Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:41:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help and/or advise: bricked my S9 with flashing LPM fw  (Read 253 times)
dutchlincoln (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 30

View Profile
November 15, 2018, 11:58:53 AM

Hello,

I have some S9's, and i tried the LPM firmware.
Lateron i was informed that i needed to flash the 650M  firmware first, and after this, the LPM firmware.
I did this to severalmachines, and it works. Some better than other.

Yesterday i was flashing one of the last machines i still had to upgrade, and flash to 650 went good, but the flash to LPM failed. Not that it said it failed, but i cant connect to it anymore...
I tried to reset the machine, but it doesnt help.
I just cant see it in my network using an ip scanner. No connection. Cant ping it (i have a fairly large network, and advanced ipscanner "sees" an active device wich i cant ping. I assume this is the one, but im not sure.

Now, i want to re-flash it, using a SD card, but i cant find the tools, software, and instructions for it.

Is there anyone that can help me with this, or maybe give some tips or hints?

Bitmain has a SD card flash tool for almost every miner they made, exept the S9.... Huh

Highly appreciated, thank you.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 2974

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2018, 05:57:47 PM
Last edit: November 16, 2018, 11:02:07 PM by BitMaxz
Merited by Ameador1 (1)

Never tried this before with SDcard recovery on S9 but I have some video that I think you can watch how to do an SDcard flashing never find a guide from google but I found this from an old post here on the forum.

Check my post below.

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT0GBoh_xTI
- https://youtu.be/dzArOe8KuHI

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Ameador1

Activity: 124
Merit: 47

View Profile
November 16, 2018, 07:22:54 PM
Last edit: November 16, 2018, 09:42:49 PM by frodocooper

The Chinese video is difficult to see - low quality video - but looks like he is using a T9 SD image file. The Bitmain site does not have that. They have a folder for T9+ SD tools in their "SD Card with Image Flash Firmware Tools" - but don't know if that will work for S9 or not. It appears in both videos that they boot up from the SD card once they burn the proper image to the SD card, put it in the controller, and change the jumper position to boot from the SD card. Once there, they just use the GUI interface to flash a firmware of choice much like normal.

I noticed in the second video though - that he has a link in the upper part of the YouTube video page (text below the video) where there is a link to download the S9-T9 SD card image file along with the win32diskimager application - here's the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nzt6wast3savqey/Antminer%20S9-T9.rar?dl=0. I think there are newer versions of win32diskmanager that you could download and use - but he does have an S9_T9_sdcard.img file available in the download. That was the piece I was missing in looking for how to do this myself. So download that file, burn it to an SD card with win32diskimager, put it in the controller, move the jumper, connect a network cable, power up the controller, connect to the miner's IP, use the usual procedure to flash the firmware you want on the controller, once fully done, power down, put the jumper back, remove the SD card, power the card back up and test to see if the new firmware is installed. If so, put it back in the miner, reconnect everything and power up. If not, try the process over again - watching details.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 2974

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2018, 11:13:57 PM
Last edit: November 16, 2018, 11:25:53 PM by BitMaxz

That's also my problem before I'm looking for s9_t9_SDcard.img but until now no one gives me the right download link.
It seems that the sdcard flashing only works on other ASICminer like t9+.

Anyway, Have you heard about unbricking t9 (without plus)? If not, maybe this article will help you to unbrick your s9 miner.

Read the full story from here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2386296.0

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Ameador1

Activity: 124
Merit: 47

View Profile
November 17, 2018, 02:03:37 AM

That's also my problem before I'm looking for s9_t9_SDcard.img but until now no one gives me the right download link.
It seems that the sdcard flashing only works on other ASICminer like t9+.

Anyway, Have you heard about unbricking t9 (without plus)? If not, maybe this article will help you to unbrick your s9 miner.

Read the full story from here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2386296.0

Sorry BitMaxz - I don't have any experience with T9 or T9+ models - I am pretty new to mining - right at 1 year now - I have only dealt with S9, S9i, S9j, L3+, & L3++. Thank you for your links though. I had found the Chinese video, but not the second one you gave - that's where the download link to the S9-T9 image file came to be. I have not tried the process as I do not have a bricked S9 right now. I was considering it for those 3 S9s I just sent back to the seller - but decided to just send them back instead of messing with them further.

But the download I listed in my last post in this thread says it's an image for S9 and T9 - do you not trust it since it is not from Bitmain's site? Or will this not work for you?
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 6405

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
November 18, 2018, 01:46:31 AM
Last edit: November 18, 2018, 10:46:21 AM by frodocooper

I do not think you need to use the SDcard method. as long as power didn't cut during the flush.

you just need to perform a different reset method. which is using the IP report.

1- Turn the miner on

2- Hold the IP reported for 5 secs

3- Power the miner off (while keeping the IP-report button pressed)

4- Power on ( while still keeping the ip-report pressed)

5- allow up to 30 mins and then look on your router dhcp leases. and it should show there.

some times you need to off and on again after step 5.

let's know how it goes.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀