Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:09:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Doublespend Protection Insurance  (Read 3658 times)
Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 09:06:15 PM

Maybe that's because they are _much_ harder to pull off?

Besides, if any such "agency" would really want to bring down Bitcoin, they could do so much more easily by influencing legislation, attacking the exchanges, spreading more FUD,...

I find it funny to assume that anyone with the power to quickly build a 30.000 GPU cluster just for the purpose of messing with Bitcoin, doesn't have any better, cheaper and slightly more subtle means of severely harming Bitcoin.

They aren't _much_ harder to pull off with pools being the way they are. Double spends aren't exactly easy as cake to pull off, and they will generally only affect a small number of people. Making an insurance company to reduce the threat is laughable. Merchants could merely add a small fee to their products to cover any potential loss.

Legislation is very expensive, probably more expensive than designing a big computer to compute SHA2 hashes. Not to mention there is no one-world government yet. Attacking the exchanges doesn't stop the network, especially if it's ubiquitous.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2011, 09:21:27 PM

A couple of months ago I have considered for a while to start something like the described BDPIC. In my opinion, it is only possible if you know the involved merchants very well. I did not want to have to whitelist merchants, so I decided not to attempt it.

The problem is this: Let's assume everyone can sign up for your BDPIC. If I'm an attacker, I set up a merchant account and can now pay myself through BDPIC any amount I want at a small fee. If there are limits in place, I just open multiple merchant accounts and bundle them.

With this setup, I can now attempt to double-spend until I succeed. The only conditions is, that the total amount of fees I have to pay is less than the payoff for a single successful double-spend. This will most likely be the case, unless you charge huge fees. Let's assume you charge 2% on all transactions (already on the expensive side, I would argue), then I as an attacker can try 50 times before it becomes unprofitable. I described one attack that can be performed here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/kmo2l/suggestion_bitcoin_confirmation_honeypot/c2lhbv1 . The attack described there can not be detected by monitoring the network and if you have 50 tries you need to have a little bit more than 2% of total hashing power to make it work.
Having 2% of the network would be in excess of 100 Ghash currently see http://bitcoin.sipa.be/).  That kind of hardware will set you back by at least $50,000 (if not closer to $100k).  If you're talking about relatively small value transactions, you will need to pull off a lot of double spends to make it worthwhile.  I think if you employed counter measures once a double spend is successfully executed, you could easily undermine the economics of such an attack.  For in person transactions, where instant confirmation is most needed, the economics of such an attack are already not viable.  For online transactions, counter measures could be as simple as resorting to full confirmations in the event of a successful double spend.

(btw, some on this thread have mentioned listening for conflicting transactions…but that's not actually how it would work…you would receive your transaction through the network and then you listen for additional nodes reporting that same transaction…what you want is a high percentage of nodes reporting your transaction…if they report your transaction, it means that they consider it to be valid (and would have discarded any conflicting transaction)…you'll want to place more weight on mining nodes if you can determine them since you'll want to see that there are miners working on putting your transaction into a block)

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 10:02:01 PM

Legislation is very expensive, probably more expensive than designing a big computer to compute SHA2 hashes. Not to mention there is no one-world government yet. Attacking the exchanges doesn't stop the network, especially if it's ubiquitous.
Influencing legislation doesn't have to be very expensive: incriminating someone with selling cp or terroristic equipment for Bitcoins will quickly get you the negative publicity needed to pave the way for passing a bill outlawing anonymous cryptocurrencies. With some connections to politics and media, this should not be too difficult.

You are right in that attacking the exchanges won't stop the network, but it could cripple Bitcoin nevertheless (price would plummet, hashrate and confidence would follow soon). It would be more or less the same scenario as if some major jurisdiction was to outlaw Bitcoin.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2011, 10:42:40 PM

Doublepspend insurance is not needed yet.  Either the item is too cheap and the attacker could get a larger reward by mining with his hardware, or the item is probably not going to be delivered before the doublespend is detected.

Maybe in the future someone will sell a database or software for BTC that is expensive, and deliver it too soon but I don't know of any serious attack possibility that would be financially worthwhile.

FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 03:59:35 AM

Doublepspend insurance is not needed yet.  Either the item is too cheap and the attacker could get a larger reward by mining with his hardware, or the item is probably not going to be delivered before the doublespend is detected.

Maybe in the future someone will sell a database or software for BTC that is expensive, and deliver it too soon but I don't know of any serious attack possibility that would be financially worthwhile.

Maybe. It's just nice right now to have a good response to the argument - "Oh Bitcoin could never be used for retail, the transaction would take too long, or the retailer would risk getting stung by doublespends." This as a problem that is solved in theory.

Membercoin - Layer 1 Coin used for the member.cash decentralized social network.
10% Interest On All Balances. Browser and Solo Mining. 100% Distributed to Users and Developers.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: