Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:51:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Self-replicating autonomous agent  (Read 9204 times)
Charles Hope

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 01:37:33 AM

The original speculation on this forum discussing autonomous agents was one of my biggest inspirations for building my Oracle, Early Temple.

How would an agent be able to engage in trade with a human being, without the possibility of cheating? Suppose, for instance, the agent wants to purchase time in a cloud server to run a copy of itself.  Or the agent offers to pay a programmer for an upgrade.  How does the agent prevent getting ripped off, or how does a human prevent being cheated by a malware agent?

They need a trusted third party.  An Oracle, which can judge if the digital good was sold, or the work was completed, and release the funds.

The agent could create a contract using Early Temple's basic protocol, and commit funds using an m-of-n address. The agent would then send a partially signed payment transaction to the human, who would also be able to check the Early Temple contract page and verify the payment condition.  Once that condition is met, the human goes back to the Early Temple contract page and they get their payment transaction signed.

So this is up and running already, and you guys just need to write the agent!

(The agent doesn't even need to have enough intelligence to figure out that it needs a plug-in.  There could be a more general method where programmers are permitted to submit patches, and the network tests out these submitted patches on a small number of nodes, and it finds those nodes work better and earn more money, then the programmer receives their payment.)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
UberNifty

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

AltcoinWarrior.com

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2014, 10:41:45 PM

Thanks.  Those threads are definitely of interest.

Reading them made me realise that a really good application of this idea would be to build a distributed altcoin exchange.  Altcoin exchanges are essential because trading from BTC into an altcoin and back is almost like the zerocoin concept, so long as the exchanges are black boxes.  Imagine a distributed exchange that replicated itself with the profit!

The obvious weakness here is that people with physical access to the hardware can steal its wallet or manipulate the software, and it would be easy to trick an autonomous agent into purchasing a VPS from you for this purpose.

To take this even one step further, and into a viable "proof of concept" capability, I highly encourage you to check out Open-Transactions.org which is a 100% open source powerhouse perfecly suited to these very types of tasks.

Except that in Open-Transactions (OT), the personalities (or "characters", if you will) are called Nyms (shortened from 'pseudonym').

A Nym can either be human, AI, or smart-contract driven; able to start it's own virtual corporation, exercise trades (as contracted; in the case of a smart contract-powered Nym), run their own "in-house" peer-to-peer exchange, escrow... you name it. And this doesn't even begin to scratch OT's real capabilities (i.e. asset-backed digital basket currencies, etc.)

But alas I am not a coder / developer, and it would appear that a fairly savvy amount of knowledge is required to compile it for Linux; hence I must wait for a more universal (browser-based?) app to manefest; hopefully as an open source-based community Project.

Here's the OT mainpage:

http://opentransactions.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Here's an in-depth article I wrote, introducing OT's undeniable open source awesomeness:

http://open-transactions.github.io/introduction/2014/01/16/revolutionary/

"Remember, the blockchain is truth..."
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: