Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:33:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Miner status - no ASIC readings  (Read 264 times)
MelonMiners (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 07:01:43 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2018, 10:18:15 AM by frodocooper

This is an error I am seeing quite often now. You will notice the chip status is not returned. Interestingly enough, the temp section that shows 15 is always the same. No idea why 15 is the magic number either. If I click to refresh the miner status, the uptime value doesn't change. It is basically stuck like this with no hashing until I restart it. Then it will work again for some amount of time before usually having the same error a few days later.

You will note the HW errors from the bottom section don't equal the ones in the pool section.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15XBD89kNZflGXeJJIzD-UlmeKG1Lk_ms/view?usp=sharing
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2965

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2018, 08:09:53 PM

I think you can fix this problem by flashing it to a new firmware. The program might be corrupted that's why it give you buggy result from your dashboard.

If you can paste your kernel logs here or in paste.com and put the link here we will try to check if the miner is a software related issue or hardware issue but first try to flash it with auto_freq firmware.

You can download the firmware from Bitmain here https://service.bitmain.com/support/download

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
fanatic26_

Activity: 294
Merit: 129

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 09:41:53 PM

Its showing you have zero fans from that screenshot which will cause all kinds of odd problems. Im not sure how you have an uptime over a few minutes with no fans reporting in
MelonMiners (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2018, 11:57:36 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2018, 10:20:15 AM by frodocooper

I upgraded the firmware on all the machines when I first set them up. See the details from the overview screen below.

Miner Type   Antminer S9
Hostname   antMiner5727
Model   GNU/Linux
Hardware Version   30.2.1.3
Kernel Version   Linux 3.14.0-xilinx-ge8a2f71-dirty #82 SMP PREEMPT Tue May 16 19:49:53 CST 2017
File System Version   Sun Nov 2 11:55:42 UTC 2018
Logic Version   LPM
BMminer Version   2.0.0
Uptime   13:47
Load Average   0.05, 0.12, 0.16

This is a recurrent problem on several of them (I have 52 miners going). Does that look like the right firmware info?

I will grab the log in the next one that goes down with the same problem. Thanks!

Its showing you have zero fans from that screenshot which will cause all kinds of odd problems. Im not sure how you have an uptime over a few minutes with no fans reporting in

It loses the fan speed response when it locks up. The uptime doesn't keep ticking past the point when it errors out, the ASIC individual chip readings don't come up, and the fans show no speed. Any of these are big red flags, but I have no reason to believe the fan speed just stopped reading and that is causing the rest of it, I think it is another symptom of whatever is going on here. Anything you can think of that would be causing it? In each of these cases, there are tons of HW in the pool section, but not necessarily on the bottom section where each board reports its errors.

Does anyone know of an S9 status page manual? The user guide isn't very thorough. I can't find anything on the HW section under pools.

If you can paste your kernel logs here or in paste.com and put the link here we will try to check if the miner is a software related issue or hardware issue...

Assuming that was the firmware you wanted to see, here is a REALLLLY long log that I hope helps shine some light on the issue. This is so strange!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eNrP9_NyB8gPdfHLrDxRWnDiEdd6Qwo8/view?usp=sharing
BitMaxz
Legendary

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2018, 11:36:56 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2018, 11:54:02 PM by frodocooper

Code:
do read temp on Chain[5]
Chain[5] Chip[62] TempTypeID=55 middle offset=32
Chain[5] Chip[62] local Temp=60
read failed on Chain[5] Chip[1] middle Temp old value:0
Special fix Chain[5] Chip[1] middle Temp = 15
Done read temp on Chain[5]
do read temp on Chain[6]
Done read temp on Chain[6]
do read temp on Chain[7]
Done read temp on Chain[7]
set FAN speed according to: temp_highest=0 temp_top1[PWM_T]=0 temp_top1[TEMP_POS_LOCAL]=0 temp_change=-62 fix_fan_steps=0
set full FAN speed...
FAN PWM: 100
read_temp_func Done!
CRC error counter=36578

This is a hardware issue only chain 5 has temp result but a weird result, both chain 6 and 7 no temp result and then after reading temp on fan
it shows lots of error "CRC error counter=36578".

If you have extra s9 try to replace PSU and 2 fans and cables then check it again.

Also, check this guide on how to troubleshoot the miner Possible problems and solutions for S7, S9 (fixed frequency) & L3+

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
MelonMiners (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2018, 10:43:53 PM
Last edit: December 07, 2018, 03:58:30 AM by frodocooper

BitMaxz, thank you for that guide!

Unfortunately I went through every image in the guide and in the comment section and I have yet to have someone with the same issues as mine. I don't see examples of people with HW under pool that doesn't add up to the HW section at the bottom as well. Is what I'm saying making sense? https://drive.google.com/file/d/12p2UpIrtz8zCF3v2tKlxsYFNJSdKIbku/view?usp=sharing

I have yet to see an explanation on what HW in the pool section even means :-(
tim-bc

Activity: 538
Merit: 175

View Profile
December 07, 2018, 06:11:19 PM

One of my friends mentioned that for some reason the LPM firmware was causing some miners to suddenly appear as if both fans are dead. You could always try running on the non-lpm firmware and see if that makes a difference.

Ignore scammers on Skype, Telegram, etc. I will only ever contact you via forum PMs. See profile for fingerprint.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2018, 08:21:03 PM
Last edit: December 07, 2018, 11:44:55 PM by frodocooper

I have yet to see an explanation on what HW in the pool section even means :-(

This is what I got below

HW = A total count of hardware errors while running. There will always be some and this number will keep going up.

Diffa = This is a percentage errors or lost shares based on the total.

So it means that HW is a hardware error but according to the image under the miner hashboard the hardware errors are all zero it's supposed to be the total amount of hardware error per hashboard and HW under the pools is the total amount of hardware error of all hasboard.

Check this image below as a reference.

If the HW(hardware error) under the hashboard is zero, the hashboard detector might be broken

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████