Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 04:58:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Z9 Mini batch 4 working temp, fan, Overclock NO Dev-Fee  (Read 1371 times)
efudd

Activity: 504
Merit: 51

View Profile
November 27, 2018, 06:54:53 PM
Last edit: November 27, 2018, 07:15:18 PM by efudd

Glad you got it working. As Jason said it is an issue some have seen after an upgrade. My brother has the same issue on a couple of his after an upgrade of fw..

I am far from an expert on these units and hopefully we can all learn as we move on.

I am looking into trying to port the V9 hashboards to work on z9 machines.....But that is a project that will take some time that is even if it is possible. So I may steer away from this project. If it is possible to do what I want a V9 should produce as much as 3 z9's if it is possible.

Jason you have any thoughts on porting the v9

Are you saying your plan is to take a "v9 hashboard" and make it do "equihash" as a Z9?... I'm just going to assume you are trolling at this point and get off of the chipless train. An ASIC cannot be repurposed like that.

Jason

efudd

View Profile
November 27, 2018, 07:15:29 PM

Glad you got it working. As Jason said it is an issue some have seen after an upgrade. My brother has the same issue on a couple of his after an upgrade of fw..
...snip...

Just for a point of clarity, I did not say that it is an issue some have seen after an upgrade. I said "I cannot see how this would happen", which is very different.

astraleureka

Activity: 236
Merit: 16

View Profile
November 27, 2018, 11:11:23 PM

Yeah, the V9 utilizes the same ASIC design as the S7, Bitmain just ordered a new run of those chips under a new model number for whatever bizarre reason. Fundamentally impossible for it to handle equihash at the core level, nevermind the fact that there isn't any DRAM present either.
chipless (OP)

Activity: 559
Merit: 4

View Profile
November 28, 2018, 01:07:53 AM

Actually an asic can be used for its non intended purpose.

I have worked in the past on a few projects where the code was rewritten. It doesn't mean you need or use the asic fully but instead use it to assist in your calculations.

I spent 20 yrs working with satellite code and devices where similar ports have been done. One big example would be the Atmel AVR devices. Biggest problem with them was eventually the code got too large for them, where with the antminers  you have much more space to use. As I said it is something I am going to look into. It is a theory I am going to look into for a bit. There are many ways to manipulate data and still get the same results for the output.

Jason I am not on no train, I can agree to disagree and can move past it. Fights, arguments and disagreement are part of the world. I will get with you in a pm at some point in the next few days to inform you of a few things I found in your release that you may want to address.

Share your results with others on my Discord channel
https://discord.gg/6t62apJ
efudd

View Profile
November 28, 2018, 01:11:58 AM

Actually an asic can be used for its non intended purpose.

I have worked in the past on a few projects where the code was rewritten. It doesn't mean you need or use the asic fully but instead use it to assist in your calculations.

I spent 20 yrs working with satellite code and devices where similar ports have been done. One big example would be the Atmel AVR devices. Biggest problem with them was eventually the code got too large for them, where with the antminers  you have much more space to use. As I said it is something I am going to look into. It is a theory I am going to look into for a bit. There are many ways to manipulate data and still get the same results for the output.

Jason I am not on no train, I can agree to disagree and can move past it. Fights, arguments and disagreement are part of the world. I will get with you in a pm at some point in the next few days to inform you of a few things I found in your release that you may want to address.

Please do. Thanks.

An Amtel AVR is not an ASIC.

Are you sure you have not mixed up "FPGA" and "ASIC"?

Jason

astraleureka

View Profile
November 28, 2018, 01:47:03 AM

The AVR is not even a FPGA, it's just a standard CPU...
efudd

View Profile
November 28, 2018, 01:50:35 AM

The AVR is not even a FPGA, it's just a standard CPU...

Aye, I know. Smiley .. I'm just trying to figure out some explanation.

chipless (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2018, 03:10:33 AM

No one said use and AVR it was an example of how one very complicated encryption code was converted to be run from an AVR and not the original ASIC and hardware. Come on guys really. Plainly put one type of code and hardware was said to never be able to run on anything else and they were wrong. Just like no one thought you could mine equihash or litecoin with an asic and now it can be done.

And yes you could mine equihash with a microcontroller type device if coded correctly don't know how much speed you can get but it could be done. Where as with the antminers you have a whole OS to work with. Who says you have to use cgminer, a replacement custom software could be placed on the miner instead. Basically you would turn another miner into a emulator of other miners.

Currently I am mining bitcoin and equihash from a the same Z9. By merging different parts of each OS/Firmware I have 1 hashboard from a V9 running with 3 hashboards of the Z9. I just started this last night but so far it has been running fine. I have 2 different weg gui's to access and monitor each type of board. I get 1.5-2.0 TH from the bitcoin board.

If it continues to work well I may release a version so people can make a few bits of bitcoin while they are mining equihash by just adding a V9 hashboard to the 4th plug on the main miner controller. I have 4 boards on another Z9 and it is pulling 74-80 k/sol @ 656 mhz

KougarLOB

Activity: 136

View Profile
November 28, 2018, 06:05:37 AM

I have a Batch 1 Z9Mini running at 718 frequency (15.6KH @ 335W).  Maybe I can go higher, haven't tried.  Fan noise is fine even outside a supression box I made of pine and plush carpeting.

What benefits might I see with this firmware?  Voltage tuning?  Finally be able to run on Nicehash?
You say it's a basic mod with no Dev fee.  Just weighing benefits and risk.  Thanks for your help.

1ER7JwEjpjQfm4qaTxy6EaNdNy8MqzP1pt  Smiley
chipless (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2018, 06:22:49 AM

I have a Batch 1 Z9Mini running at 718 frequency (15.6KH @ 335W).  Maybe I can go higher, haven't tried.  Fan noise is fine even outside a supression box I made of pine and plush carpeting.

What benefits might I see with this firmware?  Voltage tuning?  Finally be able to run on Nicehash?
You say it's a basic mod with no Dev fee.  Just weighing benefits and risk.  Thanks for your help.

As of now it only has a fix for the fan and temps for the batch 4s and allows overclocking. Nothing more the it has no devfee I wanted to make sure people understood that. if people want to donate for a free fan fix then they can for the time it took me if not I don't need the money that bad. It was just a fan fix. If you need more features there is other firmware out there that could suit your needs.

astraleureka

View Profile
November 28, 2018, 05:45:20 PM

Just like no one thought you could mine equihash or litecoin with an asic and now it can be done.

Only fools thought it would be impossible. Anybody with a clue knew that it would just take time for the chip dev ROI to make sense.

And yes you could mine equihash with a microcontroller type device if coded correctly don't know how much speed you can get but it could be done.
You would still need the DRAM the algorithm requires, which is unlikely to even be addressable on a MCU.

Where as with the antminers you have a whole OS to work with. Who says you have to use cgminer, a replacement custom software could be placed on the miner instead. Basically you would turn another miner into a emulator of other miners.

Custom replacement software won't make a difference, because all the mining software is doing is sending jobs to the ASIC boards and receiving valid nonces back.

Currently I am mining bitcoin and equihash from a the same Z9. By merging different parts of each OS/Firmware I have 1 hashboard from a V9 running with 3 hashboards of the Z9. I just started this last night but so far it has been running fine. I have 2 different weg gui's to access and monitor each type of board. I get 1.5-2.0 TH from the bitcoin board.

If it continues to work well I may release a version so people can make a few bits of bitcoin while they are mining equihash by just adding a V9 hashboard to the 4th plug on the main miner controller. I have 4 boards on another Z9 and it is pulling 74-80 k/sol @ 656 mhz

This is completely different from what you insinuated earlier, and would work perfectly fine, of course. The ASIC boards simply interface over serial ports, this much is universal to miners even from other vendors. There is a caveat preventing mixing and matching hashboards on Bitmain devices natively though, it would require new driver code for cgminer as Bitmain hardcodes most of their changes to be device-specific. If you run two copies of cgminer, as it sounds like you're doing, it should operate fine - although I don't know why you'd ever want to run a V9 hashboard unless you had free power. Even then, it's mighty slow.

LiliVart

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2018, 07:05:44 PM

Tell me please, is there a firmware on our z9 mini with a frequency setting for each hash board?
chipless (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2018, 08:32:29 PM

Tell me please, is there a firmware on our z9 mini with a frequency setting for each hash board?

Sure there is it has a dev-fee or you need to buy a license if you search the site you can find it

Kunolyb

Activity: 14

View Profile
November 29, 2018, 10:52:20 AM

I am far from an expert on these units and hopefully we can all learn as we move on.

I am looking into trying to port the V9 hashboards to work on z9 machines.....But that is a project that will take some time that is even if it is possible. So I may steer away from this project. If it is possible to do what I want a V9 should produce as much as 3 z9's if it is possible.

So! I tried the firmware on one Z9 mini again from stock firmware, and it installe´s fine, but logs you out right away... now i have to do the V9 reset... somethings wrong.
chipless (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2018, 11:05:44 AM

So! I tried the firmware on one Z9 mini again from stock firmware, and it installe´s fine, but logs you out right away... now i have to do the V9 reset... somethings wrong.

Don't understand what a few of you are doing wrong to get locked out. Did you ckeck to save settings when you upgrade or is the box unchecked. What batch mini? what version of posted fw with refresh or without?

I and others don't understand the issue because not a single piece of code was changed from the factory file except cgminer and it has absolutely nothing to do with you logging in or getting locked out. So if there is an issue it has to do with the factory firmware not the 4 byte mod made to cgminer. With that said press and hold the reset button in...You can find it to the right of the network cable you need a pin or paperclip to press it then hold it until the red and green light flashes. It should reboot now and be back to factory settings. It must be powered on to reset it. Also there is updated information on my first post how to get in without doing all that.

Kunolyb

View Profile
November 29, 2018, 12:00:34 PM

Don't understand what a few of you are doing wrong to get locked out. Did you ckeck to save settings when you upgrade or is the box unchecked. What batch mini? what version of posted fw with refresh or without?

I and others don't understand the issue because not a single piece of code was changed from the factory file except cgminer and it has absolutely nothing to do with you logging in or getting locked out. So if there is an issue it has to do with the factory firmware not the 4 byte mod made to cgminer. With that said press and hold the reset button in...You can find it to the right of the network cable you need a pin or paperclip to press it then hold it until the red and green light flashes. It should reboot now and be back to factory settings. It must be powered on to reset it. Also there is updated information on my first post how to get in without doing all that.

Well , i am upgrading like it´s suppose to be done that´s for sure. never mind, just wanted you to know... have a nice day.
chipless (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2018, 07:46:24 PM

Well , i am upgrading like it´s suppose to be done that´s for sure. never mind, just wanted you to know... have a nice day.

You never answered my questions about what batch and what versions or whether you checked save settings....

I am beginning to think there are some trolls around every time I ask for the details all I get is "I did a recovery".

I cant offer support if I don't know more information. These images have been tested over and over loading and the functions and not 1 time have I had any problems with being locked out. It is currently running on 46 minis right now without a problem.

Kunolyb

View Profile
November 30, 2018, 06:40:06 AM

You never answered my questions about what batch and what versions or whether you checked save settings....

I am beginning to think there are some trolls around every time I ask for the details all I get is "I did a recovery".

I cant offer support if I don't know more information. These images have been tested over and over loading and the functions and not 1 time have I had any problems with being locked out. It is currently running on 46 minis right now without a problem.

Hello and godmorgen. I can tell you for sure, i started with the fault the first time, and i was just asking a question on, if you ever seen this before nothing else, some other found a solution with a V9 reset that worked for me, somebody told me that it was something that i did wrong on all 5 asic´s, the next step for me was to install orig newest firmware and get it working again, next step was to see if it was me doing something wrong, so i downloaded the firmware from your link again on one asic and wen it was done it started up fine and stated hashing (Yes to keep setting) and working like it should. after 2 min of hashing i pressed F5 for refresh and the log on screen came up with no way to log in... it´s batch 2 and 3 - i´ve tried with keep settings and don´t keep settings, i follow procedure like i always do when i spend a lot of money on something. I AM NOT A TROLL, I DON´T WANT TO TROLL, it was info i just wanted to give to you, i´m sad i can´t use your firmware and i don´t want to use Jason´s firmware because i don´t like the fact that i´m not in control of my own hardware, so i´m back to batch 1 firmware witch is working like a charme and hashing around 15. Again, it was a kind ment infomation to you my friend. (again sorry for my english)

Have a nice day.

Kuno   
chipless (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2018, 07:41:35 AM

Hello and godmorgen. I can tell you for sure, i started with the fault the first time, and i was just asking a question on, if you ever seen this before nothing else, some other found a solution with a V9 reset that worked for me, somebody told me that it was something that i did wrong on all 5 asic´s, the next step for me was to install orig newest firmware and get it working again, next step was to see if it was me doing something wrong, so i downloaded the firmware from your link again on one asic and wen it was done it started up fine and stated hashing (Yes to keep setting) and working like it should. after 2 min of hashing i pressed F5 for refresh and the log on screen came up with no way to log in... it´s batch 2 and 3 - i´ve tried with keep settings and don´t keep settings, i follow procedure like i always do when i spend a lot of money on something. I AM NOT A TROLL, I DON´T WANT TO TROLL, it was info i just wanted to give to you, i´m sad i can´t use your firmware and i don´t want to use Jason´s firmware because i don´t like the fact that i´m not in control of my own hardware, so i´m back to batch 1 firmware witch is working like a charme and hashing around 15. Again, it was a kind ment infomation to you my friend. (again sorry for my english)

Have a nice day.

Kuno    

Thank you .. Now I have a little more info to work with to track the problem down. I have batch 1's and 4's here to try it on the batch 2 and 3'sI will have to swap from the warehouse and test them some more.I have tracked doe that it has something to do with the password file on some machines all of a sudden becoming corrupt. Origionally the problem was found on stock firmware and has something to do with the htdigest authentication as far as I can figure at this point. Something I didn't touch but am going to still look into.

When you could not get back into the web gui could you get into it using ssh with user root and pass admin.
zso far all my tests let me in that way still and I can change the password file and I am right back into the web gui.

Give me a couple of days and I will do a new image built off the latest fw release from bitmain. This release was a hybrid built off batch 1 and 3 firmware.

chipless (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 06:51:29 AM

Updated firmware images available.... updated base image to latest image from Bitmain. Unlocked for all batches including batch 4

The download links on my first post have been updated with the new download links

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: