Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:37:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Customer is Always Right  (Read 1957 times)
ineededausername (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 03:29:05 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50670.0

In that thread, a noob asked a rather stupid, trivial question.  kokjo immediately responded with this:

Hello all I am new to Bit Coins, needing some urgent help on how to use them!?
FUCK YOU! (ask smart questions please: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html)

I have a registered Mt.Gox account, added funds, bought some Bit Coins but now what?
good for you! but i don't know, that answer to your question!

I am trying to transfer my Bit Coins funds from Mt.Gox into my shopping account for a "Store (SR)" how do i do that?
SR = silkroad. don't buy drugs, not with bitcoins or any kind money.

Super_trooper
Kokjo

Awesome! "Fuck you!" is sure to bring more people to Bitcoin!
Was the question easily answerable by FAQs? Yes, of course.  Did a thread need to be posted about it? No. 

However, would a good customer service rep handle that question that way!?  Is this approach likely to help bring "normal people" (aka grandmas) to the Bitcoin community?  Even though the question is stupid, we can't brush off every stupid question like that.  It's rude and the "customer" will leave.   

I suspect our internet-forum approach to "customer service" isn't helping Bitcoin growth at all.  Although this forum is not official and is also not a customer service page, it's really the only place some people know about where they can ask questions.  Let's all be more polite and welcoming.

(BFL)^2 < 0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2011, 03:34:57 PM

Meh, the customer is NOT always right, but that said, we need to be welcoming to newcomers. Bitcoin *can* be confusing when you first encounter it.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 03:41:29 PM

In that thread, a noob asked a rather stupid, trivial question.  kokjo immediately responded with this:

FUCK YOU! (ask smart questions please: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html)

I have a registered Mt.Gox account, added funds, bought some Bit Coins but now what?

I am trying to transfer my Bit Coins funds from Mt.Gox into my shopping account for a "Store (SR)" how do i do that?

Super_trooper
Kokjo

Was the question easily answerable by FAQs? Yes, of course.  Did a thread need to be posted about it? No. 

However, would a good customer service rep handle that question that way!?  Is this approach likely to help bring "normal people" (aka grandmas) to the Bitcoin community?  Even though the question is stupid, we can't brush off every stupid question like that.  It's rude and the "customer" will leave.   

I suspect our internet-forum approach to "customer service" isn't helping Bitcoin growth at all.  Although this forum is not official and is also not a customer service page, it's really the only place some people know about where they can ask questions.  Let's all be more polite and welcoming.

It's the internet - people are free to say whatever they want to. It was a mediocre response to the question, but the questioner clearly knew what to expect from internet people (he wasn't offended).
ineededausername (OP)

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 04:09:46 PM

Yes, you're free to say it.  Doesn't mean we should be doing so.
This thread is not an attempt to get the mods to ban/kick people who post such replies. 
Not all people who we want using Bitcoin are active forum members!  If you want people adopting the technology, you have to be friendlier.

(BFL)^2 < 0
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 05:14:49 PM

Newbies should read faq and guides before opening threads...

ineededausername (OP)

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 03:36:25 AM

They should.  That doesn't mean they will.  If they don't, do we simply exclude them from Bitcoin?
Interest in BTC is dropping in the outside world... and what are we doing about it?!

(BFL)^2 < 0
memvola

Activity: 938

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 03:58:15 AM

Well, it's the Newbie section for a reason. Trolls open senseless threads all the time and people seem to respond to them with more rigor. A link to a proper source and maybe an additional forum guideline would be harsh enough.
greyhawk

Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 09:15:47 AM

Exactly this catering for and wiping the ass of every bumbling fool that is too lazy and/or ignorant to use google/wikipedia or look for FAQs/Stickies is what made the Internet such a horrible mess of stupidity in the first place.

Here's something to consider: Excessive nursing of dumb people makes dumb people even dumber in the long run. This is like Education 101.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 09:19:21 PM

They should.  That doesn't mean they will.  If they don't, do we simply exclude them from Bitcoin?
Interest in BTC is dropping in the outside world... and what are we doing about it?!
Are you seriously implying bitcoin will succeed or fail basing on what we do? If it's a good idea then people will use it even if everyone here start screaming "do not use it"

And greyhawk is TOTALLY RIGHT

memvola

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 10:50:59 PM

Are you seriously implying bitcoin will succeed or fail basing on what we do? If it's a good idea then people will use it even if everyone here start screaming "do not use it"

If it's a good idea, welcoming communities will form around it too, that's part of the process. And members of these communities will warn each other when they are offensive to newcomers, etc. You are actually thinking in reverse, people will use it even if you scream "do not use it", but not everyone will do it, since it contributes absolutely nothing.

It's analogous to the usability topic. If it's a good idea, people will build user friendly tools around it. I would fail to comprehend how not contributing to building such tools (because it's a good idea anyway?) would help. Same with this.

Bottom line is, you don't need to respond if you think it's a dumb question.

Excessive nursing of dumb people makes dumb people even dumber in the long run. This is like Education 101.

Although I think you are right on that general idea, I'm not sure it maps well to this topic. What does Education 101 tell you about this kind of reaction? The asker could have been offended. Geek communities quickly form this kind of cultural barrier around themselves, and it's one of the problems. I know people who are very competent at their own thing and yet are unable to read any kind of documentation about an external subject prior to taking action on it. It's a personality trait. Yes, I can't relate to it either, but that is the reality.

Positive encouragement to take the proper action doesn't have to involve excessive nursing. Gabi's "Newbies should read faq and guides before opening threads" is IMO one of the good responses to such people and it's pretty much neutral. There are people who would be offended by even this, but we aren't payed for PR anyway, so I think it's a good line to draw. Again, no one is required to respond either.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 11:48:16 PM

Super_trooper
Kokjo

FWIW, I clicked report on it like, ten minutes after he posted it.

Don't troll the newbie forum...unless you know it's Atlas.
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 12:29:48 AM

Things like that make me wonder if we should all be allowed to post there still :p

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: