Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:33:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any way to use S9 serial number to determine miner specs?  (Read 204 times)
Ameador1 (OP)

Activity: 124
Merit: 47

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 07:04:47 AM

Like the Bitmain Warranty checker will give warranty data based on SN - is there a tool to tell you what type and speed a miner is from the SN?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fanatic26_

Activity: 294
Merit: 129

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 05:20:29 PM

Well the serial number sticker on the top of the miner will list the machine type and speed. Other than that there is no lookup. We scan and keep a database of our own with machine types, serial numbers, and warranty expiration.
Ameador1 (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 06:34:59 PM

Yeah, I know the sticker tells you - but what about scams - could someone create the labels with an existing SN - but put it on a machine that is of lower specs. Like, I just bought an S9j-14T - but it is showing in the System Overview that it is an S9i, not j. But the labels say it is a j. Without a Bitmain SN check that shows the specs associated with the SN - you cannot tell for sure what you have.
fanatic26_

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 06:55:18 PM

Yeah, I know the sticker tells you - but what about scams - could someone create the labels with an existing SN - but put it on a machine that is of lower specs. Like, I just bought an S9j-14T - but it is showing in the System Overview that it is an S9i, not j. But the labels say it is a j. Without a Bitmain SN check that shows the specs associated with the SN - you cannot tell for sure what you have.

Ahh, I only buy new so thats not been an issue. I know there is a way to pull the specs directly from the hardware as it is hard coded into each hashing card, but im not sure how to do it. Ill ask my guy and see if I can get some info for you.
Ameador1 (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 06:56:45 PM

Thank you - much appreciated! If that's true - I would like to think that the System Overview would pull from that source and show you what the hash boards have hard coded. But that would also mean I have an S9i mislabeled as an S9j Sad

fanatic26_

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 07:02:51 PM

As far as I know, the firmware between each s9 type is interchangeable. I have flashed S9s with S9i firmware with no issues. I can even flash T9 firmware onto an S9 and it will hash.
Ameador1 (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2018, 07:08:44 PM

Thanks for that - I was trying to confirm that as well. I am not too bad with these units - I have an IT background - but I am still learning about the intricacies on how these miners work at the core level - what controls what, where the information comes from, etc... Plus, Linux is not my strong suite. I took a class on it almost 15 years ago and started on the PC side back in the early DOS days (early 1980's) - so command line is not foreign to me by any means - but the structure and the design of the whole mining software system still needs a lot of work for me. Smiley
Ameador1 (OP)

View Profile
November 13, 2018, 02:28:17 PM
Last edit: November 13, 2018, 11:29:43 PM by frodocooper

Ahh, I only buy new so thats not been an issue. I know there is a way to pull the specs directly from the hardware as it is hard coded into each hashing card, but im not sure how to do it. Ill ask my guy and see if I can get some info for you.

Hear anything back on if the model info is hard coded on the hardware and/or how to get at it?

Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: