Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 05:00:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What if? Satoshi Nakamoto's identity was public information  (Read 1141 times)
CristianOff

Activity: 421
Merit: 97

View Profile
December 20, 2018, 12:32:12 AM

Guys you are not updated.

Satoshi Nakamoto is supposed to be dead. Yes, dead.
He had different bitcoin mining plants that were stolen
by another of the co-founders.

Oh, and if we estimate his net worth using Bitcoin's
good old days $20k value, he was worth $19
billion. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RussaX

Activity: 80
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 20, 2018, 04:37:49 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto could be individual who had a great vision but I think that he probably didn't do it alone.
There is a good chance that Satoshi Nakamoto is anonymous name which kept real indentity hidden and in some sort of a way It is like a perfect fitting for the story. A great visionary person who made such a huge impact in monetary system. He did everything that had to be done and left which makes a perfect story on how Bitcoin and blockchain technology works completely transparent, decentralized without need of it's creator to continue it's adoption.

Wether Satoshi ever appears he would be bombarded by media, gov, banks or who knows what and it would just make his own life difficult without any benefit to himself or crypto community. Don't get me wrong, he would get a lot of love from true supporters and ton of business opportunitys but I think that he is settled with his life and just shared a great opensource technology with the world without ever trying to take profit of it.

Wherever he is I hope that he is happy how it progresses and that his vision will be world wide adopted.
MULTIK888

Activity: 123
Merit: 8

View Profile
December 22, 2018, 03:09:55 PM

What is the point of wasting time to find the answer to the question who is Satoshi Nakamoto? I very much doubt that the price of bitcoin will change greatly if the identity of the author opens to the world.
More importantly, when a person is discovered, it is likely that his life will become much more difficult both in terms of security and in terms of publicity.

You have not thought about the fact that it may be a person who just does not like the public. After all, as you know, he is tortured with all sorts of conferences, meetings, interviews and the like. Why all this? If he has money for the rest of his life - it is much better to spend it in a quiet atmosphere on the shore of the lake or the sea in his own house and not think about anything, so he just does not need it.
And all who now try to call themselves Satoshi Nakamoto simply attract attention and try to earn on this authority.
AverageGlabella (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1080

View Profile
January 18, 2019, 02:58:20 AM

What is the point of wasting time to find the answer to the question who is Satoshi Nakamoto? I very much doubt that the price of bitcoin will change greatly if the identity of the author opens to the world.
More importantly, when a person is discovered, it is likely that his life will become much more difficult both in terms of security and in terms of publicity.
I disagree. The identity of Satoshi being known would definitely mean a price shift in one of two directions at least for the short term. Depending on the history of Satoshi it could either shift dramatically down or up. A lot of people would be looking for dirt of Satoshi and the government would probably come up with something to put a bad image on Bitcoin. If you found out that Bill Gates was into black hat hacking methods you would seriously consider using his software. Everything is about reputation and PR and Bitcoin is no different other than it doesn't have a identity of who made it unlike other businesses/projects.
Pmalek
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 7124

View Profile
January 18, 2019, 10:32:02 AM

@AverageGlabella I dont think it will make a big impact. Bitcoin is already here, created by Satoshi or someone else, the technology works and serves its purpose. Whether it was created by a guy called Satoshi, Bill Gates or Kim Jong-un will not make much difference since it is a technological revolution.

MoonCrypt

Activity: 247
Merit: 16

Learn and Grow

View Profile
January 18, 2019, 02:57:37 PM

Satoshi is a genius for playing the anonymous card, it makes him still sleep safely at night Grin

Imagine what will have happened if his identity was publicly declared!

The government might have tried to frame him for some evil practices
they might have made is life miserable by publicly attacking his whole image by those who are vexed by the creation
been anonymous gave the network some god image

if he was not anonymous his image will be used for lots of ICOs scam. LoL

Satoshi made decentralization possible  Cool
bornforfreedom

Activity: 203
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 09:39:28 PM

I am starting to believe that Satoshi Nakamoto it is not a person it is a group of engineers and economist and brokers that came up with the idea of a digital currency and they need it a face for this

that's kind of what I have always thought too. my curiosity makes me think differently but in reality I imagine its more than just one person's doing
bitmedia

Activity: 291
Merit: 100

BitMedia.IO

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2019, 03:17:35 PM

In my mind, if Satoshi Nakamoto was identified, nobody would HODL and crypto has not been survived and develop as it is happening now. Even the price of cryptocurrencies is on the dip, the amount of Bitcoin transactions is strongly increasing. Cryptomarket is emerging right now...
And sometimes, I think that crypto and religion are similar in some cases - if Jesus Christ was publicly identified, nobody would believe in God. So seems that idea of Bitcoin came from there Roll Eyes
SaShiRaJaVu

Activity: 1694
Merit: 541

View Profile
February 01, 2019, 08:52:39 PM

Secondly the image of Bitcoin. What if Satoshi is criminal with very serious convictions? What if the government makes it seem that way? Would this not hurt the image of Bitcoin? Yes Bitcoin is completely independent from Satoshi but if he was involved in some serious crimes the news agencies around the world would lap this up and spin a story to negatively effect Bitcoin. Plus governments might actually have a legitimate reason for banning the cryptocurrency and imprisoning those that use it. Probably not and thats probably a over exaggeration. But its a possibly.
You do not need to be a criminal but if his real identity is know any government could frame a case against him and put them behind bars, we know some examples before, just see the case of Julian Assange, he started a revolution exposing the government and revealing the truth to everyone, look at his situation now, he is in asylum and there were many cases framed for him too to lock him up for good and make him silent.
Mr Airdrops

Activity: 57
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2019, 01:21:01 PM

People need these minds to live a lovely life. Nakamoto is just like Mendel, adison and other scientists. They gave us hope.
AverageGlabella (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1080

View Profile
March 03, 2019, 05:47:34 PM

You do not need to be a criminal but if his real identity is know any government could frame a case against him and put them behind bars, we know some examples before, just see the case of Julian Assange, he started a revolution exposing the government and revealing the truth to everyone, look at his situation now, he is in asylum and there were many cases framed for him too to lock him up for good and make him silent.

Well that too. Though I think its worth noting that Satoshi's identity at this point will likely have a negative effect on Bitcoin for at least the short term. Though Bitcoin is much more than what Satoshi is and he isn't in control or tied to it unfortunately for members of the public that don't use Bitcoin Satoshi will always be the forefather and be linked with it. I would like to keep his identity private for two reasons. 1. To prevent Satoshi from becoming a target 2. Protect his own privacy. It's not beneficial to Bitcoin in any way if he were to be revealed.

@AverageGlabella I dont think it will make a big impact. Bitcoin is already here, created by Satoshi or someone else, the technology works and serves its purpose. Whether it was created by a guy called Satoshi, Bill Gates or Kim Jong-un will not make much difference since it is a technological revolution.

As I explained above. It would have short term effects for the very least. I'm talking about a few months. For an extreme example; If Satoshi was a pedophile. Do you think that becoming public knowledge and how the Bitcoin community kind of worship and put Satoshi on pedestal would be good for the community of Bitcoin?
shield132

Activity: 2198
Merit: 853

View Profile
March 03, 2019, 07:09:21 PM

First of all lets start off with the obvious and that Satoshi's health and well being could be put in harms way if his identity was revealed. He's an enemy to the banks and to the government. Probably why he remained security conscious when creating Bitcoin. Bitcoin has the potential to topple the control of the government and provide a decentralized way of trading goods. Most of the time anonymously. Therefore I think that the government and banks would not take it lightly into knowing the identity of Satoshi and could lead to assassination attempts and all sorts. Though the damage is done they would likely just pin some shit on him and lock him up for life preventing him from working on any other projects that may or may not be doing. Satoshi holds a great amount of coins which would also expose him to harm from the public.
As you say and I agree you too, revealing his identity could put him in trouble because what he did was bad for government, his life could easily end up bad. Also what do Theymos and some other members know? I have one thing to think too: Since satoshi's identity would damage him, to leave open gates to reveal satoshi's identity could damage forum's staff. So to my mind Theymos would probably delete any kind of information that could link us to satoshi.
On another hand there is no doubt satoshi would return to this forum or crypto world but in a very different and innocent way. There is no doubt he knew how to protect his identity well. So from this reason, wonder if he was back to bitmixer? It was first mixer, yeah? So since he created bitcoin, would work on better ways of protecting anonymity because for himself and in general too, we know he owns bitcoin so he needs to find greatest ways to get them safely. Maybe he created mixer and wanted to test how well it could protect criminals getting caught.
Well, just my opinions... I believe he wouldn't stop by creating bitcoin.
Cryptotina

Activity: 602

View Profile
March 11, 2019, 09:55:30 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto could prove his identity by either:

1: He could use his PGP key or
2: He could move his bitcoin

But this guy wants to remain anonymous, and I think it's for good reason. At least, by maintaining anonymity, they/he will avoid adverse legal consequences, making their anonymity partially responsible for the currency's success alone)
Arian247

Activity: 560
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 11, 2019, 02:24:03 PM

Sometimes it's best to let the unknown be because knowing satoshi real identity might come with a whole lot of changes to the bitcoin world, but I agree to the fact that he should at least transfer his bitcoin to another wallet so he can shut these wannabe up for good
TimeBits

Activity: 224
Merit: 62

View Profile
May 12, 2019, 08:39:36 AM

I'm going to be looking to write some what if threads which I'm going to be using to write research papers along for my degree. I thought it might be a good idea to look at the fascination that some people have with the identity of Bitcoin's creator. As far as I know there has only been two people on this forum which had contact with Satoshi. Gavin Andersen and theymos. I don't know the exact involvement or contact theymos has but he definitely has access to some of Satoshi's hidden posts on this forum and the whole history of the account. From password changes to ips logged. Yeah its certain that Satoshi used Tor or something similar. But theymos definitely knows a little more than the average person. I think Satoshi was active for around 2 years until one day he decided to up and leave. Theymos have you done any research on Satoshi's account data yourself or do respect his privacy and haven't really looked into it?

I can understand the fascination of solving one of Bitcoin's biggest mysteries but anyone thats interested in exposing the identity of someone who clearly wants to staya anonymous has to consider the pros and cons. You would shortly come to the conclusion that revealing the identity of the mysterious creator of Bitcoin would probably be detrimental to either Satoshi or Bitcoin.

First of all lets start off with the obvious and that Satoshi's health and well being could be put in harms way if his identity was revealed. He's an enemy to the banks and to the government. Probably why he remained security conscious when creating Bitcoin. Bitcoin has the potential to topple the control of the government and provide a decentralized way of trading goods. Most of the time anonymously. Therefore I think that the government and banks would not take it lightly into knowing the identity of Satoshi and could lead to assassination attempts and all sorts. Though the damage is done they would likely just pin some shit on him and lock him up for life preventing him from working on any other projects that may or may not be doing. Satoshi holds a great amount of coins which would also expose him to harm from the public.

Secondly the image of Bitcoin. What if Satoshi is criminal with very serious convictions? What if the government makes it seem that way? Would this not hurt the image of Bitcoin? Yes Bitcoin is completely independent from Satoshi but if he was involved in some serious crimes the news agencies around the world would lap this up and spin a story to negatively effect Bitcoin. Plus governments might actually have a legitimate reason for banning the cryptocurrency and imprisoning those that use it. Probably not and thats probably a over exaggeration. But its a possibly.

Now I'm obviously against the idea of exposing Satoshi's identity to the public. But what are the pros of doing so? I can't really think of any except for the satisfaction of being the guy that exposed it. There is no benefit and no reason why a Bitcoiner would want to expose it. Journalists, government and news agencies would want too of course to spin a story of Bitcoin to put it in a bad light.

So does anyone have any benefits of finding out the identity of Satoshi? Because all I see is cons to it.

Knowing a good person did not get JFKED, We do not need a face or address just a sign with some coins moving or perhaps a forum post. I thought for the longest time they were dead, but I just got this gut feeling they are still alive, my gut feeling is never wrong.
xvids

Activity: 1176
Merit: 301

View Profile
May 18, 2019, 09:08:46 AM

Since the very beginning we are interested to know about Satoshi's identity. Does it really matters? IMO the legacy Satoshi left for us that only matters. Let's focus in Bitcoin (if we really understand and like decentralized technology and freedom), it's improvements and adoptions. Let's respect Satoshi's privacy by leaving it as it is.

So does anyone have any benefits of finding out the identity of Satoshi? Because all I see is cons to it.
Each full node is a Satoshi I guess. I am not a conman (at-least I believe) so my node is not a con as well.
I agree why don't we just respect what Satoshi wants ?
Satoshi wants to stay anonymous and proves that the Bitcoin keeps our personal information safe.
Satoshi creates it for financial freedom for anonymity and it is what Satoshi shows us,
Satoshi just proves that we couldn't track the user unless the user would leave some information.
TimeBits

Activity: 224
Merit: 62

View Profile
May 18, 2019, 09:15:46 PM

Satoshi was anonymous on this forum while posting before, He/She could still remain anonymous and lead bitcoin in the right direction!
cok_elat

Activity: 314

View Profile
May 24, 2019, 12:54:11 AM

If Satoshi wants to stay anonymous he should be allowed to do so. He gave us all these options and freedom with Bitcoin and the least we can do is allowing him the right to live his life in peace
that's right, I'm afraid if Satoshi's identity is known, bitcoin will get affect from global elites
iamsheikhadil

Activity: 1022
Merit: 133

View Profile
February 15, 2020, 06:45:20 PM

Well, not everything should be known by all, indeed it's kind of curiosity triggering when it comes to Satoshi in every one of us as we try to put our own logic behind his mysterious disappearence, but all we know is Satoshi did exist, he's real, it can be he/she/they but he did exist and that past can't be deleted from the history of the universe and surely he lives/lives on this humble small planet Earth so maybe we won't know him but he lives close. That satisfaction is enough.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4453

View Profile
February 23, 2020, 07:20:42 AM

out of box common sense here

satoshi nakamotos real identity (the person/human) actually is public information

just like the real identity of the human named on this forum franky1(me)
because the person has a birth certificate. pays bills. goes to the shops, eats and meets people.

what is not known is out of near 8billion people. which publicly available birth certified name is linked to the publicly available pseudonyms on this forum

(this post was made as sarcasm for the intention that the topic title seems to be a little middleschooler chosen topic.. not degree deserving topic title)
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: