Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:08:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [5$] Changing Skype avatar  (Read 196 times)
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6135

View Profile
November 08, 2018, 11:40:11 AM

From my understanding, Skype keeps everything locally after your first login and then keep updating it.

I know that the database can be found in %AppData%/Skype. I opened main.db using an SQLite database browser. It worked fine and I can see the details and update them just fine.

The images are stored as BLOB (binary large object) in the table contacts (column 'avatar_image'). I tried to set that to NULL, saved the file, restarted Skype but nothing happened.

If I open the main.db file again (after restarting skype etc.), I can see that the image is still set to NULL. So if it is set to null, where is Skype getting the image from?

In short, I want someone who could give me a solution to change a profile picture (inappropriate one) of a contact of mine or simply remove it just so I can't see it anymore.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
KingZee

Activity: 910
Merit: 452

Check your coin privilege

View Profile
November 08, 2018, 11:49:03 AM

Maybe you need to change the big avatar as well? Try deleting the data in the profile_attachments column too.

Taken from : https://superuser.com/questions/700556/where-does-skype-store-the-avatar-pictures-of-my-contacts

Another thought, if this still doesnt work, maybe instead of NULL, try replacing it with another blob. Its possible a null value triggers a call to skype servers to fetch the image on load. Just a personal idea though, not sure.

Beep boop beep boop
fer3219

Activity: 191
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 06:46:29 AM
Merited by KingZee (1)

what about just deleting it ( your contact )  or telling them directly to change their avatar ? thats the most easy way .

18yPC6feMNVFnq58aDvW7JcetJXfQzMU1K
CoolWave

Activity: 630
Merit: 107

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 10:13:48 AM
Last edit: November 09, 2018, 02:47:34 PM by CoolWave

From my understanding, Skype keeps everything locally after your first login and then keep updating it.

I know that the database can be found in %AppData%/Skype. I opened main.db using an SQLite database browser. It worked fine and I can see the details and update them just fine.

The images are stored as BLOB (binary large object) in the table contacts (column 'avatar_image'). I tried to set that to NULL, saved the file, restarted Skype but nothing happened.

If I open the main.db file again (after restarting skype etc.), I can see that the image is still set to NULL. So if it is set to null, where is Skype getting the image from?

In short, I want someone who could give me a solution to change a profile picture (inappropriate one) of a contact of mine or simply remove it just so I can't see it anymore.

It is also possible that Skype could be bringing the data from their own server instead of local database . You can ask that contact directly Smiley
ForeversFairyTale

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 10:21:27 AM

You need to change your avatar on Outlook/Hotmail  Smiley
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6135

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 03:39:54 PM

Maybe you need to change the big avatar as well? Try deleting the data in the profile_attachments column too.

Taken from : https://superuser.com/questions/700556/where-does-skype-store-the-avatar-pictures-of-my-contacts

Another thought, if this still doesnt work, maybe instead of NULL, try replacing it with another blob. Its possible a null value triggers a call to skype servers to fetch the image on load. Just a personal idea though, not sure.

I've actually started from that stackexchange post but I couldn't manage to get it working. I mean, you can get the pictures but editing them doesn't do much.

I have tried to change basic details such as the mood text etc. just to make sure I didn't do anything wrong but that didn't work either, the messages are still the same and now looking at the file before being edited (because I took a backup of main.db) apparently, It hasn't been edited since June which is around the time I installed Skype on my computer so for some reason, maybe nothing is being retrieved locally after all.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
KingZee

Activity: 910
Merit: 452

Check your coin privilege

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 04:27:21 PM

I've actually started from that stackexchange post but I couldn't manage to get it working. I mean, you can get the pictures but editing them doesn't do much.

I have tried to change basic details such as the mood text etc. just to make sure I didn't do anything wrong but that didn't work either, the messages are still the same and now looking at the file before being edited (because I took a backup of main.db) apparently, It hasn't been edited since June which is around the time I installed Skype on my computer so for some reason, maybe nothing is being retrieved locally after all.

That's basically what it boils down to, if Skype isn't fetching the data from the main.db , you need to check where it's getting it from.
I mean that stackoverflow post is over 4 years old, so maybe things changed since then. I also don't use skype myself, so I can't effectively help you as much.

You can try a few things :

- (Backup then) Delete the whole folder under your username and see if Skype re-creates it, and verify where it stores cached profile pics.

-If it is storing them locally, try to modify the file to a 1x1 white jpg or something, rather than deleting / NULLing it on the db, that way you're sure Skype won't update it.

- User Fiddler / Wireshark / (tcpflow on linux), to monitor http requests, open skype, and try checking if Skype is retrieving the pic over the net, rather than the local file. If it always retrieves the pic from their servers, you can add a line in your hosts.etc file on windows to block that specific request. (or Firewall rule, whatever goes.)

Beep boop beep boop
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: