Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:19:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So much talk about 'cultural appropriation', nonesense or a real issue?  (Read 269 times)
acarli (OP)

Activity: 267
Merit: 77

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2018, 04:22:38 AM
Merited by Welsh (2), paxmao (2)

Lately, I've been noticing that our US society is becoming increasingly sensitive to "cultural appropriation". This entire issue hit my radar a few years ago when a saw a video of this stoner looking white guy with dreadlocks being assaulted by a black woman in a college setting. The woman was claiming that he stole their culture by wearing dreadlocks, and could not do that. The hippy guy tried to walk away and eventually did so.

The video of this can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsIVy3cspck

Here is the craziest example I've seen to date. The magazine Cosmo published an article saying that white girls cannot wear the Disney Cartoon "Moana" costume. Ben Shapiro pretty much addresses this and sums it up nicely here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg4oQ9AV8KY

Here's the interesting thing. I hardly ever use the terms "white" or "black" when describing people. Seems like the media that does promote racially sensitive does excessively. I find that interesting. I had to in the above paragraphs, just to make a point.

Was this even an issue 5 years ago, or am I just culturally behind. I most likely will end up one of those older guys who offend people without meaning to.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2018, 07:45:22 PM
Merited by Welsh (2), acarli (1)

There was also this girl who got attacked on twitfacetubes for wearing a Chinese dress to prom.

But the most ridiculous examples I've seen were about food. Unfortunately I can't find any right now but basically the idea is that it's inappropriate to make something that's not of the same origin as the chef. Fuck that nonsense.

Edit: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/portland-burrito-cart-closes-after-owners-are-accused-of-cultural-appropriation_us_5926ef7ee4b062f96a348181

To me this sounds backwards even by SJW standards. Isn't it stereotypical to assume that only Mexicans can make burritos?
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18510

View Profile
December 01, 2018, 11:27:56 AM
Merited by acarli (1)

A Scottish guy invented the telephone. If you aren't Scottish, throw away your phones - you are stealing their culture. Acetaminophen was first used by a German. No more of that allowed outside Germany. And we are going to have to seize and destroy every car in the world not owned by the French. From now on, you can only use what your culture invented, for fear of offending someone.
acarli (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2018, 02:50:04 AM
Merited by paxmao (1)

Good one guys.
Here's another one I found today. It's a college student in UCLA who dressed up in a Poncho, fake mustache, and a sombrero. A real Mexican stereotype. He went on campus and asked the non Mexican students if his Halloween costume was offensive. Most said "yes" that they were offended. The same person went and interviewed native Mexican's. None of them in the video were offended. They seemed to have a sense of humor and confidence in their culture.  Also, I imagine the context of the person wearing the costume is paramount. I would only say that wearing a costume of another culture would possibly be offensive if the persona was demoralizing or demeaning the culture itself.

Here's the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT2UH74ksJ4

From a sociological perspective, it is interesting to see this unfold.
waterman

Activity: 192
Merit: 119

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 04:57:21 AM

Good one guys.
Here's another one I found today. It's a college student in UCLA who dressed up in a Poncho, fake mustache, and a sombrero. A real Mexican stereotype. He went on campus and asked the non Mexican students if his Halloween costume was offensive. Most said "yes" that they were offended. The same person went and interviewed native Mexican's. None of them in the video were offended. They seemed to have a sense of humor and confidence in their culture.  Also, I imagine the context of the person wearing the costume is paramount. I would only say that wearing a costume of another culture would possibly be offensive if the persona was demoralizing or demeaning the culture itself.

Here's the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT2UH74ksJ4

From a sociological perspective, it is interesting to see this unfold.

It was funny and interesting at the same time, some people always are going to get offended and others are just going to be ok with that. But these days it seems that almost everything can hurt people's feelings and you probably can get sued xd unless you live in Canada. Canadians are the sweetest people on earth
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
December 05, 2018, 05:51:13 AM
Merited by paxmao (1)

There was also this girl who got attacked on twitfacetubes for wearing a Chinese dress to prom.

But the most ridiculous examples I've seen were about food. Unfortunately I can't find any right now but basically the idea is that it's inappropriate to make something that's not of the same origin as the chef. Fuck that nonsense.

Edit: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/portland-burrito-cart-closes-after-owners-are-accused-of-cultural-appropriation_us_5926ef7ee4b062f96a348181

To me this sounds backwards even by SJW standards. Isn't it stereotypical to assume that only Mexicans can make burritos?

Aren't these arguments always a power play?

In other words, they are never about the subject itself, but about one person attempting exerting power against another.

Many things that on the surface don't make sense, do make sense if you consider this dimensionality.
Pearls Before Swine

Activity: 1190
Merit: 306

View Profile
December 05, 2018, 05:28:32 PM
Merited by paxmao (1)

All of this is part of the wave of SJW nonsense that's hit college campuses and has started to infect social media and other parts of society.  I vividly recall a time when Levi's blue jeans were extremely popular in Russia.  I thought nothing of it then, and I think nothing of it now.

This "cultural appropriation" buzzword has only recently gained traction, but the whole concept is ludicrous.  Not only is there more mixing of cultures these days, but I would take it as a compliment if citizens of some country in Eastern Europe or Asia started adopting some Americanisms, whether it be clothing style or language or anything else.  I would not find such a thing offensive in the least.

People are starting to take this political correctness to absurd levels, and eventually the ship will right itself.  We cannot continue to live in a world where your level of outrage is a status symbol, i.e., he or she who is most offended is thereby the most righteous and recognized.  I do hope the world doesn't continue down this path, because it is not a world I would want to live in.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2018, 04:12:30 PM

All of this is part of the wave of SJW nonsense that's hit college campuses and has started to infect social media and other parts of society.  I vividly recall a time when Levi's blue jeans were extremely popular in Russia.  I thought nothing of it then, and I think nothing of it now.

This "cultural appropriation" buzzword has only recently gained traction....

I have to admit I talk offense at vegetarians having Culturally Appropriated the vegetarian practices of India. They should be ashamed.
paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1587

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
December 15, 2018, 09:40:25 PM

Cultural appropriation in nonsense. Cultures mix and merge all the time.
acarli (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2018, 10:37:13 PM

Aren't these arguments always a power play?

In other words, they are never about the subject itself, but about one person attempting exerting power against another.

Many things that on the surface don't make sense, do make sense if you consider this dimensionality.
Yes I agree, this is a political play continuing a narative that is becoming ever more popular. Who know's ,may be it will self correct. Pretty much every "pop culture" social justice of the 80's finally corrected. (Men crying, bad sports cars, Glamour rock, and most of all men crying as a normal thing).
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2018, 07:18:41 AM

But the most ridiculous examples I've seen were about food. Unfortunately I can't find any right now but basically the idea is that it's inappropriate to make something that's not of the same origin as the chef.

There is some merit in this. We have quite a few Chinese fish and chip shops in England, and I've yet to find a decent one. They are great cooks when it comes to traditional Chinese food, but they don't understand the simple concept of British fish and chips.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2018, 11:41:25 PM

But the most ridiculous examples I've seen were about food. Unfortunately I can't find any right now but basically the idea is that it's inappropriate to make something that's not of the same origin as the chef.

There is some merit in this. We have quite a few Chinese fish and chip shops in England, and I've yet to find a decent one. They are great cooks when it comes to traditional Chinese food, but they don't understand the simple concept of British fish and chips.

Fish and chips is indeed hard to find done right. I've had it in Sydney, but not found it done right in the USA.

But what about the problem of "cultural appropriation" being applied to Texas Barbecue?

If you are not aware, the basic indirect smoke method was developed by Native North American Indian tribes. Then the method of smoking baby-back ribs, was perfected by southern slaves, who were thrown the ribs, those being believed to be worthless.

Now everyone can agree that we can't have these great dishes culturally appropriated.

I propose thus that the technique of post modern historical revisionism be used to alter history, and solve this nightmare?

Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: