Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:45:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SolidCoin v2.01 Released  (Read 8320 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 11:09:56 PM

The SolidCoin name is trademarked by RealSolid. All source applicable is also copyrighted by RealSolid. The copyrights and trademarks will be handed over to the SolidCoin NPO which will be created at some point in the future.

The problem is that ScamCoin is derived from Bitcoin and that code is not in the public domain.  Anyone is free to modify it and make derivative works but they must follows the license.  The license that Bitcoin source code is issued under requires the ORIGINAL copyright to be including with any derived works.  Failure to follow that licenses means RealSolid has no lawful right to copy, distribute, or modify the Bitcoin software.

No different than taking a book written by someone else changing a couple lines and then putting your own copyright stamp on it.  There is no validity to his copyright as it is based on stolen work of others.
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 11:22:13 PM

I thought I would have a look, although it's not a language I use, and I am not a professional coder.  I learnt that 30 years ago and haven't done real coding since my 20's.  I did see there are copyright signs in the headers and went to the licence.txt.  I am not sure if you can copyright to a made-up name, and I wonder where the trademark application was done?

The SolidCoin name is trademarked by RealSolid. All source applicable is also copyrighted by RealSolid. The copyrights and trademarks will be handed over to the SolidCoin NPO which will be created at some point in the future.

He should restrict himself to only modify the code and leave the licensing to someone who knows what they are doing...
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 11:25:02 PM
Last edit: November 02, 2011, 11:50:47 PM by PatrickHarnett

The questions were more practical.  I could copyright something under my name, but if I saw (c)psy what would that mean when it came to asserting rights?

Also, if this guy is in Melbourne, from memory it's a few hundred dollars to register a trademark, but the protection might be a little limited.  I might go hunt on the Aussie govt sites.

Edit: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50725.0

Well, if they are still voting for a design, and they are not registered, anyone with $120 can jump in and do the registration.
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 01:26:34 AM

Australian trade mark law is based on the Trade Marks Act 1995 (Cth), which is administered by IP Australia, an Australian government agency within the Department of Industry, Tourism and Resources.

Amongst other things, the Trade Marks Act defines trade marks (including certification marks and collective marks), what constitutes trademark infringement and defences and exceptions thereto, and (together with the Trade Marks Regulations) sets out procedures for registration and other proceedings before the Registrar of Trade Marks. The legislation does not codify the law of trade marks in Australia; as a common law jurisdiction, a trade mark owner may also (for example) seek to protect its rights through legal proceedings for passing off.

Section 17 of the Trade Marks Act defines a trade mark as "a sign used, or intended to be used, to distinguish goods or services dealt with or provided in the course of trade by a person from goods or services so dealt with or provided by any other person".

The procedure to register a trade mark in Australia is much the same as other countries. A completed application is filed with IP Australia (either by delivery to one of its regional offices or electronically) and checked ("examined") by an examiner of trade marks for compliance with formalities and substantive requirements (e.g. registrability, and lack of confusing similarity with a conflicting trade mark). If an application is accepted it will be published for opposition purposes for three months, during which time third parties may oppose registration on certain grounds. If there are no oppositions, or any oppositions are overcome, a certificate of registration will issue.

The term of registration in Australia is 10 years, which may be extended for additional periods of 10 years. Failure to use a registered trade mark for a period of three years or more may expose the registration to cancellation on the grounds of non-use.

Cut and pasted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_trade_mark_law
demkd

Activity: 242
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 01:27:43 AM

Source released and price pump up and now dropped again.
Something wrong with "economical changes".
SC Block price =  0.05 btc
LTC Block price > 0.40 btc
8x  Grin
Someone want to mine (e.g. support) SC? Grin
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 02:05:11 AM

Australian trade mark law

etc

I simply went to TM Australia and searched the four trademark databases (nothing).  I then noticed they are still designing it because they have a voting thread.  The two seem incompatible.

Still, for a few dollars someone could do the international registration (there's a Madrid Treaty) - that might stuff things up.
Anyway, I would be interested to see how someone in court or making a case will prove to their lawyers they are realsolid to assert copyright over the code (either their own or from other projects like bitcoin or oracle.  (queue image of the crucifixion scene from "Life of Brian")

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 02:11:15 AM

Australian trade mark law

etc

I simply went to TM Australia and searched the four trademark databases (nothing).  I then noticed they are still designing it because they have a voting thread.  The two seem incompatible.

Still, for a few dollars someone could do the international registration (there's a Madrid Treaty) - that might stuff things up.
Anyway, I would be interested to see how someone in court or making a case will prove to their lawyers they are realsolid to assert copyright over the code (either their own or from other projects like bitcoin or oracle.  (queue image of the crucifixion scene from "Life of Brian")

You can't assert a copyright over something you stole.  Since ScamCoin doesn't comply with either the MIT license or the Berkeley DB OpenSource license, RealSolid doesn't have permission of the authors to copy, modify, or distribute that code.  It is stolen pure and simply.  Of course when confronted about this RealSolid laughed that Oracle won't do anything about it.  While that may be true it doesn't change the fact that the basis for ScamCoin is software piracy and theft.  I am sure that is going to inspire the confidence necessary to get lots of businesses to adopt it.
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 04:13:22 AM

Ferris? Ferris? Any thoughts on why it is so wonderful now?
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462

I heart thebaron

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 08:49:20 AM

Ferris? Ferris? Any thoughts on why it is so wonderful now?

ehem..... Bueller ? Bueller ? ......nice try though Wink

bitlane
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 08:52:18 AM

Now that the source is out, can someone from the BTC community write a bad-ass GPU miner for this thing already so that we can pump/dump and collapse it once and for all ?

Solidcoin 3 ----> Ready for the collapse of Solidcoin 2.1
('cause let's face it, SC 2.0 was closed source with hidden goodies that served the interests of the creator only.....LOL)

bitlane
Internet detective

I heart thebaron

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 09:03:21 AM
Last edit: November 03, 2011, 09:31:51 AM by bitlane

Now that the source is out, can someone from the BTC community write a bad-ass GPU miner for this thing already so that we can pump/dump and collapse it once and for all ?

Solidcoin 3 ----> Ready for the collapse of Solidcoin 2.1
('cause let's face it, SC 2.0 was closed source with hidden goodies that served the interests of the creator only.....LOL)

In progress from two people I know of.

I have an inside hunch as soon as ArtForz finishes the one he is working on, all hell is going to break loose!

I will gladly give up BTC mining and GPU mine-the-shit out of SC's.... if only to devalue the millions currently owned by <insert 'The Leaders' current bitcointalk.org forum nick this week>

The sooner it happens, the sooner we can all expect to see SC3.....1 miner, 1 owner, 1 developer, 1 local network.....1 SC3 BILLIONAIRE.....LMAO

Na na, na na, na na, na na, Na na, na na, na na, na na....LEADER ! (Simpson's fans will get it....lol)

Future Solidcoin Conference.....

Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 12:51:47 PM

8x  Grin

Could you please Not Chime in with your 2c's like that, Your getting us all called trolls

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
FlipPro (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 05:27:28 PM

8x  Grin

Could you please Not Chime in with your 2c's like that, Your getting us all called trolls
You are all trolls, a bunch of pathetic ones at that.

You got all these geniuses thinking they can "pump & dump" SC like it's Bitcoin. Wait till they find out just how seemingly impossible that task has become with SC2 Smiley.
johnj

Activity: 154

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 05:35:45 PM

8x  Grin

You got all these geniuses thinking they can "pump & dump" SC like it's Bitcoin. Wait till they find out just how seemingly impossible that task has become with SC2 Smiley.

Are you suggesting it'll be harder and harder to dump SC?  I believe that's also the current consensus, too Wink

Although you think SC is the pie in the sky, you don't realize RS/SC has alienated much of the cryptocurrency base.  With SC going further and further down on BTC-e, it's going to be that much harder to arouse interest again.  No adoption = worthless coin, no matter how much brown you have on your nose.  A (partial?) source release weeks after the chain has gone live does nothing to alleviate the concerns many people have when it comes to SC, and that's beside the intentional centralized design.

Unless you're suggesting there are other folk out there who are tired of carrying around paper fiat, but still want to be screwed over by a central authority.

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
FlipPro (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 05:40:55 PM

8x  Grin

Are you suggesting it'll be harder and harder to dump SC?  I believe that's also the current consensus, too Wink

Although you think SC is the pie in the sky, you don't realize RS/SC has alienated much of the cryptocurrency base.  With SC going further and further down on BTC-e, it's going to be that much harder to arouse interest again.  No adoption = worthless coin, no matter how much brown you have on your nose.  A (partial?) source release weeks after the chain has gone live does nothing to alleviate the concerns many people have when it comes to SC, and that's beside the intentional centralized design.

Unless you're suggesting there are other folk out there who are tired of carrying around paper fiat, but still want to be screwed over by a central authority.

I want to see people try to "Pump & Dump" the network Smiley.
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 05:45:44 PM

8x  Grin

If SC price keeps dropping and hashrate keeps dropping, it would be easy for RealSolid to resuscitate SC though. All he has to do is change the subsidy to 100 SC, which will make it profitable for miners to mine SC again. It's nice to have that kind of power. Smiley

Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 05:48:11 PM

Exactly. All CoinHunter would have to do is refuse the blocks of GPU miners, or lower the block reward until his chosen people catch up. And if they DON'T have GPU miners, there is no way anyone can out-manipulate the guy who dictates the money supply. Worst-case scenario, he could fork the chain and release a new client with an updated block checkpoint.

It's like trying to crash World of Warcraft gold. The only way would be if Blizzard messed up the rules themselves. We'll have to wait and see if CoinHunter has the l33t "chairman of the Solid Fed" econ skillz to out-perform the Bitcoin free market.

This is actually turning into an interesting experiment.
johnj

Activity: 154

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 06:02:34 PM

If SC price keeps dropping and hashrate keeps dropping, it would be easy for RealSolid to resuscitate SC though. All he has to do is change the subsidy to 100 SC, which will make it profitable for miners to mine SC again. It's nice to have that kind of power. Smiley

You're absolutely right.  However that'd even further shake confidence anyone might have in SC.  When people look back on the history of BTC, they can see it's been open and transparant 100% of the time, with no 'tax' sent to one person.  And even then it's hard to shake the Ponzi accusations.

With Solidcoin, it's very very easy to pin Ponzi accusations. "Early adopters" got 30.5sc/blk, while new folk only get 14% of that.  Also, the more you buy, the richer the 'tax collecter' becomes.

If anything, I think the 32->5 has lowered the price, so I'm not sure what other tricks RS has up his sleeve to manipulate the system.  Unfortunately we only have the source 'peasant miners' use.

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
HolodeckJizzmopper

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 07:45:51 PM

This would require more than the dozen or so true-believers RS/CH has drinking his kool-aid.

SC2 has been dropping steadily vs LTC since it came onto the scene. The writing is on the wall.
Bobnova

Activity: 210

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 07:54:20 PM

8x  Grin

That term, I do not think it means what you think it means.
Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pump_and_dump

In short, you first buy cheap (like, now), then "pump" by making lots of positive statements about the stock (coin, whatever), if you do it right the price rises and you then "dump" by selling all your stock (coins) at the new improved higher price.

BTC:  1AURXf66t7pw65NwRiKukwPq1hLSiYLqbP
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: