Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 02:55:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How much do you use AI assistants?  (Read 193 times)
Sherwood_Archer (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 3

View Profile
November 29, 2018, 07:22:44 PM

I don't have Alexa at home but it seems a lot of people now do. I have also read some news where there are already "smart cities" wherein data of the people living in there are actually being collected that are supposed to be used to make their homes "smarter" with the use of artificial intelligence.
Would you be willing to give basically information of just about everything you do in exchange for a "smarter" home?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509

View Profile
November 29, 2018, 09:04:29 PM

Not at all - these things are a privacy nightmare. They are literally recording everything they hear all the time and are constantly sending that data back to Google/Amazon/whoever for storage and analysis. People are so lazy these days will willingly give away all their privacy so they don't have to get up to turn off the lights.
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2018, 04:36:23 PM

No, I'm not using any of AI assistants like Alexa or Google Home. I'm not that concerned about my privacy, but I just don't see big benefits given by these assistants. I'm not that lazy to do these tasks myself. Is it so difficult to do these things in traditional way - let's say control TV with remote, set wake-up alarm, check calendar. And I'm already feeling strange when I'm talking to my phone voice assistant or TV remote. So, I prefer to do these tasks with my fingers. But I would like to buy few smart assistants - robot vacuum cleaner and robot lawn mover. These would save me a lot of time and would make my household jobs easier.

Ulyss

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2018, 06:46:41 PM

Still not using.
But the concept is developed and awaits implementation.
Blanca_Gregory

Activity: 72
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 06:15:24 AM

I have also read some news where there are already "smart cities" wherein data of the people living in there are actually being collected that are supposed to be used to make their homes "smarter" with the use of artificial intelligence.

Wait, this actually exist? And people are handing over their "data" freely just to have a "smarter home"? I mean, nothing against AI but we could have a secure, smart home even without losing our privacy, couldn't we?

Would you be willing to give basically information of just about everything you do in exchange for a "smarter" home?

No, I won't. I don't even use AI assistants, at least not yet. I like my privacy, thank you very much.
SneakyLady

Activity: 114
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 11:36:15 AM

Life's details are inevitably going to become automated, but I think it will only enhance our quality of life and happiness if we have a nice place to spend all of this extra free time.. A world which wasn't designed around consumerism but living human existences of spending time with friends and family and living out various adventures. VR will probably provide for a lot of this at a great price..

Right now I don't use them. They don't solve big enough problems and aren't worth the investment, right now anyways..
Iddaa

Activity: 2

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2018, 11:57:20 AM

Wait, this actually exist? And people are handing over their "data" freely just to have a "smarter home"? I mean, nothing against AI but we could have a secure, smart home even without losing our privacy, couldn't we?
You have a point here. Moreover, I've recently read that hackers are now using "smart" home appliances (smart toaster does sound absurd, but that's life nowadays) as bot nets. The "smarter" our homes get, the more vulnerable they'll be...
FilesFM_Announcements
Copper Member

Activity: 224
Merit: 14

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2018, 12:07:58 PM

Ive got a few smart hubs in my home.... Alexa, Apple Hub, and some other weird hub.. the privacy concern is worrying....its interesting that to delete the audio files you have to make a 'request'... I basically brought Alexa to control my TV experience, I'm sick of having to go between remotes, Apple TV, AMP, TV, Android player, Xbox, Wii etc..

By pairing Alexa and the Harmony hub remote.. you can basically shout at the tv 'turn down sound', 'watch Netflix', 'turn on xbox' etc..

files.fm library ✦ 
P2P File Catalog & Marketplace with AI and Blockchain Payments
WHITEPAPER ◉ ─────  Bounty ♦️  Bitcointalk ♦️  Telegram ♦️  Facebook ♦️  Medium ♦️  YouTube ♦️  Twitter ♦️  Reddit  ───── ◉ WHITELIST
MathiasCrow

Activity: 46

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 04:09:09 PM

I don`t use them at all. To be honest, I`m not concerned with privacy - I just take it as a fact that corporations already know pretty much everything about me, and very little could be really hidden.
The thing with AI assistants is that they`re oversimplifying the simplest things. I can manage my own house and devices without any help and I don`t see the point in using them.
CarTrick

Activity: 34

View Profile
December 04, 2018, 12:33:40 AM

I don’t know about you guys, but I’d rather have a smart home that is secure and efficient, rather than give that all up because of an unfounded paranoia about one’s privacy being lost. Well, you might lose more than just your privacy when you don’t embrace technology.
jossiel

Activity: 2968
Merit: 632

View Profile
December 04, 2018, 01:48:02 AM

I don't have it too and I don't intend to have it in the future.

It's like having your laptop connected to the web without putting tape tap on the web camera. I'm worried of my privacy and these gadgets are getting in and collects data from the people who purchased it.

Well, you might lose more than just your privacy when you don’t embrace technology.
That's not the point but everyone is free to adopt technology but having these AI assistants isn't the only tech that we are allowed to embrace.
FilesFM_Announcements
Copper Member

Activity: 224
Merit: 14

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2018, 12:51:09 PM

I think one of the issues which needs to be solved with AI assistants is its not just a dumb speaker; but some of the requests, it doesn't just phone home for the servers to respond to the question, rather if its a typical everyday command its stored locally in the machine.

That way its not constantly sending stuff to external servers..

files.fm library ✦ 
P2P File Catalog & Marketplace with AI and Blockchain Payments
WHITEPAPER ◉ ─────  Bounty ♦️  Bitcointalk ♦️  Telegram ♦️  Facebook ♦️  Medium ♦️  YouTube ♦️  Twitter ♦️  Reddit  ───── ◉ WHITELIST
jerome892

Activity: 39

View Profile
December 04, 2018, 12:54:50 PM

I think one of the issues which needs to be solved with AI assistants is its not just a dumb speaker; but some of the requests, it doesn't just phone home for the servers to respond to the question, rather if its a typical everyday command its stored locally in the machine.

That way its not constantly sending stuff to external servers..
I'm somewhere in between with this and quite unsure what to believe. It definitely makes sense that it's not sending all the information back for analysis as it only reacts only to certain phrases, but then again, if we believe so strongly that someone is in fact, spying on us through our laptop web cameras then home assistant AI would be just as useful if not more useful for gaining various information, no?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: