Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:38:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CFO of Chinese tech giant Huawei arrested in Canada for extradition to the US  (Read 342 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Flying Hellfish (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1754

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
December 06, 2018, 03:28:24 PM

Yesterday the CFO and deputy chairwomen of Huawei (the planets largest network equipment maker) was arrested in Canada at the request of the US for extradition to the US.  "She is wanted by the United States for allegedly contravening U.S. trade sanctions against Iran."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-huawei-arrest-cfo-1.4934269

Canada should hold her hostage and have a bidding war.  See who wants here more the US or the Chinese?  Wink  Cool

I think we should turn her over to our comrades.  Cool

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mOgliE
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1251

View Profile
December 06, 2018, 03:36:07 PM

Canada is just USA little bitch.

They're nearly not a sovereign state concerning global international policies.

This arrestation isn't good for anyone and won't lead to anything but a rise of world tension. It won't change China policy, won't change Huawei line, won't change USA policies...
It doesn't change anything but gives another reason for the two powers to fight.

bluefirecorp_

Activity: 574
Merit: 152

View Profile
December 06, 2018, 05:26:41 PM

Just think if Julian Assange went to Canada...

Violating trade sanctions is criminal? I thought it was a civil penalty. I guess if they're middle-eastern rather than eastern European, that makes a world of different.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12974

View Profile
December 06, 2018, 08:45:07 PM

Agreed, Canada = America's hat. The fact that they're following the US's orders here isn't unexpected at all.

The whole "rule of law" myth will go right out of the window here, I'm sure. This arrest will be used exclusively as a bargaining chip, and whatever the outcome is, it will have nothing to do with her guilt or innocence.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Flying Hellfish (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2018, 09:42:10 PM

Agreed, Canada = America's hat. The fact that they're following the US's orders here isn't unexpected at all.

-Canada and the United States trade more than $2
billion in goods and services daily.

-U.S. exports to Canada exceeded total U.S. exports
to China, Japan, South Korea and Singapore
combined in 2014

-Canada exports more goods to the State of Michigan than it
does to the European Union

-The United States and Canada share a $1.4 trillion bilateral trade and
investment relationship.

https://photos.state.gov/libraries/canada/303578/pdfs/us-canada-economic-relations-factsheet.pdf

As a good old capitalist Country Canada has pretty good economic incentive to not piss off their largest customer.  Culturally we align with Americans for obvious geographic and lineage reasons.

It doesn't happen often that Canada does something against the US, it's a no brainer why we don't and in reality most of time we go along with the US cause we actually agree with them haha.  However it has happened before, most notably when Chretien didn't send troops to Iraq because there was no UN resolution.  I remember being pleasantly shocked by the move, I think it was one of the best decisions Chretien made while in office.

If there is enough evidence to indict her than Canada should have arrested her and extradition to the US should begin immediately after she has been given her due process in Canada.  Canada isn't the world court to adjudicate US China international trade sanctions cases.  If the US is indicting her through the legal process Canada doesn't have legal right to not arrest and extradite her, they would be breaking a bi-lateral agreement with a really close ally and customer.

Canada extradites people wanted from many countries they have bi-lateral agreements with not just the US. If the US is using her as a political tool that's on the US!
lrvjvt

Activity: 140
Merit: 17

Fast, Smart, Trustworthy

View Profile
December 07, 2018, 07:47:07 AM
Last edit: December 07, 2018, 08:02:18 AM by lrvjvt

I think this is a political conspiracy,let me tell you.

Meng Wanzhou is actually the daughter of Huawei President Ren zhengfei. She is currently the vice chairman and chief financial officer of Huawei. Mainly responsible for the financial operation and management of Huawei.

And on the same day she was arrested, members of the National Academy of Sciences (NAS), American Academy and Sciences (AAAS) , Foreign academicians of the Chinese Academy of Sciences Zhang shousheng jumped to commit suicide. On the day of Zhang shousheng suicide, his last meal with Meng Wanzhou. The US local police believes that it is suicide and has closed the case.

Zhang shousheng is closely related to Huawei, just last month, the venture capital company founded by Zhang Shousheng was accused by the US government to help China acquire the cutting-edge technology and related intellectual property rights of the United States.

Zhang mainly studies about chips. Zhang believes that under certain conditions, the electrons in the chip can behave like the cars on the highway, without interfering with each other. The latest research results are expected to solve the major bottlenecks that semiconductors are currently facing, making the information superhighway truly accessible to the bottom of the chip. Huawei is very interested in his research and has contacted him many times, hoping to get his help, which makes the United States feel very uneasy, then in the Special 301 report of the US government, Zhang shoushen was accused of selling American technology.

Just hours before the news that Meng’s arrest, the head of Canadian intelligence was reminding Canadians at a meeting to beware that certain “bad” countries would “steal” through cooperation with large companies and universities. Secrets of new technologies, such as artificial intelligence, quantum physics, and 5G communication networks. In recent years, the United States has been using an intelligence-sharing organization called the "Five_Eyes" to force Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand to block China's Huawei and prevent it from participating in the construction of 5G projects in these countries.

All of these are conspiracy of the United States. They are deeply disturbed by Huawei’s global expansion, and they arrested Huawei’s chief financial officer through little bitch Canada (in fact, this is also a threat to her father) and forcing scientists close to Huawei to "suicide" to stop Huawei's expansion.

All of these smells very stinky, and the means are so despicable that I once again made a very bad impression on the dark politics of the United States.

By the way, Zhang shoushen set up an investment company(Danhua Capital) and invested in many of projects related to blockchain/crypto.

FST Network   Fast, Smart, Trustworthy.   Bounty
Medium   Facebook   Twitter   Telegram
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2018, 02:35:53 PM

Lol. China has been stealing technology from the US systematically for ages. They recently also got exposed hiding back door chips in their hardware, though I believe that was another company. In the end though they all represent the state. Regardless I have no problems with the assumption they were involved in espionage or sanctions issues as it seems perfectly logical. I think the sanctions issue though is probably just cover for arresting her to get information and or leverage over espionage. China kidnaps people constantly. Not saying I think this is ok for either side but they don't have too much room to point fingers here after kidnapping an active INTERPOL president and just disappearing him.
Flying Hellfish (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2018, 03:34:05 PM

The US should be careful what they start. If they can trump up charges on Chinese "business" leaders than so can the Chinese...

Obviously Canada doesn't have a bi-lateral agreement with China and won't be arresting Americans for extradition to China but American businessmen/women travel to China and their allies a lot.

Given the Autocratic government in China I don't believe for 1 second there is any significant separation between Chinese companies and the state.  It would be prudent to view all Chinese companies as just a branch of their government.

I wouldn't be surprised to see retaliation from the Chinese by arresting an American businessman if this thing drags out too long for them...

This women and her family appear to be connected, this doesn't appear to be a helpful move for the trade war.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
December 07, 2018, 08:18:48 PM

Just think if Julian Assange went to Canada...

Violating trade sanctions is criminal? I thought it was a civil penalty. I guess if they're middle-eastern rather than eastern European, that makes a world of different.

I'm not sure how they're even legally enforceable on a non-US Citizen -- and in a foreign country -- but the US always likes to make their own rules. If Canada had any balls at all they should have just ignored it.

The sanctions have seemingly been blocked in Europe at least --

https://www.reuters.com/article/iran-nuclear-eu-response/eu-to-start-iran-sanctions-blocking-law-process-on-friday-idUSL5N1SO4W2

Lol. China has been stealing technology from the US systematically for ages. They recently also got exposed hiding back door chips in their hardware, though I believe that was another company. In the end though they all represent the state. Regardless I have no problems with the assumption they were involved in espionage or sanctions issues as it seems perfectly logical. I think the sanctions issue though is probably just cover for arresting her to get information and or leverage over espionage. China kidnaps people constantly. Not saying I think this is ok for either side but they don't have too much room to point fingers here after kidnapping an active INTERPOL president and just disappearing him.

America probably also does everything you've just accused China of.
darklus123

Activity: 1246
Merit: 588

View Profile
December 07, 2018, 11:24:54 PM

I personally doesn't like the current face of china who were actually being involved  in security breaches on any other countries.

However, US is probably worse than china when it comes to that issue plus they are also good in making conspiracy theory to always on their favor.

I am unsure if it was only labeled as "allegedly" then an arrest is really necessary? I am actually laughing cause if the US tell its puppets to suck their own balls which is what the canada is currently doing.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2018, 01:25:55 AM

America probably also does everything you've just accused China of.

So the USA is stealing technology from China? Yeah ok lol. I don't think the USA is without fault, but if you think the US is more of a threat than China you are quite a dope. China barely even pretends to have human rights, or rights at all for that matter.
Flying Hellfish (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2018, 02:01:40 AM

I am actually laughing cause if the US tell its puppets to suck their own balls which is what the canada is currently doing.

If you could suck your own balls you wouldn't need anyone to tell you to do it.
lrvjvt

Fast, Smart, Trustworthy

View Profile
December 08, 2018, 02:36:32 AM

So the USA is stealing technology from China? Yeah ok lol. I don't think the USA is without fault, but if you think the US is more of a threat than China you are quite a dope. China barely even pretends to have human rights, or rights at all for that matter.

Don't think it's a joke. It's true. Don't think the USA is clean. The United States has been trying to get information about China's hydrogen bomb manufacturing technology and face recognition technology.

I admit that China has been stealing Western technology and is more threatening than the United States, but the United States did something wrong with the arrest of Huawei executives. In any case, the United States should compete with China for technology (hacker war) rather than abuse judicial means, which seems very bad.

America should fight a war between men with China, not kidnap other people's daughters.

For Canada, I know they are hard to choose, but when two tigers fight, the wise man will only stand by and help none.

Flying Hellfish (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2018, 03:46:31 AM

In any case, the United States should compete with China for technology (hacker war) rather than abuse judicial means, which seems very bad.

So the US is only allowed to cheat the same way China cheats??  China is a worse threat but the US cheating is worse??

For Canada, I know they are hard to choose

I guarantee you it wasn't a hard choice.  An ally made a legal request, Canadian and US law enforcement work together every day to bring criminals to justice on both sides of the border.  The US and Canada share the longest undefended border on the planet have been allies and are economically dependent on each other for over a 100 years.  Canadians aren't fucking stupid, Americans are better friends than enemies!  China, meh we like our cheap junk as much as anyone but we like the trillions of USD more!
lrvjvt

Fast, Smart, Trustworthy

View Profile
December 08, 2018, 04:46:29 AM

In any case, the United States should compete with China for technology (hacker war) rather than abuse judicial means, which seems very bad.

So the US is only allowed to cheat the same way China cheats??  China is a worse threat but the US cheating is worse??

I don't support the Communist Party, and I also hope that China can follow the path of the United States, but this does not mean that everything the United States does is right. It is about the dignity of the law. If the United States thinks that Huawei is stealing American technology, Then there must be evidence (although I know that Huawei may be doing this), rather than randomly arresting a person without evidence. As far as I know, the United States/Canada does not disclose their "evidence". If they can come up with evidence and prove that it is a legitimate arrest, then I will support the US/Canada approach. There must be rules of the game for any game, you also recognize that you are a country ruled by law, isn't it?

I guarantee you it wasn't a hard choice.  An ally made a legal request, Canadian and US law enforcement work together every day to bring criminals to justice on both sides of the border.  The US and Canada share the longest undefended border on the planet have been allies and are economically dependent on each other for over a 100 years.  Canadians aren't fucking stupid, Americans are better friends than enemies!  China, meh we like our cheap junk as much as anyone but we like the trillions of USD more!
So, this is only because of the interests, not right or wrong? I don't deny that Huawei may be stealing technology, but everything needs to follow legal procedures. I just oppose the abuse of judicial power for political profit.

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2300

View Profile
December 08, 2018, 04:55:44 AM

The reason she was arrested is because the US wanted him arrested so they will almost certainly extradite her, Canidan court permitting.

It is very common for governments to arrest people wanted in other countries. The bigger part of the news is who she is.

Her company is very likely an extension of the Chinese government whose purpose is likely to spy on foreign governments and companies not located in China. It is probably a bad idea to use anything produced by her company if you don’t want the Chinese government knowing what you are up to.

There may be a scandal regarding the timing and if Trump knew of the arrest in advance due to the trade talks that were occurring immediately prior to her arrest. There is the potential that her arrest will escalate into it being prohibitively dangerous to do business in China, if the Chinese government starts arresting American executives on bogus charges (the charges referenced in the OP are likely NOT bogus).
darklus123

Activity: 1246
Merit: 588

View Profile
December 08, 2018, 05:03:15 AM

So the US is only allowed to cheat the same way China cheats??  China is a worse threat but the US cheating is worse??

US government cheats differently, China is the real cancer when it comes to hitting someones back. They have been bullying smaller countries that were a part of UN except japan

I think even if Canada might just forced to do so the decision is still favorable to them since it is written by their laws as a part of the united nation

If you could suck your own balls you wouldn't need anyone to tell you to do it.

But i couldn't i might need someone to do it

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2018, 03:14:27 PM

Don't think it's a joke. It's true. Don't think the USA is clean. The United States has been trying to get information about China's hydrogen bomb manufacturing technology and face recognition technology.

I admit that China has been stealing Western technology and is more threatening than the United States, but the United States did something wrong with the arrest of Huawei executives. In any case, the United States should compete with China for technology (hacker war) rather than abuse judicial means, which seems very bad.

America should fight a war between men with China, not kidnap other people's daughters.

For Canada, I know they are hard to choose, but when two tigers fight, the wise man will only stand by and help none.

That is called military intelligence, not espionage. They know how to make hydrogen bombs in the US for a while now lol. Huawei is nothing but an intelligence/spying arm of the Communist party. We all know the state controls industry in China, therefore Huawei is a defacto arm of the state. Also the person they grabbed is the child of a very high level Communist party official. I don't think this was a mistake. This is the US saying two can play at your game.

The US is doing this within the law, while China snatches up people and disappears them constantly on the flimsiest of pretexts. China is getting more and more aggressive, not just with the US but other smaller surrounding nations that can't defend against them. China is getting too big for its britches and needs to be checked.
Flying Hellfish (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2018, 04:17:52 PM

So, this is only because of the interests, not right or wrong?

No it's because it was done within the laws and bi-lateral agreements between countries who have been allies for more than a fucking century... Canada has agreements with their allies (for reasons I explained and are extremely obvious) and would be breaking those agreements by not arresting an alleged criminal wanted in the US.  She will be given her due process according to Canadian laws.  If you don't like the Canadian laws you are free to NOT fucking go there...  Its hardly a secret that Canada and the US are extremely close allies if you commit crimes against the USA, Canada is not the best place in the world to travel too...
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2018, 04:45:19 PM

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-12-07/canadian-prosecutors-warn-huawei-cfo-flight-risk-whose-bail-couldnt-be-high-enough

Good article with some detail on the charges.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: