Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:05:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BitCoin Forensics  (Read 1914 times)
maninmiddle (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 04:53:32 PM

Introduction
I'm Digital Forensic Student, taking master for research and my Project is digital currency (focusing on Bitcoin)

Problem Context
Threads in Client side
Threads in network(during transaction)
Threads on bitcoin server side

Rationale
client side
-checking system for any keylogger,virus,trojan- checking bitcoin files on client to find any changes
network
-checking authentication process between two users ( check clients system or isp records for any cracking hacking suspicious acts  -checking any network activity related to man in the middle or other similar acts
serverside
-(am not still very clear how bitcoin working,still researching) checking possibility of attack on server.

MY QUESTIONS
is there any other thread i have missed? any idea where i have to check in client system for bitcoin records? does bitcoin wallet saves information in client side? how?where?

thank you

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
phazedoubt

Activity: 18

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:17:37 PM

Can't help with much but what i can say is yes there is info stored in the wallet.  To that end, i would suggest that you also need to study and identify the difference between a hot wallet vs an offline wallet or cold storage and it's implication on security.
maninmiddle (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 08:33:49 AM

thank you for your reply now am more clear about bitcoin wallets. i have new question :
1. are all other coin systems,such as litecoin, dogecoin and peercoin based on bitcoin system and only their difference is in details ? or they are totaly different by bitcoin system ?

2. miners job is to do the hashing algorithm on transactions,so nay miner with more powerful computer can hash more transaction and increases its chance to earn more. isnt it dangerous that anonymous people are in charge of securing our transaction? cant they just use this opportunity to steal money?

3. i checked, bitcoin got many different wallets, desktop, mobile, paper, device, web based, ... are other coin systems such as i mentioned above also have different wallets? as by checking their website, i cant find such information and just see software for different platforms such as windows ios linux android
hope i receive answer from u guys
thank you
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 11:13:46 AM

Where exactly are you studying this and is there any way that your results get communicated to/used by law enforcement or intelligence agencies?

Sorry, but I definitely will NOT help anyone creating something that can simply scan a HDD and then a "uses Bitcoin" flag pops up.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
maninmiddle (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 11:40:17 AM

well so far am asking general questions, it wont hurt if u give me some information if u got . intelligence agencies or other organizations for sure have much more information already, what im doing is just a simple research on digital currencies. u can feel free to not helping me if u find your information is secret and not many people know about that.
Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 11:49:41 AM

You did not answer my question.

maninmiddle (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 03:48:00 PM

is this forum to talk about members life and where they live or study?! im interested in digital currencies and im doing a research about it. am not very clear yet, so i hope get some professional answer here to help me understand digital currency better. if anyone interested in me and my university or want to date me or whatever Grin click on my profile name then pm me, same to u dear sukrim
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 10:24:28 AM

Bitcions Forensics should be a tv show...  Tired of all the fake cop crap.  CSI Miami and all that jazz is boring.  The is ready for and needs a bitcoin forensics show IMO
maninmiddle (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 02:14:53 PM

imagine your coins been stolen ... imagine bitcoin its self steels your coins and blames hackers! what can i do? u need an investigator who be expert in bitcoin to find what did really happend?  or imagine a terrorist group transfers money to their followers in usa and they bought some nuclears and destroy all NY, sure u wont like it, so there should be a monitoring on this system. or imagine u make transaction,but a man in the middle happens and your money instead of your friends wallet redirects to another account
    .... me actualy not caring much about money landury or using system in bad way, i think its against freedom and privacy and there should be found other ways, but what im interested in my project is to know differences of digital coin systems , how secure is our transaction while being done by anonymous miners and some info about dogecoin peercoin and litecoin, i searched already,seems they are not as advanced as bitcoin, as bitcoin have many different type of wallets, but if am wrong, a comment would be appreciated ,

and dont get forensic phobia plz,its kinda funny ! my information and power to compare with fbi or nsa or even mi6 is like a drop in ocean!
Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 02:23:09 PM

or imagine a terrorist group transfers money to their followers in usa and they bought some nuclears and destroy all NY, sure u wont like it, so there should be a monitoring on this system.
There are nukes on sale on bitpremium? Grin

my information and power to compare with fbi or nsa or even mi6 is like a drop in ocean!
Go ask them then.

maninmiddle (OP)

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 02:58:17 PM

dude, seems u are not professional ,or matured enough! its a forum to talk about bitcoin, its not to refer people to other places to find answer, like cia and nsa!
and i didnt say anythign about there is nuclear to send through bitcoin! its simple,bitcoin can be used to transfer money without any monitoring, so it doesnt need to be smart to understand that this money can be used by any kind of organization. maybe if u have no idea or not interested to help,just dont comment, am sure nobody will blame u for being silent
maninmiddle (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 12:53:40 PM

thank you for your reply now am more clear about bitcoin wallets. i have new question :
1. are all other coin systems,such as litecoin, dogecoin and peercoin based on bitcoin system and only their difference is in details ? or they are totaly different by bitcoin system ?

2. miners job is to do the hashing algorithm on transactions,so nay miner with more powerful computer can hash more transaction and increases its chance to earn more. isnt it dangerous that anonymous people are in charge of securing our transaction? cant they just use this opportunity to steal money?

3. i checked, bitcoin got many different wallets, desktop, mobile, paper, device, web based, ... are other coin systems such as i mentioned above also have different wallets? as by checking their website, i cant find such information and just see software for different platforms such as windows ios linux android
hope i receive answer from u guys
thank you
fbueller

Activity: 412
Merit: 266

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 11:40:53 PM

1: Bitcoin uses the SHA256 hashing algorithm, whereas litecoin uses scrypt. Litecoin, dogecoin, auroracoin, are all based on litecoin. Addresses for each coin contain a different address_version byte, which leads to a different first character: When you decode a bitcoin address (base58), the first two characters '00' are the cause for the 1 prefix. Litecoins is chosen to yield L, and dogecoin's D.

2: As you learn more about cryptographic signatures you'll see why miners can't steal your money.

3: Typically alt-coins will release a Bitcoin-QT based client, rebranded in their own fashion, and usually no others will get ported. Bitcoin-QT allows you to run a full node and mine, so when supplied with a new genesis block and different initial settings (like the block production rate, halving rate, retargeting frequency, etc) they get their new altcoin.

Bitwasp Developer.
maninmiddle (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 07:18:16 AM

that was great answer thank u Smiley
can u give me a journal or website link which helps me to understand all of this even your answer is abit difficult to me and i dont understand it all
thank u
maninmiddle (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 05:02:23 AM

last night,i watched a video about how bitcoin system works, and all the mathematical formulas ... it was a nightmare. today met my professor and asked me just to focus on wallets and not transactions.
i did research before, there are several types of wallets for bitcoin:
desktop wallet: bitcoin-qt , multibit , hive, armory , darkwallet (not finished yet)
mobile wallet: bitcoin wallet , mycelium , blockchain, kipochi
hardware wallets: trezor, mycelium, nymi also announced heart rhythm secure wallet on 4th feb 2014

my question is, do other digital coin systems also offering such variety of wallets? as i searched few websites and i couldnt find more than 1-2 wallet per system
maninmiddle (OP)

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 03:44:48 AM

my research isnt about mining speed or benefits u can earn per block and per transaction. am just working as digital forensic student
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: