Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 09:29:17 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What is the best way to sercurly store bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies
Paper Wallet stored somewhere sercure and safe
Store encrypted on a USB Device
Stored inside an encrypted computer on a virtual machine
Stored on my computer
Stored on an exchange or wallet with 2fa
In a transaction that is multisigned with all the heys being stored in differnt vaults or locations
stored in a brainwallet
stored in a paper wallet each address with only 5-10% of the total amount
stored in an address with the private key encrypted and then written on a dog tag or key chain that is always carried around
Stored in a multisign transaction with 1 piece always on you in the form of a dogtag or keychain, one in a vault, and the last one somewhere dug underground
Armory M of N backup of an offline created wallet stored in multiple different physical locations
offline wallet secured on a laptop in a safe with no connection

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the best way to sercurly store bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies  (Read 2558 times)
starsoccer9 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1630
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 08:48:10 PM

I was curious as what most users though would be the most secure way to keep bitcoins safe. Please vote in the poll and if you have a better idea please post it and I will add it to the poll.
BeepBeep2

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 08:51:12 PM

I would probably personally copy mine over 4-5 USB drives and maybe an SD card or three left in a safe.

I answered Paper Wallet.  Tongue

BTC: 184DMeGc6E7CoQVH3A9NvcCuRVRcv3wE2Y | LTC: LP4iqohSWKiws4j9jTTnqd89EEffEymsoJ
Join Cryptsy, which is now faster than ever! https://www.cryptsy.com/users/register?refid=102995
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 08:52:44 PM

Armory M of N backup of an offline created wallet stored in multiple different physical locations.
Why do people still talk about secure storage as if Armory hasn't solved that problem for years?

Armory works. Just use it.
mz1000

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 09:19:02 PM

What's the difference between "Paper Wallet stored somewhere sercure and safe" and
"stored in a paper wallet each address with only 5-10% of the total amount"?

Both votes are for paper wallet?
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 09:21:41 PM

I would do something you haven't mentioned on these polls:

. Put the coins on a laptop

. Put the coins in an offline armoury wallet

. disconnect the laptop from the internet until you actually need to coins to spend

. If you're really paranoid, stick the laptop in a safe where no one can get at it

Why would I use a laptop? If you need to run off and you want to transfer your coins somewhere the laptop has everything you need and after that you just need to enable wi-fi again and can transfer the coins somewhere else, virtual servers and the like would only be safe depending on certain situations but for most people I think a laptop would be best another reason being that USB's would be far too easy to lose because of their size and you wouldn't notice if someone took it.

I can understand the idea of paper wallets but I think they're ridiculous, like fiat money they're easy to tear and you can set them on fire pretty easily, not something I would have a lot of money attached to.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 09:32:23 PM

buy netbook.
install bitcoin-QT.
save on USB (3x).
store in any place hide.

SAFE for 15 years.
Singlebyte

Activity: 854

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 09:42:56 PM

Armory M of N backup of an offline created wallet stored in multiple different physical locations.

"What is the best way to sercurly store bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies"

Sorry, but armory will not do other cryptos.  Only truly safe way for those would be a paper wallet.  That being said, there is no reason you couldn't safely keep a wallet on a USB or offline computer as well and still sleep at night.
Beefy

Activity: 3

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 09:57:47 PM

I generated encrypted private keys for Litecoin, Bitcoin and Doge on an offline Linux boot disk.  Printed a copy of the encrypted keys and stored a hand written note in multiple locations with the 8 word passphrase (which also happens to be easy to retrieve mentally).

Currently using it as my bank vault. If I ever need to tap the funds, I'll go back through the same process.
dave3k

Activity: 147

Realbitcoin.info

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 11:24:31 PM

I can understand the idea of paper wallets but I think they're ridiculous, like fiat money they're easy to tear and you can set them on fire pretty easily, not something I would have a lot of money attached to.

With paper wallet, you can keep (encrypted) ones in you real life wallet and in an emergency use Mycelium's cold spend feature.
You can also keep a backup (or multiple) elsewhere.

I struggle to see the advantage of keeping a cold laptop unless it was to sign transactions then move them on to a live pc.
I think I'm more likely to spill water on a laptop then set fire to my wallet.

Realbitcoin.info
lnternet

Activity: 299
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 11:49:59 PM

Tattooed a a graphic on my leg that when hashed reveals a private key.

1ntemetqbXokPSSkuHH4iuAJRTQMP6uJ9
CryptoDomains

Activity: 159

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 12:12:38 AM

I voted PW, just seems that this way the only way I ever lose is if I goof up. Can't blame anyone but yourself after that.

On a side note, how exactly are you making these wallets, what is the popular method or site?
starsoccer9 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 12:33:06 AM

Added your option

I would do something you haven't mentioned on these polls:

. Put the coins on a laptop

. Put the coins in an offline armoury wallet

. disconnect the laptop from the internet until you actually need to coins to spend

. If you're really paranoid, stick the laptop in a safe where no one can get at it

Why would I use a laptop? If you need to run off and you want to transfer your coins somewhere the laptop has everything you need and after that you just need to enable wi-fi again and can transfer the coins somewhere else, virtual servers and the like would only be safe depending on certain situations but for most people I think a laptop would be best another reason being that USB's would be far too easy to lose because of their size and you wouldn't notice if someone took it.

Added an option offline wallet secured on a laptop in a safe with no connection
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2014, 12:35:57 AM

My answer is "Paper wallie" Smiley

But when I was answering a though came to my mind.

Smiley

I haven't got a problem with "What is the best way to sercurly store bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies"

When I will have possibility to save some ammount of BTC to hold I will use paper wallet for sure.

But.

None of those methods are perfect and all of them might crash Tongue

Perhaps better to use few methods at a same time Tongue

1.Brain Smiley lol Tongue I need to train harded my memory to remember private keys Cheesy hehehe
2.Paper
3.Some usb
4.Maybe some sdcard

Perhaps is you will use all of those you will not lose your BTC but it might get stolen Tongue

As usual ... everything what have a value can be stolen.

♥♦♣♠
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 1373

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 12:57:44 AM

In the MaidSafe cloud, a piece of the hash here, a piece of the hash there, and you with the only key(s) to connect them all.

Smiley

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/, https://thedrardisshow.com/, https://thehighwire.com/.
starsoccer9 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 03:11:16 AM

In the MaidSafe cloud, a piece of the hash here, a piece of the hash there, and you with the only key(s) to connect them all.

Smiley

That is actully a very neat/good idea. Tho Im not aware of many/any programs using maidsafe currently. Is their a way to view programs that make use of it?
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 04:28:58 AM

The most reliable way to store Bitcoins is made less reliable by telling people what they are looking for if they'd like to steal them.  So I'm not going to say.

I can tell you however, that a so-called "Brainwallet" is one of the very WORST ways to store bitcoins.  In fact the longer it takes to generate a Brainwallet, the worse it is. 

Remember, everybody can see all the accounts.  They have your pubkey.  A brainwallet makes your privkey easy to guess, and they don't have to steal a thing from you.
Enayem

Activity: 10

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 04:37:06 AM

Why do people still talk about secure storage as if Armory hasn't solved that problem for years?

Armory works. Just use it.

What he said.
amspir

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 01:07:43 PM

I use multiple, non-password protected paper wallets, which I generated myself on a offline, non-compromised system, so I can reasonable be sure that the wallets are not compromised, which I keep physically secure, only accessible to myself.  Bitcoins are kept in small denominations on multiple paper wallets.

My goals are to 1) keep my private keys physically secure; 2) anomymize my usage of bitcoins and  3) make my private keys accessible to my heirs in the case of my death.

I do not use a password, because if I were to die or become sick or injured in a certain way,
otherwise my wallets would become permanently inaccessible.  My heirs could hire a consultant to attempt cracking passwords, but that would be a situation that could potentially in end in fraud.

If I need to spend stored bitcoin, I will use the private keys and load them to a hot wallet.  I consider the paper wallet exposed once brought in contact with an online system.  While the keys are "online", I consider this a riskier situation than offline, because I imagine the common bitcoin hacker attack of the future would be for hackers to install key loggers along with stealing encrypted wallet files containing private keys.  The amount of time and value that my bitcoin would be exposed to online attack would be minimized, as any remainder of the bitcoin I transact would be swept back to a fresh offline paper wallet with private keys that exist nowhere online.

When I conduct cash transactions, I don't record the serial number of every bill that I use and keep a record of where I got it and where I spent it.  While impractical to do with cash, it is very easy to do with bitcoin.   I'm concerned with my privacy, I don't want this information to exist or be accessible to other people.   For instance, I may have contributed to an activist organization that is later declared to be a terrorist organization by the Department of Homeland Security.   Evidence of my contribution would open me to further scrutiny or possible criminal prosecution.  Or I may have transacted with an apparently legal business that turns out to be a cash cleaning front for a drug cartel.  If I am connected to the transaction, I may be legally compelled to testify against the drug cartel which could put me and and my family in danger.

By destroying used paper wallets (after all transactions involving the wallet address are confirmed), I remove the major proof that I possessed the bitcoin at the wallet's address at one time.  Keeping backups of private keys hinders this process.  There are still other methods of exposing my usage of the address by making the address public, the sender of funds associates the address with me, the signed transaction submitted to the network traces back to an IP node associated with me, the receiver of the funds associates the address to me.  Being found in possession of the private key would serve to collaborate the other evidence.

Keeping multiple backups I believe decreases security and increases the possibility of theft, since a determined thief would have multiple points to gain access to the private keys.

Essentially, I store my bitcoin in a way that is very similar to the paradigm of storing physical currency.  I only have control of my bitcoin if I physically possess the paper wallets with unexposed private keys.  To get my bitcoin, you would have to compromise the physical security of where my paper wallets are stored; or somehow find a weakness in the way I generated my paper wallets in the first place.
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2014, 01:13:34 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2014, 02:15:50 PM by Beliathon

I had my friend, who is a board-certified surgeon, open up my abdomen cavity and place a ziplock bag with my paper wallet inside. It will remain there for 7 years before I must re-do the operation or spend the coins. Please don't find out who I am and cut me open in my sleep. ):

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
starsoccer9 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 01:52:42 PM

I had my friend, who is a board-certified surgeon, open up my abdomen cavity and place a ziplock bag with my paper wallet inside. It will remain there for 7 years before I must re-do the operation or spend the coins. Please don't find out who I am and cut my open in my sleep. ):

If your serious I think that was the most secure idea until you just said it. I hope you hid your IP. There may be people looking to cut you open.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: