Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:15:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost wallet.dat password help!  (Read 393 times)
JulioVasquez (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2018, 02:13:17 PM

Hola! I just have found my old wallet.dat from a backup. What is the fastest way to see a balance? i do not want to use pywallet, prefer a web service. I don't have my password or public key. File is from June,2015. Thanks in advance for all advice!!!! Julio
pickupcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1203
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2018, 02:43:17 PM

If you know which wallet software use, maybe try to load wallet.dat file with them. You can't make any transaction without your encryption password, but I think you can see balance and then you will know it is worth effort.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4983

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2018, 02:48:00 PM
Merited by LoyceV (2)

My gut feeling would say that you're talking about a bitcoin core wallet, since the wallet's name is wallet.dat, it's a file from 2015 AND you're talking about pywallet.

You don't need to unlock your wallet to see the balance, however, there are 3 ways to see the balance:
1) use core to load the wallet.dat and wait untill core syncs... This will probably take several days, maybe even weeks
2) use pywallet to export the private keys and import those in an SPV wallet like electrum
3) use core to load the wallet.dat, use the console to list all addresses, import those addresses into an SPV wallet to create a watch-only wallet

Why don't you want to use pywallet? Is there a reason, or is it just because you don't want to invest time in setting everything up? Pywallet would be by far the fastest way to be able to spend those funds... Option 1 will take ages and option 3 is a watch-only wallet...

EDIT: i just realised you probably don't want to use pywallet because you forgot your password... Maybe this tool will help?
https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
JulioVasquez (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2018, 03:06:04 PM

If you know which wallet software use, maybe try to load wallet.dat file with them. You can't make any transaction without your encryption password, but I think you can see balance and then you will know it is worth effort.

I think it's bitcoin core... I used to run a local node, but not anymore.

I need something to see balance/public key without syncing, is there any tool for PC(Windows10) to analyze a wallet.dat file?
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2018, 04:48:08 PM

I need something to see balance/public key without syncing, is there any tool for PC(Windows10) to analyze a wallet.dat file?

You can either use pywallet (but please ONLY on a copy of your wallet file) or simply download/install core and export the private keys.

Then import these private keys into a lightweight client (e.g. electrum).

Or, if you only want to check the balance: Import your wallet into core and look all the addresses up in a block explorer (e.g. https://blockchair.com/ or https://www.blockchain.com/).

JulioVasquez (OP)

View Profile
November 21, 2018, 01:43:04 PM

You can either use pywallet (but please ONLY on a copy of your wallet file) or simply download/install core and export the private keys.

Or, if you only want to check the balance: Import your wallet into core and look all the addresses up in a block explorer (e.g. https://blockchair.com/ or https://www.blockchain.com/).

Did you actually look at my question? Your answer doesnt make sense. I specifically said i dont want to use pywallet or bitcoin core to sync.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 16662

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2018, 03:10:45 PM
Merited by BitcoinSupremo (1)

Did you actually look at my question? Your answer doesnt make sense. I specifically said i dont want to use pywallet or bitcoin core to sync.
Bitcoin Core doesn't need to sync to show the addresses in your wallet, that's why you can use an external client or block explorer to see your balances.

bob123
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2018, 07:19:27 AM

Did i mention you should sync core to send your funds to another wallet? No, i didn't.

Core only needs to be synced to show your current balance and to be able to send funds.

The approach i have suggested however does NOT need core to be synced:

[...] or simply download/install core and export the private keys.

Or, if you only want to check the balance: Import your wallet into core and look all the addresses up in a block explorer [...]

You NEED core to access your wallet.dat file. Simply because it has been created by core.

JulioVasquez (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2018, 10:44:31 AM

Thank you guys for these tips. Do you know anybody here who can help me with this issue? It looks a bit difficult for me.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4983

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2018, 10:52:05 AM

Thank you guys for these tips. Do you know anybody here who can help me with this issue? It looks a bit difficult for me.

First rule of bitcoin is: never share your private keys... And that's exactly what's needed in order for anybody to help you...

I'd personally go for one of these options:
1) Let somebody assist you on how to proceed on your own system... Work with somebody that doesn't have access to your system, but share logs and screenshots so he/she can help you... Be carefull not to share the wallet.dat or the private keys. If you want to, i can help you out, but since it's a private job and not a public service, i'd probably charge you for my time... No offence, but i've tried helping out new members in private several times, and usually it's very time consuming, and the new member usually dissapears without even saying thank you after they've regained access to their funds... So i no longer do private charity work.

2) find somebody with massive green trust, ask him/her to help you.. I've heared good things about this guy => https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=130960 <= but i cannot vouch for him personally since i've always solved my own problems

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 16662

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2018, 11:19:07 AM
Merited by S_Therapist (1)

Is there a reason you don't want to install Bitcoin Core? You wanted "the fastest way", but that's a week ago. Unless your internet provider limits you on data, you could have been done already. It takes just over 200 GB of disk space, and if you're low on space, you can use Prune block storage (under Settings > Options), after which it only takes a few GB.

This is still the fastest method:
3) use core to load the wallet.dat, use the console to list all addresses, import those addresses into an SPV wallet to create a watch-only wallet

JulioVasquez (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2018, 01:01:19 PM

Is there a reason you don't want to install Bitcoin Core? You wanted "the fastest way", but that's a week ago. Unless your internet provider limits you on data, you could have been done already. It takes just over 200 GB of disk space, and if you're low on space, you can use Prune block storage (under Settings > Options), after which it only takes a few GB.

This is still the fastest method:

Only you westerners have the advantage of enjoying unlimited plans, here in Venezuela you have to pay for each mb.
I want a quick way to read a file, as I dont want to spend weeks of syncing. Anyone here with technical experience, I mean real experience like know how to read a DB format, not just copy&paste github repos.
bob123
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2018, 01:08:05 PM
Merited by LoyceV (1)

I want a quick way to read a file, as I dont want to spend weeks of syncing. Anyone here with technical experience, I mean real experience like know how to read a DB format, not just copy&paste github repos.

I don't know how often you want to hear it..

Install core and load your wallet.dat into it. You do NOT NEED to sync the blockchain.

Then simply check the addresses on a block explorer or import the private keys directly into electrum.

This takes 5 minutes maximum. The fact that you are still asking the same question after 20 days shows that you don't even appreciate any suggestions.
I wouldn't expect anyone else to help you with this if you don't want to accept the fastest and easiest approach.

andrecalabrese

Activity: 13
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 14, 2019, 12:35:36 PM

I have a python script which parses the wallet.dat file in 1 minute and prints out all balances and adresses, its 50USD, or 0.4 ETH, interested?
JulioVasquez (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2019, 12:38:34 PM

I have a python script which parses the wallet.dat file in 1 minute and prints out all balances and adresses, its 50USD, or 0.4 ETH, interested?

I will PM you!
keychainX

Activity: 374
Merit: 53

Telegram @keychainX

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2019, 02:10:31 PM

does it check for balances online or on your local node?

JulioVasquez (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2019, 01:32:47 PM

does it check for balances online or on your local node?
it works quickly, check balance online. Takes 1 minute for my file. thank you bartek.

we can close this thread.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: