Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 12:09:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MTGOX whistleblower...the plot thickens.  (Read 5308 times)
TPN

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

How did it get so late, so soon?

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 02:17:55 AM

I'm tripping everyday going by.
Nicholas-Carraway

Activity: 150
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 02:56:42 AM

The problem with TBI's stance is that he's threatening to publish the information unless Vessenes and Matonis step down, which implies that he won't publish it if they do.  

That's not bringing transparency to the activities of the Foundation.  If he has evidence of wrong-doing, then he should publish it whether or not Vessenes and Matonis step down.  If he doesn't, then he becomes complicit in the "cover up" he alleges is occurring.

He's rapidly becoming the kind of media whore he yesterday accused Leah McGrath Goodman of being.  Unless he's willing to publish and be damned regardless of whether or not Vessenes and Matonis step down, then he's not a crusader for truth at all - he's just another egomaniac seeking validation.

I agree completely.  His approach does raise questions about his motivations.  If he really just wants the resignations, why not just publish it and expect the resignations to come, as they should, after the information is released and if it is true. 

His last major revelation (the MtGox “Crisis Strategy Draft"), was given to him like a gift by some insider who is "well connected in the industry", and it definitely had an impact on the market.  Why did the insider give the draft crisis document to a blogger in the first place?   This latest revelation MAY have a similar impact on the market too.  Where did TBI get this info about corruption at the foundation?

Perhaps a market impact was always the intention. And his latest blog is constructed to provide maximum Drama. 

According to Ryan Selkis (TBI)'s LinkedIn page: He is "the Founder of Inscrypto, Bitcoin's decentralized, privately funded version of the FDIC. We reduce volatility for consumers while helping hedge funds invest in bitcoin."

Not saying that Vessenes and Matonis are innocent, but it just makes you wonder what's really behind all the style.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 03:14:10 AM

I agree completely.  His approach does raise questions about his motivations.  If he really just wants the resignations, why not just publish it and expect the resignations to come, as they should, after the information is released and if it is true.

I think his original motives were probably fine.  I just think that he's come to believe in the "persona" of TBI too much now and that it's clouding his judgement.

A couple of weeks ago, he was just another blogger with opinions on Bitcoin stuff.  He got handed some pretty explosive information and now he thinks he's Bob Woodward or Carl Bernstein.  He's making himself the story by adopting this "fearless crusader for Bitcoin truth" persona and I guess he's kind of intoxicated by all the kudos he got for the MtGox Crisis Draft story.  All of a sudden he feels very important in the Bitcoin space and it's clouding his judgement.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 03:23:30 AM

What a whistleblower does is blow a whistle, that is, tell the truth about something.

Not try to make a deal in exchange for his silence that basically amounts to "Do what I say or else."  That's what a blackmailer does.
bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 03:25:09 AM

bitcoin is in need of serious cleaning, a new start. seriously.
Kenshin

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 03:25:57 AM

Everyday more interesting news related to Bitcoin pops out. I wonder what other shocking news will there be tomorrow.  Tongue

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 03:26:11 AM

corruption like any other
Yep. Just cause it's bitcoin it's a huge deal, but if this was some typical FIAT banksters that did it, everyone would just shrug and bail them out.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
tayfun73

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 03:26:50 AM

Never trust a third party. Let's just put all of our coins into cold storage and call it a day huh?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 03:31:42 AM

Everyday more interesting news related to Bitcoin pops out. I wonder what other shocking news will there be tomorrow.  Tongue

Genjix announces that he's having another closet sale, and I'll formally announce that I'm Rassah's mother.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 03:31:59 AM

The Forum was also complicit in the MTGOX mess. The MODS would shit-can any negative post or question regarding the solvency of MTGOX.  Hope the those specific MODS lost everything on GOX.

I don't recall this, I was warning people about Gox for years (as were many others) and I don't recall having any posts deleted.

The forum was not complicit. The mods moved threads to the appropriate location. A lot of people seem to get mad when threads get moved to the appropriate location. Apparently if it isn't under "Bitcoin Discussion" it doesn't exist for them and they forget about it.

I personally think the mods are too lax.
Hint: Pangia is one of many trolls whose purpose here is to disrupt the forum.

The only unknown is whether he just does it for kicks, or is a paid professional.
darkmule
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 06:10:22 AM

corruption like any other
Yep. Just cause it's bitcoin it's a huge deal, but if this was some typical FIAT banksters that did it, everyone would just shrug and bail them out.

Nuke a niche currency that (at least currently) has little effect on the economy outside that niche, and because the banksters hate it, the media they own have a field day.

Nuke the entire economy of the world?  Here, have some free money from the taxpayers so you can double your bonuses this year.
gollum

Activity: 434

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 06:22:25 AM

I feel like I'm watching a movie everyday.
This is more exciting than most thrillers Wink
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 06:25:35 AM
Last edit: March 08, 2014, 06:36:12 AM by Bit_Happy

Edit: I hadn't read the thread carefully enough. The comments here are more balanced than i first thought.

• Whistleblower Threatens to Expose Corruption at Bitcoin Foundation is "reporting" on a post by "The Two-Bit Idiot"
    Read the comments at Reddit (compared to here/this thread), and prepare to be surprised.

Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 06:28:11 AM

The Forum was also complicit in the MTGOX mess. The MODS would shit-can any negative post or question regarding the solvency of MTGOX.  Hope the those specific MODS lost everything on GOX.

I don't recall this, I was warning people about Gox for years (as were many others) and I don't recall having any posts deleted.

The forum was not complicit. The mods moved threads to the appropriate location. A lot of people seem to get mad when threads get moved to the appropriate location. Apparently if it isn't under "Bitcoin Discussion" it doesn't exist for them and they forget about it.

I personally think the mods are too lax.

The forum might be OK, but the Bitcoin Foundation looks really bad right now.

BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 06:30:44 AM

if people who want to elect themselves to try to be the face of bitcoin are doing unethical things or comitting fraud or what not ,  it should be released.  it's the bitcoin community self regulating itself.

with that said,  whats with all the dramatics.  just release the documents man, stop trying make a name for yourself and cause added drama and suspense.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 06:32:38 AM

....whats with all the dramatics.  just release the documents man, stop trying make a name for yourself and cause added drama and suspense.

Yep, that is exactly what Reddit was ripping on him for.

bitcoin is in need of serious cleaning, a new start. seriously.

Not just new leaders, but a whole new "foundation".

darkmule
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 07:21:49 AM

A phrase my grandfather used to say comes to mind.  "Shit or get off the pot."
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 07:36:54 AM

A phrase my grandfather used to say comes to mind.  "Shit or get off the pot."

Did you throw the pot at his face after you're done " here,,, all yours.... bitch!"

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 07:44:16 AM

Let's see if we can get 10 to 15 more MtGox and Satoshi threads going. We're running low on places to post meaningless horseshit about those two subjects.

Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 07:55:12 AM

Let's see if we can get 10 to 15 more MtGox and Satoshi threads going. We're running low on places to post meaningless horseshit about those two subjects.

Do mods ever combine threads here, it might be a good idea.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: