Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 10:48:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining rig won't boot up when risers connected  (Read 326 times)
illera88 (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2018, 04:39:05 AM

Hi,

I'm building a GPU mining rig with:
- asus h370 mining master mother board
- PSU corsair 1200w

the thing is that when I use the risers (I've already tried two different brands) to connect any GPU (I've tried with 3 different ones) to the mb it just doesn't boot up. It briefly boots (1 second) and then it just turns off.

I've tried with different GPUs, different risers (I read that risers fails a lot) but it still as soon as I connect the power supply to the riser it just don't boot. If I connect the GPU to the only PCIe slot it does boot and the GPU blinks.

I'm thinking it may be something in the BIOS but I don't know what settings to change.

Any idea?

Thanks for your help!
illera88 (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 05:51:10 PM

Any help here please
dagarair

Activity: 847
Merit: 383

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2018, 07:53:25 PM

you haven't said so but i will state the obvious.  Did you try just 1 riser?

4MW Data Center - I BUILT Tongue  - Full story below:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4789787.msg43227027#msg43227027
abhiseshakana
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 2256

From Zero to 2 times Self-Made Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2018, 01:44:59 AM

It looks like your display is not connected properly. Make sure the mining mode at bios advanced configuration has already enabled and under System agent configuration >> Graphics configuration set a primary display to CPU graphics and enabled the IGPU multi-monitor. Then connected the monitor display cable to HDMI/DVI-D ports on the motherboard.

.Duelbits.
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
TRY OUR
  NEW  UNIQUE
GAMES!
..DICE...
███████████████████████████████
███▀▀                     ▀▀███
███    ▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄    ███
███   ██████       ██████   ███
███   ▀████▀       ▀████▀   ███
███                         ███
███   ▄████▄       ▄████▄   ███
███   ██████       ██████   ███
███    ▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀▀    ███
███▄▄                     ▄▄███
.MINES.
████████████████████████▄▀▄████
██████████████▀▄▄▄▀█████▄▀▄████
████████████▀ █████▄▀████ █████
██████████      █████▄▀▀▄██████
███████▀          ▀████████████
█████▀              ▀██████████
█████                ██████████
████▌                ▐█████████
█████                ██████████
██████▄            ▄███████████
████████▄▄      ▄▄█████████████
.PLINKO.
█████████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀█████████
██████▀  ▄▄███ ███      ▀██████
█████  ▄▀▀                █████
████  ▀                    ████
████                       ████
█████                     █████
██████▄                 ▄██████
█████████▄▄▄       ▄▄▄█████████
10,000x
MULTIPLIER
NEARLY UP TO
.50%. REWARDS
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
illera88 (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2018, 02:22:07 AM

It looks like your display is not connected properly. Make sure the mining mode at bios advanced configuration has already enabled and under System agent configuration >> Graphics configuration set a primary display to CPU graphics and enabled the IGPU multi-monitor. Then connected the monitor display cable to HDMI/DVI-D ports on the motherboard.

I tried what you said setting those settings in the BIOS but same thing still happens. It just runs for half a second and the CPU fan stops spinning. I reset the BIOS settings and set the parameters you said (just in case I had modified something before that it's making it not to work) and same problem.

Is there anything else I can try?

It looks like a short circuit since it tries to boot up for half a second and then it stops. Or maybe is some BIOS config...
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
December 04, 2018, 03:32:20 AM

I tried what you said setting those settings in the BIOS but same thing still happens. It just runs for half a second and the CPU fan stops spinning. I reset the BIOS settings and set the parameters you said (just in case I had modified something before that it's making it not to work) and same problem.

It looks like a short circuit since it tries to boot up for half a second and then it stops. Or maybe is some BIOS config...

If I remember correctly  there is one who seeks help before about risers, it happens that all of the 6 risers in his possession are faulty

do you have any PC's available for testing? just to debunk or prove risers reliability
illera88 (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2018, 08:13:00 AM

If I remember correctly  there is one who seeks help before about risers, it happens that all of the 6 risers in his possession are faulty

do you have any PC's available for testing? just to debunk or prove risers reliability

Yes, I have one. I'll test tomorrow when I'm at home and post the results.
vmozara

Activity: 190
Merit: 59

View Profile
December 04, 2018, 08:26:01 AM

Try to plug 1 GPU direct to the motherboard. Does it boot up?
If yes, now connect same GPU using one riser. only one gpu and only one riser. Make sure riser is receiving power, not only usb cable Smiley
illera88 (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 08:30:13 AM

Hi there.

Sorry for the delay in my answer.

I just did some tests:
- If I connect the GPU directly to the PCIe slot it works and the computer boots up.
- I used the same GPU and riser in another computer and it does boot up fine.
- If I use the same GPU and same riser than in the line above it does not boot up.

So there must be either something wrong in the BIOS or that the motherboard is defective (I don't think so...)

Do you have any other ideas?

Thank you for your time

Set Ready Go

Activity: 273
Merit: 17

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 12:33:43 PM

Hi there.

I just did some tests:
- If I connect the GPU directly to the PCIe slot it works and the computer boots up.
- If I use the same GPU and same riser than in the line above it does not boot up.

So there must be either something wrong in the BIOS or that the motherboard is defective (I don't think so...)

Thank you for your time

The motherboard should work out of the box for a couple of gpus atleast...

What sort of risers are you using , powered or non powered? molex , sata or  6 pin?

Which 24 pin slot have you the psu connected to?

Like you say it sounds like short circuit.
Bad riser or bad usb cable, could be the sata/molex/6 pin you are trying to power the riser with aswell.

gt_addict

Activity: 2506
Merit: 622

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 02:19:32 PM

Have you enabled 4g decoding and switched the pcie gen to 2?

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
VasilyS

Activity: 618
Merit: 21

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2018, 03:26:02 PM

You have to use different lines from your PSU for each riser. It looks like you switch all risers on the same power line and it cannot work with such a load. Also, you have to check all your risers, especially if they have shortcuts, bad solderings and so on.

❱  CRYPTOPROFI  ❱
illera88 (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2018, 02:39:06 AM

Hi there.

I just did some tests:

Thank you for your time

The motherboard should work out of the box for a couple of gpus atleast...

What sort of risers are you using , powered or non powered? molex , sata or  6 pin?

Which 24 pin slot have you the psu connected to?

Like you say it sounds like short circuit.
Bad riser or bad usb cable, could be the sata/molex/6 pin you are trying to power the riser with aswell.

These are the two kind of risers I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076KLJR2Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0769VZ5Q2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

illera88 (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2018, 03:21:19 AM
Last edit: December 11, 2018, 03:45:15 AM by illera88

Have you enabled 4g decoding and switched the pcie gen to 2?

Yes I did both Sad And just updated the BIOS over network
illera88 (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2018, 03:44:43 AM

You have to use different lines from your PSU for each riser. It looks like you switch all risers on the same power line and it cannot work with such a load. Also, you have to check all your risers, especially if they have shortcuts, bad solderings and so on.

I am only using one riser with one GPU with a 1200 wats PSU. All the lines that come from the PSU go only to the GPU and riser
illera88 (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2018, 04:04:46 AM

I've done more tests and I have isolated the problem:

It short circuits just when I connect the power from the PSU to ANY of the risers (either to sata or molex). And when I say ANY I mean that I've tried all of them from the two different brands (a total of 12). if I use the same risers in another computer they work.

Do you think is the PSU? Its a brand new 1200w Corsair.

What is causing the short circuit?

Thank you guys!
VasilyS

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2018, 09:50:15 AM

It is very strange. Maybe you use cables designed not for this PSU and it is the reason for a shortcut. You have to measure the voltage at the ends of the cables from your PSU with and without risers. If your risers are good then the problem is in PSU or cables.

❱  CRYPTOPROFI  ❱
Set Ready Go

Activity: 273
Merit: 17

View Profile
December 13, 2018, 06:21:58 PM

I've done more tests and I have isolated the problem:

It short circuits just when I connect the power from the PSU to ANY of the risers (either to sata or molex). And when I say ANY I mean that I've tried all of them from the two different brands (a total of 12). if I use the same risers in another computer they work.

Do you think is the PSU? Its a brand new 1200w Corsair.

What is causing the short circuit?

Thank you guys!

Only thing i can think of is either the psu cable is defective or you got the setting for the multi  12v rail on instead of single 12v rail , in that case you could be overpowering one of the rails and hence the  inbuilt protection kicks in.

smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
December 13, 2018, 07:42:18 PM

I have personally never used this MOBO or even seen it in real life, but I looked up some pictures from Google. I can see that this motherboard has 3 different 24pin ATX connectors on it and 3 different 12V+ zones.

So one possibility is that you are connecting your PSU to one of the ATX connectors and then you connect the riser to the wrong zone(eg. power to zone 1, riser to zone 3).
little scheme.

Also, I can see that in this MOBO's BIOS there is special "Mining Mode" option. Have you tried it?

VasilyS

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2018, 09:05:30 PM

I have personally never used this MOBO or even seen it in real life, but I looked up some pictures from Google. I can see that this motherboard has 3 different 24pin ATX connectors on it and 3 different 12V+ zones.

So one possibility is that you are connecting your PSU to one of the ATX connectors and then you connect the riser to the wrong zone(eg. power to zone 1, riser to zone 3).
little scheme.

Also, I can see that in this MOBO's BIOS there is special "Mining Mode" option. Have you tried it?

I think you are right. There is special protection for voltage leakage from different PSUs. You have to choose appropriate connectors on the motherboard for risers and PSU.

❱  CRYPTOPROFI  ❱
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: