Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:10:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stolen Bitcoin code  (Read 2363 times)
Syke (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 06:56:37 PM

Bitcoin source code was released with a license clause "The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.". Even though SolidCoin uses a substantial portion of the Bitcoin software, "RealSolid" has replaced all the copyright notices with his own. Shouldn't the original Bitcoin copyright notices be kept intact?

Buy & Hold

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bobnova

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 06:58:37 PM

Yup, sure should have.

BTC:  1AURXf66t7pw65NwRiKukwPq1hLSiYLqbP
Spacy

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 07:03:42 PM

Thx for your contribution, that's the way how open source should work Smiley People contribute ideas or issues, so that the software can be made better Smiley

Btw. public software can't be stolen, you should use the correct terms...
Syke (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 07:16:04 PM

Thx for your contribution, that's the way how open source should work Smiley People contribute ideas or issues, so that the software can be made better Smiley

Bitcoin isn't public software. It is "Copyright (c) 2009-2011 Bitcoin Developers". While the technical term is "copyright infringement", "theft" works just as well.

Buy & Hold
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 02, 2011, 08:24:29 PM
Last edit: November 02, 2011, 08:35:23 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Open Source is not public domain.  YOU should use correct terms.

The license under which RealSolid obtains Bitcoin source code requires him to retain the copyright notice.  People can contribute ideas, make derivitive versions (like ScamCoin) but they can't violate the license under which it was released.  It is theft, theft of intelectual property. 

While he probably will never be charged or sued it does give a glimpse into the kind of persons who users of ScamCoin are being asked to trust with any coins they mine or purchase.
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 12:37:38 AM

While he probably will never be charged or sued it does give a glimpse into the kind of persons who users of ScamCoin are being asked to trust with any coins they mine or purchase.
Another glimpse added to the burning lensflare…

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2011, 12:58:59 AM

Yeah, any of the main bitcoin developers could file a DCMA complaint to Realsolids hosting provider pretty easily.
steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 01:20:38 AM

He is supposedly going to release code open source.  Dump your BTC.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 01:25:58 AM

He is supposedly going to release code open source.  Dump your BTC.
He has released the code, but not open source and it doesn't seem he has the intention to.
steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 01:31:29 AM

If the code is released non open source, I think his license might be invalid and you can use the source freely.  I am not a lawyer though.  If you use a gpl project, your project must be gpl too.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 01:32:59 AM

If the code is released non open source, I think his license might be invalid and you can use the source freely.  I am not a lawyer though.  If you use a gpl project, your project must be gpl too.
Bitcoin is MIT.
Snapman

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

BTCRadio Owner

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2011, 01:33:42 AM

It works the same way as website templates with branding, just because you remove their branding doesn't automatically make it yours...

This is a clear cut case of code theft, plain and simple.

BTCRadio: 17cafKShokyQCbaNuzaDo5HLoSnffMNPAs
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 01:46:34 AM

Technically he doesn't need to release the source or required it to be open source.  The Bitcoin license is MIT which allows closed source projects.

The one thing he HAS to do is retain the original notice and copyright of the original creators and his arrogance fucked that up.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2011, 01:47:31 AM

Bitcoin is MIT.
Yeah and while it is less restrictive than the gpl RS still archived to violate it.
I am beginning to wonder if this was on purpose.

btw: anybody has given oracle a hint yet? He is cheating them on license fees...
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 01:48:06 AM

If the code is released non open source, I think his license might be invalid and you can use the source freely.  I am not a lawyer though.  If you use a gpl project, your project must be gpl too.
Bitcoin is MIT.

Which means that he can do whatever he wants with the code, doesn't have to open the derivative's source. If he distributes the source, he needs to attach this license to it, that's all (EDIT: Yeah OK, probably the binary too, but I don't think that's the problem at hand). This is the intended consequence of the MIT license. For instance, you can include code from Bitcoin in a proprietary POS system.

I wouldn't even touch Bitcoin if it weren't open source in the first place, for good reason. But it's a totally different story. For instance, SolidCoin could release necessary specs to build a fully functional node. In that case there is no need for releasing the client source for the users to trust the system.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2011, 01:55:59 AM

(EDIT: Yeah OK, probably the binary too, but I don't think that's the problem at hand). This is the intended  consequence of the MIT license. For instance, you can include code from Bitcoin in a proprietary POS system.
It is, it's the same thing with creative commons commercial attributed licenses.
A commercial POS system should have no problems citing that. And for a proprietary version, yes they would have to start from scratch, only the protocol itself doesn't require a license.
memvola

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 02:11:29 AM

And for a proprietary version, yes they would have to start from scratch, only the protocol itself doesn't require a license.

Don't think that's the case. I've been licencing my software as BSD and usually use BSD-licensed ones. BSD or MIT licensed code has been included in proprietary software, including Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X.
memvola

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 02:15:22 AM

The ONLY thing I mean literally ONLY thing he had to do to be compliant is include the copyright and notice with any distrubtion source or binary.

It isn't clear to me if the notice is required for binary distributions. Could be the case but it would be helpful (to me at least) if you can cite a discussion about it.
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 02:24:13 AM

He just has no spirit of OPEN SOURCE.

Syke (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 03:30:49 AM

The ONLY thing I mean literally ONLY thing he had to do to be compliant is include the copyright and notice with any distrubtion source or binary.
It isn't clear to me if the notice is required for binary distributions. Could be the case but it would be helpful (to me at least) if you can cite a discussion about it.
Let me quote the license for you.
"The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software."
It says "all copies". How can that not include binary distributions?

Buy & Hold
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: