circumstantial evidence might suggest that *I* am the real Satoshi.

OMG - You've finally revealed yourself o great one.  All hail usabitcoinbuyer. lol

Nice way of debunking all this circumstantial BS.

A guy has the same name, so it must be him. Please.

FinnCoin (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:50:46 AM

Yeah, if your birth name were Satoshi Nakamoto, you would be a possible match. But your birth name is not. And that is the one-in-a-ten-million circumstance.
usabitcoinbuyer

Activity: 57

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 06:59:31 AM

Yeah, if your birth name were Satoshi Nakamoto, you would be a possible match. But your birth name is not. And that is the one-in-a-ten-million circumstance.

Because if I were the real Satoshi, I would have used my birth name on the design paper?  Perhaps I would have used the name of a random young gentleman I met once at the Crown & Anchor, who very clearly was not involved with Bitcoin, because I thought the name had a certain mystique.
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092

Touchdown

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 08:04:53 AM

I think the cops corroborating the report is interesting ie saying that Dorian knew the topic was Bitcoin and that he did indeed use the words "no longer involved". It looks like he changed his story when he spoke to the AP guy.
relm9

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 08:24:19 AM

Dorian seems to be more engineer than programmer. Nothing I've heard suggests he has a strong background in cryptography, either. So, the notion he has the skillset required is kind of weak.
FinnCoin (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 08:37:58 AM

Because if I were the real Satoshi, I would have used my birth name on the design paper?  Perhaps I would have used the name of a random young gentleman I met once at the Crown & Anchor, who very clearly was not involved with Bitcoin, because I thought the name had a certain mystique.

As said, the evidence presented is all circumstancial.

Regarding your example, the reporters would be searching Satoshi based on this random guy's name. If they found a person with same name and who has the credible attributes to be the Bitcoin founder, it would obviously be a false positive. Yes, it is possible that Dorian is mistakenly identified as Satoshi.
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 08:38:20 AM

I think the cops corroborating the report is interesting ie saying that Dorian knew the topic was Bitcoin and that he did indeed use the words "no longer involved". It looks like he changed his story when he spoke to the AP guy.

The cops didnt say that idiot.

They agreed the quotes are accurate, not the report
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092

Touchdown

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 09:24:01 AM

The cops didnt say that idiot.

They agreed the quotes are accurate, not the report
Okay, dick head.

I was referring to the LA times article which says:
Capt. Mike Parker said he has spoken to both deputies who responded to the suspicious persons call on Feb.20. He said "one of the two deputies had heard of bitcoins but only knew vaguely about them" prior to the call. He said the reporters' statements and questions about Bitcoin prompted the conversation.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: