Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 03:23:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: S9j unit says S9i in System Overview - incorrect firmware flash?  (Read 213 times)
Ameador1 (OP)

Activity: 124
Merit: 47

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 05:37:13 AM

I just got this unit used - the box, miner labels, etc - all say S9j-14T - but GUI System Overview says it is an S9i? What's wrong here? Can it be that previous owner accidentally flashed with S9i firmware? Is this another issue?

If so, just re-flash S9j firmware to fix?

Thanks!
tim-bc

Activity: 538
Merit: 175

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 05:02:17 PM

You can flash the s9j firmware if you want, but there may be no need to do so if all of the boards are hashing like they should.

Ignore scammers on Skype, Telegram, etc. I will only ever contact you via forum PMs. See profile for fingerprint.
Ameador1 (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 06:43:28 PM

You can flash the s9j firmware if you want, but there may be no need to do so if all of the boards are hashing like they should.

So, if I flash S9j fw and its not good, just re-flash S9i fw?
Steamtyme
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 2036

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 08:42:06 PM

I would say the bigger takeaway is if this miner works properly as is just leave it.

Is there a chance that the person you bought them through just messed up a model number?

░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀█
███░░░▄██████▄▄░░░██
░░░░░█████████░░░░██▌
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░░████████████████
███▄░░▀██████▀░░░███
█▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄███
░░▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
░░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
Ripmixer
░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀█
███░░░▄██████▄▄░░░██
░░░░░█████████░░░░██▌
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░░████████████████
███▄░░▀██████▀░░░███
█▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄███
░░▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
░░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 2976

:( My PC broke due trying to recover an old wallet

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2018, 10:45:46 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2018, 11:31:45 PM by frodocooper

You can check the model of the miner by checking the sticker on the case under the control board.

Check this sample below

If the model is different from the system overview which means that the control board is replaced with s9i board or like you said maybe the owner was accidentally flashed the miner with s9i firmware.

If you still haven't tried to flash it yet with s9j firmware you can try to flash it, but make sure to backup the firmware first. You can find the backup option on the upgrade tab from the dashboard (you can use the backup to reflash it back if ever the miner experience some bad logs or it's not hashing properly with s9j firmware) then after that flash it with s9j firmware.

You can try this firmware Antminer-S9j-all-201811071118-autofreq-user-Update2UBI-NF.tar.gz

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 6406

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
November 12, 2018, 12:10:28 AM

If there is no problem , don't create one. i am using the S9 firmware on S9i and it's been working great. as long as it's hashing and showing on the pool then you are good.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Ameador1 (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2018, 02:06:19 PM

The labeling on the miner indicates it is an S9j. The owner thought it was an S9j. When I found the System Overview listing it as an S9i - I questioned it and then so did he (the seller) - wondering if he had been scammed when he bought it. I take it that he had bought it through a reseller vs Bitmain directly. There is and was a price diff between them so just making sure what was actually bought. I also like things to be clear. If I end up selling it myself later down the road - I want to be able to tell someone for sure what I am selling them. I don't like discrepancies.

Anyway, I have re-flashed it with S9j firmware and it is hashing nicely. The System Overview page now shows that is it an S9j - so the firmware must be what is determining what is shown there - not where it is reading the hardware for an embedded model type and then showing that. If that exists - it doesn't seem that the firmware is using it to show the miner model anyway.

Thanks everyone!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: