Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 06:07:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A catch in the blockchain.com XLM airdrop - KYC ! Thoughts ?  (Read 439 times)
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 22, 2018, 12:00:16 PM

BTW, did you guys noticed? On blockchain.com "Bitcoin" is not mentioned a single time (excluding the sticker price) Roll Eyes

I noticed that too recently. It seems that they are planning to become more of an all round platform rather than just a site for Bitcoin, but that's not an excuse to blank out the Bitcoin part.

If you visit; https://www.blockchain.com/ you'll see that they point out Ethereum explorer in full, but refer to Bitcoin's explorer as explorer, nothing more.

If you visit; https://www.blockchain.com/explorer you'll see that they point out Bitcoin explorer in full.

It surprises me that they haven't launched a BCash explorer yet.  Roll Eyes
timerland

Activity: 1526
Merit: 596

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 11:41:39 PM

So blockchain.com is doing a $125mil XLM giveaway to their users, but they require a KYC to be done to qualify for it. I have seen a lot of people absolutely hate on them for that, what are your thoughts ? Do you think its basically a “Give us your personal info for $25” situation or are they really just doing it for the airdrop not being absolutely exploited by greedy scammers ?

I don't think that anyone trusts blockchain.com anymore like they used to after their promises were completely broken.

But this does seem like a way of getting people to hand over their personal information, be able to link that personal information to the blockchain.com wallet that they are using, potentially, and match transactions to a person.

I'd be cautious of this due to the fact that you're handing over personal ID to a company which has really not upheld a lot of their promises in terms of implementing features like Segwit, but handing over personal information to any third party service that deals with your finances over the internet is a risky proposition. At the very least, if you really want the airdrop, then don't use blockchain.com as your primary wallet afterwards.

Smiley
ifontaine

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2019, 02:12:08 AM

I was quite surprise and a bit suspicious about the issue of KYC but after doing some research & thinking, I believe KYC wasn't an option for them, they still have to follow legistlations. 

How could they prove they really give away their XLM and not use an airdrop for money laundering, how can they make sure someone does not create hundred of accounts to receive thousands dollars worth of XLM, etc. KYC is probably the only way for them to do a lawful airdrop as a foundation located in the United States.

zeit!geist

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 11, 2019, 08:35:49 PM

what personal documents do they require for KYC?
just ID?
sunsilk

Activity: 2940
Merit: 620

View Profile
April 11, 2019, 09:00:58 PM

what personal documents do they require for KYC?
just ID?
With the first level, it requires you some info of yours and that will allow you as a Silver labeled account with $1,000 max of swapping.

This is the last step that I didn't pursue.

Last Step. Let's Confirm It's You

We need to confirm your identity with a government issued ID and selfie. Before proceeding, make sure you have one of the following forms of ID handy and your camera is enabled.
  • Government Issued Passport
  • Driver’s License
  • National Identity Card

zeit!geist

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 11, 2019, 09:05:22 PM

thank you!
so i´m out of this.
why giving out documents, which are sufficient to open a bank account, for a lousy $25.  Roll Eyes
sunsilk

Activity: 2940
Merit: 620

View Profile
April 12, 2019, 09:22:07 AM

thank you!
so i´m out of this.
why giving out documents, which are sufficient to open a bank account, for a lousy $25.  Roll Eyes
You're welcome.

Yes, there's no sense to give out your documents for the sake of $25 worth of XLM. You can even get it through trading or spending your spare money. There were people who claimed it and it's their choice, there's two purpose of it.

• Account upgrade for their blockchain.com account
  • $25 XLM

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: