Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 09:28:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying new Pc Vs adding ssd to actual Pc .  (Read 210 times)
Hazaki (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 156

View Profile
December 02, 2018, 10:07:52 AM

Hello bitcointalkers,
I've recently encountred so many problems due to my pc being very slow to boot and launch applications that are very demanding (mainly development IDEs such as visual studio.. )I have a 3 yeas old asus x550jx that has a 4th generation i7 , 8Gb ddrl3 of ram , a gtx 950M and a 1TB HDD drive disk 5400RPM .
I was wondering will it be better to save money and go for an additional SSD disc that is known to be 3-4 times faster than my hdd ?? or just go for a new pc such as an asus rog/ lenovo y530/ Hp omen 15/ dell g7,  with an 8th gen proc,gtx 1050 and ssd (i do some light gaming , hence the gtx1050) .
Saving the money will be great but spending it won't be a problem especially that i use this pc for studying and realising projects(web applications development).
Thanks for your answers.
sodalime

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2018, 12:17:40 PM

If you haven't already, adding a SSD will be one of the biggest and best (in terms of value) improvement you can do for your computer.

Starting up your computer, and launching applications will benefit greatly from a SSD. The other potential bottleneck would be your CPU and RAM, but they are more than capable enough to handle your needs. RAM would probably be the next thing to upgrade if possible. But from what it sounds like, with a laptop, this might be quite difficult.

Worst comes to worst you can always put the SSD towards your new pc. Adding onto that, SSDs are already very cheap and prices are only dropping further.
Zayn_Nazy

Activity: 47

View Profile
December 02, 2018, 03:54:27 PM

very slow to boot and launch applications

This is a problem with HDD. I think your PC performance is good enough. If you don't need to upgrade other parts, just buy a new SSD. I replaced my HDD from 5400rpm to SSD and reboost now just takes 10 seconds instead of 1 minute.
raatnak

Activity: 185

View Profile
December 04, 2018, 12:32:36 PM

Buying SSD would be nice and will really make a difference. But if you would like to go with buying the whole PC, dont go for 1050. Right now there is RX 570 which is cheaper or costs the same and WAY better at the same time.
Hazaki (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2018, 05:57:53 PM

Buying SSD would be nice and will really make a difference. But if you would like to go with buying the whole PC, dont go for 1050. Right now there is RX 570 which is cheaper or costs the same and WAY better at the same time.
It's a laptop and rx cards are just for PCs as far as i know , right ?
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 2462

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2018, 06:06:52 PM

I've got a notebook with a 2Tb HDD. I'm going to replace it with an internal SSD, and buy a case for the HDD. Then I can plug the old drive into the machine for the extra storage.

However, probably the greatest performance upgrade is free. It is junking Windows, and installing Ubuntu Studio.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Hazaki (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2018, 06:25:31 PM

I've got a notebook with a 2Tb HDD. I'm going to replace it with an internal SSD, and buy a case for the HDD. Then I can plug the old drive into the machine for the extra storage.

However, probably the greatest performance upgrade is free. It is junking Windows, and installing Ubuntu Studio.
Yeah that's doable since you can insert the HDD in the CDs reader caddy , yet you should be aware that the reader you'll be plugging your HDD into is certainly much slower than the one it's currently on so you'll be going from a SATA III to a SATA II port or something similar and thus will have an even slower HDD in the future  ..
Browsing the net showed that the best thing to do is to buy an NVME M.2 ssd since it'll be much better than the regular 2.5 inch ssd and keep your hdd in it's place .
Edit : and let's just not go into the windows vs ubuntu discussion , because using windows is really against my will since i'll have problems when working on projects with teams that solely use windows and refuse to switch to ubuntu ..
raatnak

Activity: 185

View Profile
December 13, 2018, 03:14:42 PM

It's a laptop and rx cards are just for PCs as far as i know , right ?
No, there are some notebooks with RX cards.
Goldleader

Activity: 28
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 19, 2018, 05:40:21 AM

the easiest method is to get quotation for adding SSD vs new pc with SSD and decide wish will save you in long run
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2018, 01:56:15 PM

I think replacing the HDD with the SSD would give you a nice speed boost. If the new laptop is just a newer gen cpu/gpu, i don't think you would experience that much improvement. More ram could be important depending on your projects though.

If the new laptop has something else, such as larger screen or keyboard that would help you get your work done faster, then sure go ahead.

When going pure SSD make sure your OS doesn't have any virtual memory or atime (both windows and linux can disable those), hence the more ram consideration. With SSDs, you want to reduce writes to a minimum.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
cameron_EMI
Copper Member

Activity: 40
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 20, 2018, 03:08:57 AM

There is no one perfect solution to upgrading your PC. I have Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 that runs on 256 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM and i7 Intel and I have been using it for 3 years and it runs smoothly. The only problems I ran into were issues with its operating system, Windows. I had to refresh its OS a couple times and I even had to reinstall the fresh OS on it once.

Honestly, I would suggest you to upgrade your HDD to SSD and maybe install a reliable Linux distro on yours. Linux runs much smoother than Windows in some cases. Upgrading your RAM is a good move if you can be able to remove it manually. Some manufacturers soldered RAM on the motherboard, which I cannot upgrade mine at all.

Lintormi

Activity: 560
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 20, 2018, 10:49:28 AM

I think that in your case it would be better to add fast and high-quality ssd. I set myself a few and now the computer and programs run several times faster.
logitechwow

Activity: 238
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 20, 2018, 09:04:22 PM

The best thing is to take a new computer. This option is the most correct
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: