Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:54:03 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Desperately need help.  (Read 2177 times)
Kikojui (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:37:48 PM

This is my first rig, me and my girlfriend invested all our saved money to build this, for us this was a viable investment opportunity.

Built the entire thing in a plastic milk cart (well similar to one)

Just got my rig set-up, installed drivers on it and then about a hour later of it running fine, I was browsing google for some odds and ends, then it just switched off!!
Now won't start!?

I've tried unplugging non essential items and unplugged and re-plugged it all in, still nothing!

SPECS:
Motherboard: ASROCK FM2A88X EXTREME6+
CPU: AMD A10 7700k FM2+ Socket
RAM: Vulcan, 8GB DDR3
GPU: RADEON HD7990 X 2
Riser Cables X 2
Wireless card: ASUS PCE-N15
PSU: Thermaltake 1275w toughpower TX Gold.

every now and then, when I press the power on the motherboard I hear a faint click from the PSU (probably normal) but nothign happens.

The board couldn't short out on anything as it's only in contact with plastic.

I'm sat here with no idea how to fix this, and panicking in fear of somehow wasting out money, please help me!!
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:47:10 PM

Ok let's do it step by step, check if the psu isn't faulty. Disconnect it from motherboard, plug the AC and bridge pin PWR ON with any of the GND. Check if it works Smiley

Next step, connect motherboard, cpu and ram only, no HDD, GPU or anything else and try if it works. Post here what happened.

Kikojui (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:53:33 PM

"Disconnect it from motherboard, plug the AC and bridge pin PWR ON with any of the GND. "

I'm a complete novice here, so I've taken the power cables out of the motherboard, what is an AC also don't know what GND is, sorry to be "that guy" :/

EDIT*:

"Next step, connect motherboard, cpu and ram only, no HDD, GPU or anything else and try if it works. Post here what happened."

I had only the CPU, RAM only in the motherborad, it still didn't work :/
EvilPanda

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 06:06:32 PM

"Disconnect it from motherboard, plug the AC and bridge pin PWR ON with any of the GND. "

I'm a complete novice here, so I've taken the power cables out of the motherboard, what is an AC also don't know what GND is, sorry to be "that guy" :/

Ok I'll make it as simple as possible. First disconnect all the cables comming out of your PSU, leave the power cord connected and make sure the switch on the back of the PSU is ON. Now take a paperclip or a piece of wire and put one end into PWR on pin and the other into GND pin on 24 pin PSU cable (check the picture from my previous post to find the correct pins). The PSU should turn if you do it, check if the fan starts turning.

Kikojui (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 06:14:07 PM

Ok I did that, it made a series of clicking noises then stopped as the full connection was made, no fan spin or anything. Mind you this model PSU only spins under load, but I THINK it spins upon start up, so is it a brand new PSU that is defective?
EvilPanda

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 06:52:52 PM

Ok I did that, it made a series of clicking noises then stopped as the full connection was made, no fan spin or anything. Mind you this model PSU only spins under load, but I THINK it spins upon start up, so is it a brand new PSU that is defective?
Normally the PSU starts when both pins connect and doesn't need any load. If your connection is good and the PSU turns off right after start it might be damaged. As long as the pins stay in touch it should keep working, you can connect an external fan, fan controller, or just an LED to one of the plugs. It would be best if you had a multimeter.
If you want to test it take a molex plug and connect something to it - yellow wires are +12V, black are ground and red are +5V.

I'd recommend to connect the PSU to another pc. If you don't have it at home take it to a friend and try if it starts. Most likely one of the protection circiuits in your PSU kicks in and turn it off.

Kikojui (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 09:55:39 PM

Thank you for the fast and great advice, I'm sending back the PSU tomorrow. I'll know for definite if it's the PSU when the new one arrives.

That simple test kinda seemed conclusive, I appreciate you taking the time out to help and explain it to someone new to all this.
EvilPanda

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 10:16:49 PM

Thank you for the fast and great advice, I'm sending back the PSU tomorrow. I'll know for definite if it's the PSU when the new one arrives.

That simple test kinda seemed conclusive, I appreciate you taking the time out to help and explain it to someone new to all this.
To be 100% sure you'd have to swap it with another one (even an old, used one) or get a PSU tester

Good luck Smiley

Kikojui (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 05:27:18 PM

I sent off the PSU, They said they would test it then if it's defective send a new one.

They sent a new one, I installed it and it worked!!!   

For about a hour, I went to check on it (was updating wallet) and it was off... And the SAME. PROBLEM.

So, I'm guessing it's NOT the PSU?

I have no idea what to do, I can't send this one off as well... I just don't know what to do.
I was looking it over, did I plug something in the wrong place? Not to my (be it limited) knowledge.
Motherboard was plugged in, PCIe was all plugged in correct as was the SSD... I just have no idea?!
E.exchanger

Activity: 714

NEED CRYPTO CODER? COIN DEVELOPER? PM US FOR HELP!

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 07:40:47 PM

Well iam sorry to hear your problem dude well i can't help you in it because you have already done a lot of what i can tell you to do so my suggestion on it would be post this in the marketplace under services and hire someone with excellent knowledge about it to guide you over skype on this. don't worry i don't think it will cost much $$$. Smiley good luck though 
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 07:47:30 PM

Your power supply is a pile of crap, I am sorry to say.

It wastes a full 40A of 12V on the EPS connector, for god knows what reason. That is 480W, subtracted from the total available to GPUs. The second 12V rail is only good for 65A, which is 195Wx4=780W.

I would imagine 195Wx2 is not enough for a hot 7990, but close. Probably why it runs till it gets hot, then blows up.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
Kikojui (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 09:13:29 PM

Your power supply is a pile of crap, I am sorry to say.

It wastes a full 40A of 12V on the EPS connector, for god knows what reason. That is 480W, subtracted from the total available to GPUs. The second 12V rail is only good for 65A, which is 195Wx4=780W.

I would imagine 195Wx2 is not enough for a hot 7990, but close. Probably why it runs till it gets hot, then blows up.

Firstly I've never even got to mine yet or even stress anything, first PSU died while I was installing the drivers... waited then the next PSU arrived today, installed, it worked then while I was updating my wallet it did the exact same thing.

If it was built badly, or incorrectly plugged in then the problem would be instant, the thing that confuses me is the fast it runs for a hour ish before they both died.

I just want to mine Sad
I'll get a different PSU to test.

I'm running 2 X HD7990

So I need over 1000w I'm correct?

What PSU would you suggest? And you're certain it is the PSU? I've been asking around and people seem to think it's very unlikley it's my build quality (it's built in a milk crate)

Thanks for the replies!
pontiacg5

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 09:27:46 PM

If for some reason the power supply is in a dead short it will never turn on. I'd unplug everything but the motherboard, and if it still doesn't start, I'd try jumping the power on signal. Some atx psu fans may not spin up right away (corsairs...) but you should get 12V on a meter or an old case fan. If not, it is the power supply.

Even if you were to get it mining, I doubt it would last. Without doing some custom wiring to get at that wasted 12V current I'd never recommended that power supply for mining. Thermaltake isn't the worst brand around, but by far not the best. All IMO, of course.

A 7990 is a pair of 7970's which is a 250W TDP card (most can run 200-225W while mining.) I've never used them before though, but yes 1kw should be plenty. Try and find a mono-rail power supply if you decide to replace it. I like the corsair/EVGA supplies, except the RM corsair series. 

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
Kikojui (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 10:00:54 PM

Would:

EVGA SuperNova G2 1300W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply (120-G2-1300-XR)

Be a good call? I'm definitely replacing the crappy PSU.

pontiacg5

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 10:55:44 PM

Yeah, I love those power supplies and have over 10 of them. In fact, I thought I had bought them all! Grin Are you sure what you are looking at is in stock? I believe that model is discontinued, so most places show a lead time that will likely never come.

Kikojui (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 11:03:42 PM

Just bought one from a site that had 3 in stock apparently. So you don't have them all!!

Lucky for a newbie like me, SO hard getting into mining when other miners have cleaned out all the components hahahahaha!!!

PLEASE (even if you have to lie) TELL ME this will work, and it's not somehow me just slaying all these PSU's ;_;

Thank you for your help and advice, Monday... Is judgement day probably.
pontiacg5

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 11:19:14 PM

Heh, I guess I missed a few  Cheesy They actually look to be in stock everywhere now, maybe it's just the NEX-1500 that's gone. I miss black Friday pricing though!

Those power supplies are bad, as in you will not be able to kill it no matter what you ask of it! Plenty of power too, for what you've got here. Only thing I'd keep in mind is make sure to use 4 of the pci-e power cords. It comes with two "doubled" power connectors, but with 7990's you'll be putting too much load on the splitter cable. You'll want to use all four of the single 8 pin power cables, instead of two splitter cables. I'm not sure how to explain that clearer, but it'll make sense when you see the cables.

7970's are a dream to configure, I've yet to come across one that didn't scream at 8192 I13 G2 ~1000/1500. I imagine the 7990 is similar, like exactly similar. You shouldn't have a problem, once you get the machine to stay on  Grin

Kikojui (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 11:53:26 PM

Ah... I was using the splitter cables, THANK YOU for that advice, I appreciate it I'll use 4 dedicated cables from now on.

But that can't have killed them since I never even got to the point of really using the GPU other than just browsing windows to sort out drivers.

pontiacg5

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 12:07:19 AM

No problem, they may have got a little toasty were you able to start mining  Wink

The voltage drop from the extra resistance certainly wouldn't help since you would have been running so close on that second 12V rail, either!

Kikojui (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 04:16:49 PM

~~UPDATE~~:
Bought a PSU tester for the dead PSU, I've no idea what this means but I'm pretty sure a few more LED's should be lit up, am I right in assuming it's dead?  If so then the other PSU would have been completely the same.

Only 1 of the 7 LED's is lit, is it possible my set-up could have done this? (I know I keep asking)
Just seems weird to break after a hour (non stress) use, and then get a replacement that does the EXACT same thing.

Guess tomorrow I'll know for sure if its the model since I ordered a different PSU last night, next day delivery.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb191/kikojui/140314-160644_zpse72f85e9.jpg
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: