Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:39:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to prevent my account from being hacked!  (Read 176 times)
Ardavan2150 (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

View Profile
November 04, 2018, 12:38:47 PM

Hi all,

Recently I have seen a lot of topics about hacked accounts and requests of help for getting back these accounts.

I know no one in their right mind will ever try to hack a shitty "member" account with only 11 merits (i.e. yours truly), regardless, what should I do to prevent this from happening to me. I have a very strong password, bookmarked this website and only sign on using my personal computer. Anything else that I should do?

Thank you all

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 04, 2018, 12:42:38 PM

Anything else that I should do?

Many things actually. Care about computer hygiene. Don't download and execute files you are not sure about their trusted source.
Always be vigiliant about phishing websites (check address bar carefully).
There are so many rules that its hard to describe them all, experience matters here.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6125

View Profile
November 04, 2018, 12:46:24 PM

A hack does not necessarily target a single user. It's very possible that someone is trying to crack accounts by using credentials that were leaked from this forum in the past or even other websites.

Aside from using a strong password and having a clean computer, make sure to stack an address that you can sign an address from, that way, even If you get hacked in the future, the administration will help you get your account back.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Marcel555

Activity: 252
Merit: 4

View Profile
November 04, 2018, 12:57:13 PM

As already stated there is a thread on here where users can stake an address linked to their profile and it can be used to prove ownership should one lose control of the account.
The recovery process is a little slow (although there are motions to automate it).

Always do your part to ensure your safety, use a strong password and keep it safe not to lose it.
Protect your email and password from unauthorized access.
Avoid phishing links.
DTalk

Activity: 135
Merit: 126

I no longer own bitcoinbangladesh.info domain.

View Profile
November 04, 2018, 01:37:37 PM

Here you go- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4920096.msg44294262#msg44294262

কাউকে বিশ্বাস করার দরকার নাই ক্রিপ্টো জগতে, সবকিছু ভেরিফাই করতে পারবেন।
Buttermellow

Activity: 462
Merit: 14

View Profile
November 04, 2018, 01:38:53 PM

Many things actually. Care about computer hygiene. Don't download and execute files you are not sure about their trusted source.
Always be vigiliant about phishing websites (check address bar carefully).
There are so many rules that its hard to describe them all, experience matters here.
Good thing to know that I am not computer wizard that always looking for some application to download to modify computer set up. It is sometimes a help to not do anything about the computer except the monthly maintenance i.e. running computer virus scanner system. And definitely I agree with you stating that experience does really matter here. I have experience already getting phished out by an offer that lead me to disclose account details (not in BCT) including password of that account, its email and password. So, I am now more careful with hacking activities.
Ardavan2150 (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 12

View Profile
November 04, 2018, 05:56:33 PM

Don't download and execute files you are not sure about their trusted source.

I never thought about that. Since I am using a MacBook I always have had the feeling that I am much more secured compared to Windows users. But you are right. I will be more vigilant from now on.
DdmrDdmr
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 10759

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2018, 06:16:41 PM

<…>I never thought about that. Since I am using a MacBook I always have had the feeling that I am much more secured compared to Windows users. But you are right. I will be more vigilant from now on.
Apple environments are safer in terms of there being less malware, but are certainly not immune. Just this week there was some news related to a Mac app called Conticker (see https://9to5mac.com/2018/10/30/cointicker). The app is used to keep track of cryptocurrency price on the menu bar, but now allegedly serves as a backdoor that could lead to your crypto actives being stolen.

Regardless, phishing sites are not too difficult to fall for either. Simply by performing a standard google search with the term "Bitcointalk" and some other refinement criteria will often show amongst the top entries links to the Bitcointalk site ending in "to" and not "org". That is a phishing site, and if you decide to perform a login there after the external search, your credentials will end up being seriously compromised and likely hacked in the short term. For searches, it is always recommendable to search using the "site:bitcointalk.org"  particle.

The link provided by @DTalk leads to a very good guide by @sncc with some important security guidelines to consider.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: