Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:15:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who reads the whitepaper of a crypto-project?  (Read 511 times)
johnvrijck (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 10:03:34 AM

Just curious if you guys read the whitepapers of the projects you want to invest in at some point?

I'm a fan (hence my site), but I always wonder what kind of research people do on coins before throwing money at it.

John
www.allcryptowhitepapers.com
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lighthouze

Activity: 196

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 10:10:16 AM

A lot of people in this space do take out quality time to read whitepapers to at least understanding what they're putting their money into. Unfortunately, this in itself doesn't imply it's a prerequisite for investing in a great project. This is because whitepapers are fast becoming nicely written fancy documents with no real intent of achieving

imusify.com  ❰  Award Winning Blockchain Music Platform  ❱  BACKED BY NEO
johnvrijck (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 10:57:34 AM

Yeah agreed, some whitepapers are poorly written and full of buzzwords which only confuse people. There's a trend going on that whitepapers are released after they've started development and have more of an idea which direction the project is going, which could make the whitepaper a better representation of what the project is really about.
Greed Dev

Activity: 490
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 11:03:54 AM

Just curious if you guys read the whitepapers of the projects you want to invest in at some point?

I'm a fan (hence my site), but I always wonder what kind of research people do on coins before throwing money at it.

John

I will take a quick look at the founder's ideas and how they sell their tokens. I always refuse to invest in ICO projects offering high bonus rates. I think this is a low valuation of the token and that will make it easier for the whales to manipulate the company in the future.

───────────────    IMO Ecosystem    ───────────────
Customer First, Innovation from Everyone, Fair & Transparent
TELEGRAM  ]              J O I N   U S              [   TWITTER   ]
Brawnsugar

Activity: 126
Merit: 5

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 11:32:48 AM

John

I will take a quick look at the founder's ideas and how they sell their tokens. I always refuse to invest in ICO projects offering high bonus rates. I think this is a low valuation of the token and that will make it easier for the whales to manipulate the company in the future.

Absolutely! This is usually embedded in the whitepaper and it takes reading it to find out. I equally take a pass on ICOs with humongous bonuses for private investors/VCs and no known lock-in periods for such bonuses.
ShadowBits

Activity: 994
Merit: 504

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 12:11:11 PM

John

I don't really have time to read all of those things inside a whitepaper. What is the since of reading it if the project will still turn into a scam later on?
johnvrijck (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 12:21:51 PM

John

I don't really have time to read all of those things inside a whitepaper. What is the since of reading it if the project will still turn into a scam later on?

Ofcourse reading a whitepaper is not a guarantee that the projects doesn't end up being a scam, but it could sure help to filter those kind of projects beforehand. I wrote a small article a while ago on recognizing those scams > https://blokt.com/security/how-crypto-whitepaper-research-can-help-you-to-avoid-scams.
johnvrijck (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 12:57:59 PM

John

Absolutely! This is usually embedded in the whitepaper and it takes reading it to find out. I equally take a pass on ICOs with humongous bonuses for private investors/VCs and no known lock-in periods for such bonuses.

yeah, token allocation is so important! Same as lock-up period for the team, you don't want to run the risk that the team can dump 25% extra tokens on the market after a year or so.
jrrsparkles

Activity: 2394
Merit: 253

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 01:33:09 PM

Whitepaper is the thing which describes briefly about that project so if someone doesn't ready to read that then they are just gambling with their money since the quality of the project can be obtained only after deep research about project with all the possible ways.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
Arthurian60

Activity: 234
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2018, 03:08:42 PM

Whitepaper is a written documents about the evolution of a project. How the project will be handle and things that will be Introduced in the foreseeable future. Most people who want to invest in a particular project always read the White paper to know the plans of the Developer before investing.
bravehearth0319

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 05:04:32 PM

John

Whitepaper is one of the tools to determine if the ico project is legit or not. With this we can see how the project will run and can tell us the

usages of their utility token too. We can also see who's the person behind the project either.
proTECH77

Activity: 1120
Merit: 30

Bisq Market Day - March 20th 2023

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 05:04:46 PM

So many investors never give yield to reading the whitepapers before making the investment, at the end run at lose. Whitepaper in any project is the guild line or the phase in which the said project will exhibit from it developmental stage to it completion. Before i invest on any project i do a thorough research on the whitepapers and the RoadMap before invest on the project, just to be sure its will lead to scam.

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄          bisq.network          ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
<<<<<<<<<<<Bisq Market Day - March 20th 2023 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀          DOWNLOAD    N O W           ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
liuqi

Activity: 1092
Merit: 257

LuckyB.it is Back!

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 05:23:09 PM

John

All the projects are describe our white paper because it is explain the potential of projects but some peoples are not highlight the security and future development so many projects are failed in the market. So I always ignore the website analysis so I just surfing the bitcointalk and read the OP post then check the direct growth is best option.

JACS|JUST ANOTHER
COMMUNICATIONS
STACK
██     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████     ██
████████████ █▄
████████████ ███▄
████████████ █████▄
████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
███████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
███████████ ██ ████████████
███████▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀██████████
████████▄   ▄▄▄▄  ▀████████
█████████   ████   ████████
█████████         ▀████████
█████████   ████    ███████
████████▀   ▀▀▀▀   ▄███████
███████▄▄▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄▄█████████
███████████ ██ ████████████
█████▄    ███████▀    ▄████
███████    █████▀    ██████
███████     ███▀     ██████
███████ █    █▀ █    ██████
███████ ██     ██    ██████
███████ ███   ███    ██████
█████▀   ▀██ ███▀    ▀█████
█████▀               ▀█████
████▌                 ▐████
████       ██▄▄        ████
████       ██████      ████
████       ██▀▀        ████
████▌                 ▐████
█████▄               ▄█████
btc_angela

Activity: 2590
Merit: 542

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 05:43:23 PM

So many investors never give yield to reading the whitepapers before making the investment, at the end run at lose. Whitepaper in any project is the guild line or the phase in which the said project will exhibit from it developmental stage to it completion. Before i invest on any project i do a thorough research on the whitepapers and the RoadMap before invest on the project, just to be sure its will lead to scam.

Yes, I would tend to agree that the "not to technical" investors won't even know what a Whitepaper is because they just invested because of the hype. And then they all bitching around when they've been scammed already. I'm not investor except for one coin that I carry today and so far it seems to be very good in my opinion. But to be fair, there are also investors reading white paper and doing their due diligence before investing.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 06:49:48 PM

I used to read whitepapers all the time when I used to invest into alts, and I can say that it’s actually quite easy to identify what whitepapers are made simply to impress investors and are chock-full of buzzwords and which ones are written with a true purpose and show that a coin or token has potential. It does take some time to read whitepapers and things about crypto in general, but you should be able to find which whitepapers are of good quality and which ones aren’t within the first page or two and discontinue reading accordingly if the whitepapers you’re reading isn’t worth reading.

A whitepaper can also greatly help you understand the basics of a cryptocurrency and its purpose if you have the reading ability and time to do so. If you or someone else don’t know a whole lot about a coin or token, reading the whitepaper of the crypto in question should help out.
youdacapt

Activity: 1806
Merit: 295

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2018, 07:22:12 PM

I often use it as a record for the depth of the project. but I only take a few important points, reading the whitepaper too often will make us accustomed because they look very similar to other projects through detailed paragraph arrangement. I am more interested in directly contacting the developer via telegram with various active questions to convince myself as potential investors / traders of their coins.
Oilacris

Activity: 3010
Merit: 613

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 07:54:06 PM

John

A must thing to be done by a certain investor which WP is already be the main thing should be read up because on this you would able to know on whats
the project is all about you would have the idea if it do have the potential or just an another copy-cat project around that wont really be worth to invest.
On the site you gave, it do shows basically the definition of WP.
nicolas1979

Activity: 826
Merit: 252

View Profile
December 04, 2018, 12:47:00 AM

John

I don't see or read white paper again because when project goes everything look's great for me. White paper is just explanation about project idea but as investor I need to know how they works to built trust and performance, the project must go first. Second opinion is I need to see how good they built communication with us because I believe many problems will comes up, as long they can give us solution in easy way that's enough.

██▄     ▄▄░
▀██▄ ▄██▀
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
████▀                   ▀████
████       ▄▄█████▄▄  ▀▄   ████
████      ▄██████████▄▀    ████
████      ████████▀▀       ████
████  ▄▀ ▄██▀▀▀   ▄██      ████
████   ▀▀     ▄▄███▀       ████
████▄                   ▄████
▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
SECONDLIVE
CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS
|    Twitter    |  Telegram  |   Medium   |  YouTube  |   Discord   |    TikTok    |    GitHub    |
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   S T A K E   L I T T L E   W I N   B I G   
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄███████▄▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
   ████████████████████▄
  ███████▀▀▀█████████████
 ██████▌     ▀████████████
███████▀ ▀▀▄▄██▀▀▀█████████
██████             ▀███████
██████▄             ███████
 ███████▄▄        ▄███████
  ███████████▄▄▄▄█████████
   ▀███████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀▀
   ██████████████████████
sambel90129

Activity: 82
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2018, 01:01:08 AM

Whitepaper is the thing which describes briefly about that project so if someone doesn't ready to read that then they are just gambling with their money since the quality of the project can be obtained only after deep research about project with all the possible ways.
This might be categorized as an advertisement that always offers goodness, indeed an advertisement does not all work according to what is promoted, but at least there is an effort to achieve that goal, without a good crypto promotion that will not be understood by some of the world community.
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
December 04, 2018, 01:46:22 AM

for the few coins i've invested in---definitely. you need to study the fundamentals before investing, and reading shitty whitepapers is one of the easiest ways to quickly pass on bad projects.

but when it comes to trading, i'm looking for bullish chart patterns + liquidity + hype. and really nothing else. for me, altcoins are mostly just for short term speculation.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: