Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:51:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Solar energy is the future. I want to save my planet!! What about you?  (Read 798 times)
MULTIK888 (OP)

Activity: 123
Merit: 8

View Profile
November 15, 2018, 01:46:00 PM

Friends want to share with you a very interesting and at the time frightening information! Please read to the end, and even better let me read it to all my friends.

People live on earth according to the calculations of only 200 thousand years and all until the 19th century was moving on until humanity found oil and gas. Over the next two centuries, and to be precise over the past 50 years, we have so destroyed the balance of nature that even scary to imagine it.
Over the past 100 years, the population of the planet has increased more than 3 times. Today, 15% of the population consumes 85% of the earth's natural resources.
Agriculture today produces twice as much food than is necessary to feed the entire population of the planet, but the world is still hungry whiter than 2 billion people.
Trees-the main source of oxygen on the earth give way to cattle farms and farms, and on the cut down and dried-up sites waste grounds are formed. Every year more than 13 million hectares of forest disappear from the face of the earth. 60% of grain goes to feed livestock and poultry, which are subsequently slaughtered and go to the shelves in the form of meat, which is not eaten in half of the cases.
Cotton production exceeds the demand of the entire population of the planet and exists through subsidies in developed countries and slave labor with the rest of the world. Most of Africa and Asia work in slave labour to feed themselves and their children.
To grow flowers requires a huge amount of energy, pesticides and fertilizers.  80% of the grown flowers are in the garbage! For what?
The modern trade world requires drainage of rivers, deforestation and environmental pollution. More than 90% of scientific discoveries serve war and trade. Physically, the best minds on the planet are busy destroying nature and it's scary!
The modern world of consumption has become a cancer of the planet and according to experts by 2030, due to global warming, the polar cap of Antarctica may completely disappear. It has declined by 40% in the last 40 years alone.
Every year, lake Baikal (the largest and cleanest lake of fresh water) discharges more than 35 million cubic meters of wastewater per year. At present, the air on the peaks of the Himalayan range is as polluted as in our cities. The state of our planet can be told endlessly, but no one thinks about it.
What can we do to preserve the beauty of our home and preserve our planet???
You think it's too late, but I'm sure it isn't!! Together, we can rebuild our home and start over. Today there are already examples of progress for the better, for example:
- The state took under its protection 2% of land worldwide is not much, but it's good.
- the number of reserves has increased;
- New Yorkers have realized the scale of nature and now forests and trees supply them with drinking water.
- In South Korea, almost all forests were destroyed during the war, but today there is an active restoration and forests occupy 60% of the country's territory.
- Costa Rica has made a choice in favor of resources and almost completely abandoned the army spending the money on the restoration of nature.
- Gabon - leading production forests, but the forests are not depleted because cut down only 1 tree with 1 hectare.
In Freiburg-built a neighborhood that is completely innovative and does not harm nature. Life there is carried out with the help of solar panels.
- Many States consider the development of renewable energy sources as a priority.
- In Denmark, they built a power plant running on coal and emitting carbon dioxide into the soil, and on the coast in Denmark there are wind farms producing 20% of the country's electricity!!!  Iceland has a power plant that converts the internal heat of the earth into electrical energy.

- In the deserts began to convert solar energy into electricity and it's great, because for 1 hour the sun gives energy to the Earth in such an amount as we consume for the whole year!!!

All we have to do is stop drilling the earth and learn how to process solar energy, let's rebuild our planet together. What ways do you see to restore our planet?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
November 15, 2018, 03:41:29 PM
Merited by Welsh (3)

Please read to the end, and even better let me read it to all my friends.

What?

Now I am definitely for renewable energy and solar power, but nothing is perfect.
Oil should be cut out as soon as possible, but this will obviously not happen even though majority of people would surely agree with us.
Money is stronger then democracy, it is those that have money that have biggest votes.

I haven't really read your entire post, I am too lazy for that, but from what I read I see you have a problem with waste of food and etc.
I just want to point out that this is easy to complain about when you imagine the World as one small connected place, but the truth is, World is so big that it is easier to make new food then to transport it, sometimes. And easier means less wasteful, most of the time.

Solar energy isn't perfect, it is better, but it still takes away light from trees, plants and the rest of the ecosystem.
Also we aren't really destroying the planet, this planet went through a lot worse on it's own and all of this carbon we are releasing through burning oil came from the atmosphere in the first place, trapped by plant life that decayed over millions of years into coal and oil.
We are simply changing the planet with a bigger pace then it changed on it's own, which is not that bad for the planet, as it is bad for the creatures on top of the food chain (humans,...). Plants will be just fine when be burn all the oil, we wouldn't, some of our cities would be underwater for start.

So the point here is not that we are hurting the planet as much as we are hurting ourselves with greed.
I don't think anybody will make a rebellion over this, since some small portion of this short term benefit sprinkles over to us.
If we see it though, in another perspective, as big greedy players profiting more over something we all pay for equally, then that is another thing entirely.

You see, we should demand our share, profit from oil companies should be shared equally and directly to every human being on this planet, since all of us are paying for it in the end equally, by living in a less human-hospitable World afterwards.

Now when we all get our share, perhaps then we all equally agree that the profit from it isn't worth it, but the first action would be to take away all the power from oil companies and shut it down for the private sector if the share in the company isn't shared equally along every human in the World.
Individuals simply can't profit for something that we will all suffer in the end equally.
bluefirecorp_

Activity: 574
Merit: 152

View Profile
November 15, 2018, 10:58:26 PM

People live on earth according to the calculations of only 200 thousand years and all until the 19th century was moving on until humanity found oil and gas. Over the next two centuries, and to be precise over the past 50 years, we have so destroyed the balance of nature that even scary to imagine it.
Actually, recently, humans (homo) are around 2.5 million years old, so fuck yeah!

Over the past 100 years, the population of the planet has increased more than 3 times. Today, 15% of the population consumes 85% of the earth's natural resources.

Woo! America, fuck yeah, bypassing the industrial era in only 100 years! Oh wait, we're "barely" post-industrial era. But still; stone -> iron era took fucking forever

Agriculture today produces twice as much food than is necessary to feed the entire population of the planet, but the world is still hungry whiter than 2 billion people.

Sounds like a distribution problem. To be fair, certain countries enslave their populations, so it's not like the rest of the world can just distribute food to them.

Trees-the main source of oxygen on the earth give way to cattle farms and farms, and on the cut down and dried-up sites waste grounds are formed.

Actually, most oxygen is created by ocean lifeforms. These lifeforms are in danger due to the increase in acidity in the ocean waters.

Every year more than 13 million hectares of forest disappear from the face of the earth. 60% of grain goes to feed livestock and poultry, which are subsequently slaughtered and go to the shelves in the form of meat, which is not eaten in half of the cases.

Cow farts (and other animal farts) contribute to the problem too! Not as much as other industry, but they do contribute.

Cotton production exceeds the demand of the entire population of the planet and exists through subsidies in developed countries and slave labor with the rest of the world. Most of Africa and Asia work in slave labour to feed themselves and their children.
Yeah, slavery is a problem regardless of capitalism or not.

To grow flowers requires a huge amount of energy, pesticides and fertilizers.  80% of the grown flowers are in the garbage! For what?
Source?

The modern trade world requires drainage of rivers, deforestation and environmental pollution.
Human's had canals for many years. If we needed to, we could pump or push water properly. Honestly, we do need to take a look at our garbage processing systems.

More than 90% of scientific discoveries serve war and trade. Physically, the best minds on the planet are busy destroying nature and it's scary!
That's just false information right there. Rofl.

The modern world of consumption has become a cancer of the planet and according to experts by 2030, due to global warming, the polar cap of Antarctica may completely disappear. It has declined by 40% in the last 40 years alone.

We can totally reverse the effects of this positive feedback loop by doing nothing. /s

Actually, with radical change, we can. But it seems there's too many deniers out there for radical change.

All we have to do is stop drilling the earth and learn how to process solar energy, let's rebuild our planet together. What ways do you see to restore our planet?

So, there's a lot of things we can be doing. Solar energy is a great solution, along with wing, hydro and even nuclear. Energy sources that don't emit climate change gases make sense going forward. Hell, they make sense now (economically), but there's so much push back from society regarding it.

Oil corporations still receive subsidizes for no reason. It's crazy to think that these corporations should be allowed to continue to destroy the world that we know in the name of money.

Individuals simply can't profit for something that we will all suffer in the end equally.

That's how business works; privatize the gains, socialize the losses.
TBboys

Activity: 126
Merit: 15

Fast, Smart, Trustworthy

View Profile
November 16, 2018, 04:34:57 AM

If humans still want to continue to develop, it is inevitable to consume energy. Although I also think that human damage to resources is already very serious, I don’t want to go back to the primitive society and live in the cave.
Solar energy is indeed a clean energy source, but it is not yet available for large-scale applications. In most parts of the world, people cannot use solar energy efficiently.
If go to other planets colony will be a better choice?
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3050

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2018, 06:27:24 AM

Solar energy will not save the planet at this point.

Consider a person drowning in a pool.  You redirect the water flow to another more efficient pool.

Will that save his life?  

paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1575

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
November 16, 2018, 11:19:21 AM

Consider a person drowning in a pool.  You redirect the water flow to another more efficient pool.

Will that save his life?  

I fail to see the analogy. You mean that is already too late?
bluefirecorp_

View Profile
November 16, 2018, 02:21:05 PM

If humans still want to continue to develop, it is inevitable to consume energy. Although I also think that human damage to resources is already very serious, I don’t want to go back to the primitive society and live in the cave.
Solar energy is indeed a clean energy source, but it is not yet available for large-scale applications. In most parts of the world, people cannot use solar energy efficiently.
If go to other planets colony will be a better choice?

Living in a cave won't help; we've already entered the positive feedback loop! wooo!

There's plenty of large scale solar installations around the world.

Consider a person drowning in a pool.  You redirect the water flow to another more efficient pool.

Will that save his life? 

If you drain the entire pool before they start drowning, they'll probably be fine.

aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
November 17, 2018, 09:13:41 PM

It's not about fixing what has already been destroyed and what will be destroyed regardless at this point, but about minimizing the losses.

We should do whatever is in our best ability to slow down global warming and limit it's impact on the ecosystem.
jvanname

Activity: 701
Merit: 51

View Profile
November 18, 2018, 02:25:29 PM

The best way to save the planet is to sell all of your bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies since the cryptocurrency community is completely irresponsible and environmentally destructive.
Michael_Cox

Activity: 67
Merit: 2

View Profile
November 20, 2018, 04:53:34 PM

It's not about fixing what has already been destroyed and what will be destroyed regardless at this point, but about minimizing the losses.

We should do whatever is in our best ability to slow down global warming and limit it's impact on the ecosystem.

Why minimize the effects when we can prevent it? Yes at this point in our lives it will be very hard for people to adjust to what we were used to but unless we change our habits that hurt the environment, adjust our lifestyle then we might as well just pack our emergency bags and prepare for the worst.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
November 20, 2018, 09:50:01 PM
Merited by Welsh (2)

Solar panels aren't great at the moment. I like the concept, but they are too inefficient to be worth the time and cost. I build my own solar panels, but its more for convenience of not having to tie into the grid, rather than any sort of cost savings. Given ideal situations, the intensity from the sun is around 800-1000 watts/m^2 at the surface of the earth. At 20% efficiency, you are getting under 200 watts of power for every square meter of solar panels, and thats also only during the day, and if you have the panels tracking the sun. I wouldn't say 200 watts is anything to sneeze at, but a square meter is also a lot of space. If they were more efficient, I'd be more likely to advocate their use, but they are really just a toy at the moment. I would say hydroelectric is probably the most useful, however that relies on having a river. Nuclear is my favorite form of power, but the initial investment required is high. Windmills are neat as well. I don't know very much about them, but I can't imagine they are cheap either.

I'm surprised that geothermal and tidal power haven't caught on as much as I thought they would. Geothermal is expensive for sure, but its really reliable and doesn't require much maintenance. Tidal I guess might be hard to service? But tides ripping have a tremendous amount of power. Lets get some space tethers going!

I'm not anti solar panel, I'm pro, lets do more solar panel research and advancement before bothering to install them, so we don't need to "upgrade" them as frequently as people upgrade their phones.
bluefirecorp_

View Profile
November 22, 2018, 05:48:19 AM

I'm not anti solar panel, I'm pro, lets do more solar panel research and advancement before bothering to install them, so we don't need to "upgrade" them as frequently as people upgrade their phones.

Solar panels are the greatest they ever have been, not "just as the moment". It's not an instantaneous improvement, but it's still improvement each year. They will only get better with time, but they require the investment to make worthy. Maybe once these ones break, we'll have 50% efficient panels and replace them with 500 watt models / sq meter instead of 200 watt, like 30 years from now.

I guess you could argue with the trade war, it would be a bad time to buy, but I see constant deals on them less than $0.40 / watt (monocrystalline) and think "jesus, that's only like a couple years to offset my electricity bill", then I realize most of the cost is labor and converters (which is kinda dumb, because I run mostly DC heavy items... so... maybe I should just eliminate the step to AC back to DC). However; I digress.

There's a certain advantage to solar over coal. Once you set them, you can forget them. Coal you need someone loading up the hopper and mining... ya know, the coal.

The idea that solar panels are a toy is kinda silly. They're quite powerful and large installations are becoming more cost effective than other means of energy generation.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2018, 03:00:16 PM
Merited by suchmoon (4)

Solar panels are the greatest they ever have been, not "just as the moment". It's not an instantaneous improvement, but it's still improvement each year. They will only get better with time, but they require the investment to make worthy. Maybe once these ones break, we'll have 50% efficient panels and replace them with 500 watt models / sq meter instead of 200 watt, like 30 years from now.

I guess you could argue with the trade war, it would be a bad time to buy, but I see constant deals on them less than $0.40 / watt (monocrystalline) and think "jesus, that's only like a couple years to offset my electricity bill", then I realize most of the cost is labor and converters (which is kinda dumb, because I run mostly DC heavy items... so... maybe I should just eliminate the step to AC back to DC). However; I digress.

There's a certain advantage to solar over coal. Once you set them, you can forget them. Coal you need someone loading up the hopper and mining... ya know, the coal.

The idea that solar panels are a toy is kinda silly. They're quite powerful and large installations are becoming more cost effective than other means of energy generation.

The last time I had planned on purchasing solar panels, commercially available, they were 17-20% efficient. Now, maybe 6 years later, they are more or less the same, though the price has decreased. $0.40/watt is absolutely a good price, there are a lot of additional costs that go along with solar setups, but I won't disagree, that under $1/watt is pretty nice. I'm not sure if you've looked into getting them yourself, I was considering purchasing solar panels, and was quoted around $70,000 for 5 KW from two or three companies after inverters, charge controllers, and installation. I have quite literally built a (small) nuclear reactors for less than that. Of course I now build solar panels myself for a fraction of that cost, but mostly for low power applications as I don't have a square meter of space to place solar panels.

Passive power is nice, but I do not think professionally installed solar panels are even slightly worth it at the moment. The projected, "These will pay themselves off in 20 years!" mentality doesn't factor in depreciation, degradation of their efficiency,  the chance that a limb is going to fall and break them, and the amount of pissed off you'll be in 3 years when the same system costs half what it does now. Building your own isn't the most cost efficient either, but sometimes its nice for convenience sake. Though its also illegal to tie them into the grid, so I can only use mine for pranks and off site small machinery. 200 Watts, even 1 KW is a toy in my opinion. Consider what miners are using for electricity. If a $2,000 mining rig draws 4 KW of power, they'd need $20,000 worth of solar panels to offset it anyway.

Again, my point isn't to stop solar research or to call it pointless, in my opinion its just pointless at the moment. Many clean energies are produced for under 1 cent per kilowatt hour. Solar just can't compete with that for the time being. When we see $1/Watt installed, at 50% efficiency, I'll reevaluate.

Article published November 15th, 2018:

https://www.solarpowerauthority.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-install-solar-on-an-average-us-house/
bluefirecorp_

View Profile
November 26, 2018, 04:16:44 PM

Your date's wrong on the published date of that article. Originally published in 2016 at the latest, modified 2018.

The comments are from 2016.

When a random blog says these numbers should be $3-4 per watt, and I'm seeing actual wholesalers selling for $0.20-$0.50; someone's gotta be lying.
acarli

Activity: 267
Merit: 77

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2018, 10:05:01 PM

I've done the feasibility study of using solar panels here in Florida. It does not look very attractive. My calculations showed that where we live, there is no real cost savings. Also, when you have money tied up in the solar panel assembly. If you do it, it's because of ideological reasons, not economic. I do like the solar shingles that Musk is working on. I think that will be disruptive. Hopefully, all new homeowners will install them.

While looking for "real" info on the costs of solar panels I found that most of the results on solar power are biased towards solar energy use. Look up "solar energy myths" in google. All of the results are from solar energy special interests. There are quite a few "myth busters" in favor of solar. One common arguement is the fact that solar panels are designed to be used for 30 years. The return on investments is super long. I highly doubt it. There are so many things that could go wrong.

https://southerncurrentllc.com/top-solar-energy-myths-debunked/

Electric vehicles IMO are the exception. There are substantial savings there.
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2018, 12:50:36 AM

When a random blog says these numbers should be $3-4 per watt, and I'm seeing actual wholesalers selling for $0.20-$0.50; someone's gotta be lying.

I bet there is fine print somewhere saying "after tax credits".
hiphoptrail

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 27, 2018, 02:21:54 PM

i agree but pow is causing more damage and will lead the world in energy consumption in a couple years. btc better work on a better way and move away from pow
MULTIK888 (OP)

Activity: 123
Merit: 8

View Profile
November 27, 2018, 07:41:44 PM

Solar energy is one of the few topics covered in my post, but it is basic.
Additionally, I would like to convey to people that the world in which we live is collapsing and the reason for that - man! Let us together be at least a little smarter and promote our ideas for a better world.
I know everyone has them but not everyone is ready to make their dreams come true. I am for everyone to have a chance and opportunity to do useful for the future and for our home!
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

View Profile
November 27, 2018, 08:52:54 PM

@Bluefire, Would you mind sharing your source? I can't find them on the MLSolar site. For $0.20-$0.30 / watt I'd absolutely buy some now. I'm certain that there would be additional charges or unfavorable terms involved, but I'd like to see what those are. $0.20-$0.30/watt is cheaper than I can make them myself, and I'd hope they wouldn't be as shoddy as mine.

Solar energy is one of the few topics covered in my post, but it is basic.
Additionally, I would like to convey to people that the world in which we live is collapsing and the reason for that - man! Let us together be at least a little smarter and promote our ideas for a better world.
I know everyone has them but not everyone is ready to make their dreams come true. I am for everyone to have a chance and opportunity to do useful for the future and for our home!

Where we live isn't collapsing, its just becoming unfavorable for humans, and regrettably other species. The earth will be fine if water levels rise, or if it gets hotter/colder. It'll just suck for us. Everything is reversible, its just a matter of effort. Maybe it'd take X dollars and Y years to completely reverse the damage we've done so far. If we decide to start acting 50 years from now, it could take a million times more effort, but it'd still be achievable. From an efficiency standpoint it'd make the most sense to begin now, but we don't really operate on what makes the most sense.
hiphoptrail

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 28, 2018, 12:00:09 AM

The best way to save the planet is to sell all of your bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies since the cryptocurrency community is completely irresponsible and environmentally destructive.

i wouldnt say all but i do agree most. just look at the core of btc creation...pow
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: