Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:22:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Generating a Legacy Wallet  (Read 177 times)
russellt (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 4

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 08:42:30 PM
Merited by Foxpup (2), LoyceV (2)

Bitcoin Client Software and Version Number: unknown

Operating System:Asume Windows 7

System Hardware Specs: Unknown -

Description of Problem:
I bought around $100AUD of bitcoin around mid to late 2010. Unfortunately it went to the back of my mind as there were multiple weddings, new jobs, contracts, training, and other events that kept demanding all my free time.  Around July I purchased a new computer and started copying files across from the old one and noticed I had files I had created going back to 2008. Based on this I have started a forensic search using a mac data recovery tool (I moved to apple around 2010 after the purchase) . Unfortunately the wallet.dat file did not appear. However the Helpdesk people at forensic search company indicate that I can significantly increase the chance of finding the file if they have an example to work with. Ie they will train the software to look for that particular MIME type.
I have been trying to find a way of generating an empty legacy wallet.dat file for them to work with. Can anyone help me with that.

PS I also discovered around 10 old hard disks that each got swapped between multiple devices over the years. So thiere is  a remote chance that if I can provide the right MIME definition to the forensic search company. To be honest I believe the chances are very low; but worth pursuing - much better than buying lottery tickets. If you believe there is a better way of searching I am open to that as well.

Any Related Addresses:
Any Related Transaction IDs:
Screenshot of the problem:
Log Files from the Bitcoin Client:

Cheers Undecided

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2018, 04:07:57 AM
Merited by Foxpup (3), bob123 (2)

The wallet.dat file is a Berkeley DB file. It is the standard database file that the Berkeley DB library creates. In 2010, the Bitcoin software used BDB 4.7. So you should tell the forensics company that they should look for BDB 4.7 database files.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: