Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 12:21:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT Password Recovery Tool! / NXT mining rig ( :) )  (Read 4707 times)
williamevanl (OP)

Activity: 404
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 02:12:38 AM
Last edit: March 08, 2014, 04:03:02 AM by williamevanl

I'm always forgetting my passwords so I've created a NXT password recovery tool. Basically you provide it a list of your possible passwords and it tries them against every NXT account and lets you know when it finds your account.

Its a simple executable jar, you run ./unlock.jar   (with your wordlist named words) and in seconds it spits out:

1XXXXX6 goes with-> 13265985987339974375
1XXXXXX5 goes with-> 13888415127028438325
1XXXXXXX9 goes with-> 9145748622157025476
PXXXXXXXXd goes with-> 17946328911576397249
6XXXXXXXX1 goes with-> 16866580466432022750
mXXXXXXXXl goes with-> 353866013030102193
qXXXXXXXXy goes with-> 507719274119471401
1XXXXXXXX0 goes with-> 16958579998696111878
sXXXXXXXXXn goes with-> 1381199936781422049
hXXXXXXXXXo goes with-> 3530952447553796006

... (XXX's added because those accounts/brainwallet addresses aren't mine)

I don't know if it would help anyone else but I'd offer it out for a small donation. Smiley (Also you have to promise not to do anything illegal with it, only plan to give out 10 for educational purposes)

NXT: 10529688047532253405
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 02:32:34 AM

You just opened a Pandora's Box ...

Perhaps Nxt can actually be "mined", after all.  Grin

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
williamevanl (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 02:39:14 AM

Perhaps Nxt can actually be "mined", after all.  Grin

I suppose that's possible but that would be stealing. (and that's wrong). I will say though that when I ran an api balance check and saw someone holding 975,000 NXT with a 4 character all lowercase password my mind melted. (They still have their money, Smiley obviously or I wouldn't be posting that here! )

-Will
feedmemore

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 02:45:36 AM

wow, and who can reverse this now!!
more secure passwords, more secure passwords..
Wipeout2097

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 02:47:24 AM

I suppose that's possible but that would be stealing. (and that's wrong). I will say though that when I ran an api balance check and saw someone holding 975,000 NXT with a 4 character all lowercase password my mind melted. (They still have their money, Smiley obviously or I wouldn't be posting that here! )

-Will

You are a very kind and genuine, but naive person.  Sad

██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
williamevanl (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 03:41:08 AM
Last edit: March 08, 2014, 03:54:17 AM by williamevanl

Looks like 8 left, I can also provide the java source code if someone would prefer to look at the code and run it that way. It's kind of neat just to see what people have used for passphrases:

123456789012345678901234567890XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX89012345678901234567890123456789 0 goes with-> 2150793311394299018
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 03:57:43 AM

It's a "feature".

What you fail to understand is that in order to brute force an unsecured account requires not only SHA asics, but also curve ASICS, which there are none of now.  but like as has been stated many times for you already here, this is intentional; to allow 'mining' of lost NXT in the future.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=366105.msg4785565#msg4785565

Nxt passwords are supposed to be at least 30 random uppercase/lowercase/number characters, why the client simply doesn't generate these itself and then save them in a wallet.dat is beyond me.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
williamevanl (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 04:06:29 AM

It's a "feature".

What you fail to understand is that in order to brute force an unsecured account requires not only SHA asics, but also curve ASICS, which there are none of now.  but like as has been stated many times for you already here, this is intentional; to allow 'mining' of lost NXT in the future.

Nxt passwords are supposed to be at least 30 random uppercase/lowercase/number characters, why the client simply doesn't generate these itself and then save them in a wallet.dat is beyond me.

I've updated the subject of the email based on this post. It's an interesting possibility.
leo66

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 04:30:12 AM

That's a good method to "mined" nxt.When yon mine any coin, must be exciting

NTXCoin - 20%Free+75%IPO Next Exchange System address:15788835964854428501
New Economy Movement http://www.ournem.com/
NEM:TAJTLH-CH7MYT-6I5B74-SNVBIA-XEMRQC-2E42WT-Q337
Wipeout2097

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:25:02 AM

It's a "feature".

Wow!  Roll Eyes

I'm not going to pay for this kind of ( more elaborate) software, but I'm sooo tempted to make a python scrypt and dictionary attack this crap, just to see how many accounts I can find with non-zero balance.

██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████

██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
williamevanl (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:35:53 AM
Last edit: March 08, 2014, 05:47:05 AM by williamevanl

It's a "feature".

Wow!  Roll Eyes

I'm not going to pay for this kind of ( more elaborate) software, but I'm sooo tempted to make a python scrypt and dictionary attack this crap, just to see how many accounts I can find with non-zero balance.

I wanted to go the python route (love Python!) but ran into some issues finding the two types of encryption in Python libraries. You'll have to let me know if you get it figured out. (I think SHA256 was actually available to some extent but not Curve)
williamevanl (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 08:08:31 PM

(I'm now down to 7)
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 09:47:58 PM

Are u running this against an offline blockchain ?

Because if you are running this attack against the live NXT network,  then congratulations, mate,  u have made an account generator.

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
ChuckOne

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 09:58:39 PM

Because if you are running this attack against the live NXT network,  then congratulations, mate,  u have made an account generator.

How is that? As long as he does not transfer money FROM that account, no account is created.
LiQio
Legendary

Activity: 1181
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 10:12:16 PM

I wanted to go the python route (love Python!) but ran into some issues finding the two types of encryption in Python libraries. You'll have to let me know if you get it figured out. (I think SHA256 was actually available to some extent but not Curve)

This one not working
- https://github.com/Hatswitch/cirripede/tree/master/curve25519-python
?
williamevanl (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 10:17:16 PM

I just have it scan the blockchain for all transactions and account numbers. (all offline following that)
williamevanl (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 10:40:04 PM

This one not working
?

There are minor variations is the different implementations. The 64-bit integer implementation of Curve25519 in Java (ported from C) just worked for me out of the box.
LiQio
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 10:45:24 PM

This one not working
?

There are minor variations is the different implementations. The 64-bit integer implementation of Curve25519 in Java (ported from C) just worked for me out of the box.

Could you elaborate? (bold part)

Moreover: Does your tool support GPUs for recovery (e.g. uses jCuda)? what about the performance, any specifics?

thanks
williamevanl (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 10:54:45 PM

This one not working
?

Moreover: Does your tool support GPUs for recovery (e.g. uses jCuda)? what about the performance, any specifics?
thanks

I'm certainly no expert in the different implmentations but a quick google search shows:

Implementation   Platform   Author   32-bit speed   64-bit speed   Constant time
curve25519    x86 32-bit   djb    265µs    N/A    yes
curve25519-donna-c64    64-bit C   agl    N/A    215µs    yes
curve25591-donna    Portable C   agl    2179µs    610µs    yes

My tool does not support GPU's (my expectation though is that it would be used with pre-defined wordlists and not random permutations. ) I don't have any metrics on number of hashes a second or anything like that. (it's the exact same implementation built into the NXT protocol)

I did rent one of Amazons EC2's supercomputer 'cc2.8xlarge' for a day ($60 bucks). I can say that was blazingly fast compared to my laptop. Smiley
LiQio
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 11:01:41 PM

This one not working
?

thanks

I'm certainly no expert in the different implmentations but a quick google search shows:

Implementation   Platform   Author   32-bit speed   64-bit speed   Constant time
curve25519    x86 32-bit   djb    265µs    N/A    yes
curve25519-donna-c64    64-bit C   agl    N/A    215µs    yes
curve25591-donna    Portable C   agl    2179µs    610µs    yes

My tool does not support GPU's (my expectation though is that it would be used with pre-defined wordlists and not random permutations. ) I don't have any metrics on number of hashes a second or anything like that. (it's the exact same implementation built into the NXT protocol)

I did rent one of Amazons EC2's supercomputer for a day ($60 bucks). I can say that was blazingly fast compared to my laptop. Smiley

ok, so https://github.com/Hatswitch/cirripede/tree/master/curve25519-python could be working.

ok, so same code as good old vanitygen from jlp, with added wordlist and scan blockchain/transactions functionality.

thanks for answering
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: