Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:53:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad vibe in Texas  (Read 5019 times)
andy10000

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 11:31:28 AM

Clearly nothing to do with the state of Texas, but I felt there was a tension that reflects the limbo state Bitcoin is in as everyone watches to see what the fuck the story is with Gox. More plot twists and cliff hangers than a Mexican soap opera, without ever getting close to a conclusion.

Gox has only posed questions for Bitcoin, about regulation, trust, security, liability, criminality, the BF, insider trading, Bitcoin's public reputation, adoption, government confiscations, law suits, coin traceability, anonymity, laundering... the list goes on and on, and on. But so far there hasn't been a single answer.

(apart from Andreas vaguely confirming that Coinbase is probably solvent, ish, but he's not liable if they aren't.)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Honeypot

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:12:49 PM

Anytime a liberal thin-skin gets called out on their bullshit = 'oppression', 'bigotry', get this: 'racism'.

Anytime they do whatever the fuck they want and fuck everyone else's better opinions: 'freedom', 'progress', 'educated'.

When they get fucked by the same shtick they are trying to pull on other people: 'WAAAAAAHHHHH LAWYER/COURT/COP IMMA BITCH SAVE ME'

Kids these days/
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 02:37:54 PM
Last edit: March 10, 2014, 03:48:51 PM by BitcoinBarrel

As a native New Yorker, I think Texas has always had a bad vibe. I've hated that place since it spewed forth that halfwit George W. Bush.

Austin is cool, though. We should save those people, they are not gunslinging caveman troglodytes like the rest of the South.

I mean, why would ANYONE need a gun right? It's not like these people exist in the world:

or these people:

Guns are only slightly more scary than a slingshot or knife. And maybe not even as scary as a drunk teenager behind the wheel of a car. The point is, there are crazy people out there that want to kill you and you have a God-given right to defend yourself.

And for people that are ignorant enough to think we can ban all guns... it is not difficult to make a gun or black powder or a cannon for that matter. It was done by hand in the 1800s and it is being done in caves in the middle east today.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

tocoolforschool

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:38:58 PM

where the gun pics at ??
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 09:15:52 PM

Bad Vibe? Where?

Bitcoin finds friendly territory at SXSW

Don't expect bitcoin's recent failures to be the end of crypto-currencies.

Tech executives and industry professionals at South by Southwest Interactive are steadfast in the belief that virtual currency is here to stay.

"There are two questions that are important to ask. One is, what is the future of crypto-currency? And it's very obvious to all of us that crypto-currency is inevitable," said Jared Cohen, director of Google Ideas at a panel at SXSWi on Friday.

"There's a danger in having it not be regulated in some form, but people will take it and debate that as this plays out," he said.

The other question? Whether other crypto-currencies will be modeled after bitcoin, or full an as-yet-unknown model.

"Is it going to be like the Napster of crypto-currencies? I think that we don't know. This is still a pretty new space," he said.

Bitcoin feels more volatile right now because people are still trying to wrap their heads around the fact that it's bits and not paper, said Nico Sell, the CEO of the messaging app Wickr. But that mentality won't last forever, she added.

"The spikes are amazing right now, but bitcoin is one many virtual currencies. These currencies are 100 percent the future, but we are in the beginning of figuring this all out, but crypto currency is stronger than paper, but we are early on in the process," Sell said. "I'm sure paper didn't work so well in the beginning either."

(Read more: Bitcoin pits the gold bugs vs the 'techno geeks')

It's too soon to whether Bitcoin will be the virtual currency that goes mainstream, she said. Other players are certain to challenge it.

"Bitcoin is definitely number one in the space, but it's such a volatile market that it's really about survival and who can survive this," Sell said.

"I think it's a wide open area that we are going to see tons of innovation over the next ten years. And it's hard to say right now who will shake out on top," she said.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/Latest-News-Wires/2014/0310/Bitcoin-finds-friendly-territory-at-SXSW

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 09:38:27 PM

As a native New Yorker, I think Texas has always had a bad vibe. I've hated that place since it spewed forth that halfwit George W. Bush.

Austin is cool, though. We should save those people, they are not gunslinging caveman troglodytes like the rest of the South.

Know thyself. -- Socrates

It is you who needs the saving.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:16:26 PM

Bush is from Connecticut.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:24:31 PM

Bush is from Connecticut.

Well, he spent his youth torturing small animals with his friends in Texas.  (So I've heard...I didn't see it first hand.)

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
curt.rowland

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 03:18:18 AM

It takes one to know one
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 03:20:36 AM

I was at the conference and I thought it was great.

Personally, I was experiencing a bit of physical discomfort - it was colder than I was expecting (March in Austin should be WARM!) and my allergies were knocking me on my ass (this I should have anticipated and prepared for).

Despite my sub-optimal state, I made some interesting contacts, caught up with some friendly and familiar faces, and left ready to throw myself into a dozen more new and exciting projects.

What kind of new and exciting projects, any details to share?

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 03:32:39 AM

Wow.  Such bigot.  Much hate.

dopecoindude
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

The Dude Of DopeCoin

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2014, 03:52:04 AM

Ah coastal liberals, you can always count on them for making the most racist statements anywhere, while simultaneously talking about how open minded they are and how evil it is stereotype groups of people.

Liberals just suck ass . George W. Bush was a smart cookie and they are just embarrassed by it.

It is here folks. DopeCoinGOLD . The #1 Crypto-Weed Coin.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:22:09 AM

https://soundcloud.com/mindtomatter/ltb-e91-coinlock-comics-and#t=0:45:00
BittBurger

Activity: 924

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:26:13 AM

US government is not afraid of bitcoin at all. They could crash this tiny market to sub-decimal levels on a whim.

Hm.   This doesn't reflect anything I understand about Bitcoin right now.   Can you clarify how they'd do this?  My understanding is that the computing power required to overtake and "crash" Bitcoin would cost hundreds of millions of dollars.  Therefore, no.  They can't "crash Bitcoin".   If you're referring to some other method, please describe what it is.  

Every other "alternative" currency that has come into existence in the USA has been shut down, fairly quickly.   They don't putz around for 5 years doing nothing.  They simply walked in, and put the guy in hand cuffs.  The only reason this one hasn't been shut down, is because they *cant* shut it down.  

Do you really think they'd waste time and money for hearings on how to regulate it, if they could just flip the switch on a whim?   Silly ...

The reason they're not afraid of it is because most of them don't grasp what it is just yet, and those who do, are arrogant enough that they are still dismissing its chance of success.

Period.

We are all waiting for the day that they realize the ramifications of Bitcoin, outside of this silly Money Laundering hyperfocus they've got going.   That is when the real sh*t is going to hit the fan.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:37:12 AM

US government is not afraid of bitcoin at all. They could crash this tiny market to sub-decimal levels on a whim.

Hm.   This doesn't reflect anything I understand about Bitcoin right now.   Can you clarify how they'd do this?  My understanding is that the computing power required to overtake and "crash" Bitcoin would cost hundreds of millions of dollars.  Therefore, no.  They can't "crash Bitcoin".   If you're referring to some other method, please describe what it is.  

Every other "alternative" currency that has come into existence in the USA has been shut down, fairly quickly.   They don't putz around for 5 years doing nothing.  They simply walked in, and put the guy in hand cuffs.  The only reason this one hasn't been shut down, is because they *cant* shut it down.  

Do you really think they'd waste time and money for hearings on how to regulate it, if they could just flip the switch on a whim?   Silly ...

The reason they're not afraid of it is because most of them don't grasp what it is just yet, and those who do, are arrogant enough that they are still dismissing its chance of success.

Period.

We are all waiting for the day that they realize the ramifications of Bitcoin, outside of this silly Money Laundering hyperfocus they've got going.   That is when the real sh*t is going to hit the fan.

-B-

I think he ment the price could be crashed (i.e Dumping all the Silk Road coins)
The price would quickly recover...

billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2014, 04:43:58 AM

Ah coastal liberals, you can always count on them for making the most racist statements anywhere, while simultaneously talking about how open minded they are and how evil it is stereotype groups of people.

Wait, so being a gunslinging caveman troglodyte is a bad thing? Should I get in a traffic jam or get mugged in Central Park to improve my lifestyle?

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
BittBurger

Activity: 924

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:39:48 PM

I think he ment the price could be crashed (i.e Dumping all the Silk Road coins)
The price would quickly recover...

Agreed, but he said "Govt isn't afraid of Bitcoin at all, they can crash it (to sub-decimal levels) anytime they want"

That sounded a lot more "final".

That's why I asked what other logic he may be using, because at best, thats a temporary "attack", and they'd still have reason to fear it after.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:52:54 PM

I opened this thread expecting to see all the usual stereotypes of Texans and southern people. I must say this thread didn't disappoint.  Grin

You might as well move this thread to the trash. It has become a dick measuring contest in between libertarians, conservatives, and liberals, and I don't see anything of substance coming of this.
Zisef

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 06:12:36 PM

So much wrong with this post. don't even get me started.
Jeezy911

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 06:17:11 PM

If you like Bitcoin and vote liberal, you are one dumb motherfucker.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: