Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:15:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How likely do you think it is that Dorian is Satoshi, founder of Bitcoin?
0% - 63 (32.5%)
10% - 55 (28.4%)
20% - 9 (4.6%)
30% - 12 (6.2%)
40% - 6 (3.1%)
50% - 10 (5.2%)
60% - 4 (2.1%)
70% - 4 (2.1%)
80% - 11 (5.7%)
90% - 10 (5.2%)
100% - 10 (5.2%)
Total Voters: 194

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: How likely do you think it is that Dorian is Satoshi, founder of Bitcoin?  (Read 2067 times)
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 10:52:54 AM

I would say 1% likely cause you don't know what you don't know.  But generally there's clear evidence the guy wanted to be anonymous and you don't use your real name if that's your goal.

That only happens when he realized that this actually involves huge fortune, not when he contributes an idea.

But we know he used Tor from the start. Look at what he created, and how he created it - he knew the stakes.

This space intentionally left blank.
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
progamerbet.com

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 08:05:26 AM

I would say 1% likely cause you don't know what you don't know.  But generally there's clear evidence the guy wanted to be anonymous and you don't use your real name if that's your goal.

Where is the clear evidence that he wanted to remain anonymous?  So many people say "he always used tor." Where is the evidence that he always used tor?

Could this perhaps be a Satoshi myth that has been spread around the forums?  Sort of like an el chapo situation, forum hearsay that added to his legendary mythical status.  "He always used tor and 7 proxies and never posted personal details, he can never be caught!"

I think he probably used his real name because he already felt anonymous posting on obscure mailing lists and forums that only a handful of people read at the time.

Same reason Ulbricht posted his personal gmail.  It was an obscure internet forum that hardly anyone frequented back then.

There's no way Satoshi could have predicted that Bitcoin would turn into a global phenomenon that would make Satoshi Nakamoto a household name and send reporters swarming to his door.
When bitcoin became popular he didn't come out and say hey I did it and take advantage of his fame. He didn't spend any of his bitcoins even though they are now worth massive amounts of money. I think you can conclude from that that he wants to be anonymous.
ebliever (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 04:32:10 PM

Well, now that Dorian is clearly and unequivocally denying any involvement with Bitcoin, it requires calling him a flat-out liar to continue to believe he is our Satoshi. It's one thing to be caught off guard and obfuscate, which I thought he might be doing initially. But now that he's strongly denying it, my assessment is dropping from 60% to 10%. (Actually more like 1-2%, if I had given myself that option!)

Talk about spectacularly botching the relaunch of their print edition. Newsweak really is their proper name....

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
justme27

Activity: 64
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 04:43:13 PM

It is telling that satoshi broke his silence to say he was not Dorian.

P2Pfoundation link

The real Satoshi risked exposure to clear Dorian's name.

Don't forget, right after that was posted someone came in on this forum claiming he faked that post.

1NTLM3PfNgfBdRACPYFyrDJpzqt9QcocVZ
Klestin

Activity: 493
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 06:23:32 PM

There wasn't a 1 or 2 percent, so I voted 0%.
Same here.
ebliever (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 07:04:09 PM

I'd like to co-opt my own thread to ask a dumb question I can't find answered anywhere: On our profiles, what does "Activity" mean? Mine has been stuck at 28 for a good long while and I can't figure out what makes it budge. Does this mean I'll have "newbie" stamped on my forehead forever? Or is my newbie status a function of # of posts?

tkbx

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:11:33 AM

I suppose there's always a chance, but there are much more credible theories, and it's very likely that none of the theories are correct.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 04:17:46 AM

I'd like to co-opt my own thread to ask a dumb question I can't find answered anywhere: On our profiles, what does "Activity" mean? Mine has been stuck at 28 for a good long while and I can't figure out what makes it budge. Does this mean I'll have "newbie" stamped on my forehead forever? Or is my newbie status a function of # of posts?

Post count is a factor, but scammers were gaming it. I don't post much, but I have triple-digit activity because I was here since 2011.

Thread explaining it.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 04:23:34 AM

It's pretty obvious that he is not the guy...

dKingston

Activity: 482

LAUNDER BITCOIN: https://BitLaunder.com

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 06:11:54 AM

I think he is not the guy.

LAUNDER & ANONYMIZE YOUR BITCOIN:
https://www.BitLaunder.com/?aid=41
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 06:39:45 AM

When i read the newsweek article, I was looking for something along the lines of communication from an IP address tied to one of his online accounts and also tied to his residence, all date and time-stamped of course.  Either that or a videotaped or possibly voice recorded confession by him with some sort of electronic proof.  Instead she found a guy with the last name Nakamoto who used to be an engineer, along with a confusing conversation.  That is the most pathetic piece of journalism I have ever seen.  Its like a modern day witch hunt.  I am now thoroughly convinced that satoshi will not be found unless he reveals himself.

Good summary.
It's interesting that he had the same name and has a history of secret Gov work, but there was no real, solid evidence when the story was publish.

umair127

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 01:05:47 AM

0%. I don't think that he is the real Satoshi Nakamoto for a simple reason. If he would be the real one an wanted to be anonymous he would change his real name or he wouldn't not use his real name. So, the real Satoshi (if he exist and is not a group of people) must have another name.

right, but I really wanna know how did he come about choosing that name, relation to a person or just randomly searched a japanese name to throw us off, or did he choose cause he thougt it sounded good.

Joshuar

Activity: 504

eidoo wallet

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 01:06:36 AM

When i read the newsweek article, I was looking for something along the lines of communication from an IP address tied to one of his online accounts and also tied to his residence, all date and time-stamped of course.  Either that or a videotaped or possibly voice recorded confession by him with some sort of electronic proof.  Instead she found a guy with the last name Nakamoto who used to be an engineer, along with a confusing conversation.  That is the most pathetic piece of journalism I have ever seen.  Its like a modern day witch hunt.  I am now thoroughly convinced that satoshi will not be found unless he reveals himself.

+1, couldn't have said it better myself.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
Watchy312

Activity: 193
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 11:26:07 AM

I believe it is Nick Szabo
ebliever (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 12:55:33 PM

After learning more on the subject, I'm inclined to agree Nick is the best guess at this point. Definitely not Dorian at any rate.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: