Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 10:28:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Not all crypto apps in App stores are safe  (Read 513 times)
madnessteat
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 2014

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 03:08:14 PM

Great advice for beginners. I advise you to always download cryptocurrency wallets that are listed only on the official websites of the projects or on github. It should never let you down. If you do not know the official website of the token, you can watch it on coinmarketcap.com

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
Gargo

Activity: 585
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 03:33:59 PM

If we're talking about Android apps, then we can say, that probably none app is safe. Android has so many gaps in the system that every good hacker will have no problem getting into your mobile wallet.
Tell us more about what exactly you're talking. Or it's just whataboutism from Apple fan?

I'm not an Apple fan Cheesy Actually I don't like Apple! I'm using Android Wink I just don't use mobile wallets.
I am not technically strong enough to explain exactly what the Android gaps are, but I will give you examples of interesting articles about this:

https://cointelegraph.com/news/major-risk-for-mobile-android-wallet-users

This one is very old, but also interesting:

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/critical-vulnerability-found-in-android-wallets-1376273924/

I hope It will help.
jeremyscott

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 06:29:58 PM

you can never be too careful when it comes to these kind of apps. especially ones that involve your own money :/
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1335

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2018, 12:08:14 AM

I'm not an Apple fan Cheesy Actually I don't like Apple! I'm using Android Wink I just don't use mobile wallets.
I am not technically strong enough to explain exactly what the Android gaps are, but I will give you examples of interesting articles about this:

https://cointelegraph.com/news/major-risk-for-mobile-android-wallet-users

This one is very old, but also interesting:

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/critical-vulnerability-found-in-android-wallets-1376273924/

I hope It will help.
Thanks for the links to these articles. I'm not saying that Android is perfect system, as your links shows. But in my opinion, in mostly cases it's fault of phone users that they lost monry. They are just not careful enough - they download fake wallets, don't use antivirus, 2fa and etc. If you don't follow even basic security suggestions, you're unsafe, no matter which system you're using - Android, Windows or iOS. I found one article https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/01/24/hackers-targeting-apple-google-app-stores-with-malicious-crypto-apps.html and I'm actually surprised that some fake crypto apps were found on Apple App Store also.

Bitcoin_Arena (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1805

฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.

View Profile
February 12, 2019, 03:12:37 PM

After reading the article that was in the post which was made in the scam accusation board; Google Play Store Caught Hosting Fake Metamask Crypto Malware

I decided that maybe bumping this thread for visibility once more wouldn't help sensitize new some members who might not know anything about how fake apps have infiltrated the app stores.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Harlot

Activity: 1806
Merit: 671

View Profile
February 19, 2019, 11:34:29 AM

When it comes to downloadable apps may it be exchanges or wallet apps I always look for the announcements in their actual website itself. This way I know that they do have an official downloadable app in the app store, other than that I always prefer on clicking the redirect links being given by these websites so that it leads me right straight to their download page without the hassle for searching it on my own. I have this issue before where a newly launched wallet have several "official" apps in the app store, that got me curious and after some research work I found out that they still have no apps being develop as of the moment.
whotookmycrypto

Activity: 168
Merit: 214

WhoTookMyCrypto.com

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2019, 07:59:16 AM

Good stuff and when looking at reviews. Be very careful too.

Some scammers have included reviews in their logos. Don't fall for that. Example:

Credit: https://twitter.com/LukasStefanko/status/1092356795211935744

Bitcoin_Arena (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1805

฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.

View Profile
February 21, 2019, 02:00:32 AM

When it comes to downloadable apps may it be exchanges or wallet apps I always look for the announcements in their actual website itself. This way I know that they do have an official downloadable app in the app store, other than that I always prefer on clicking the redirect links being given by these websites so that it leads me right straight to their download page without the hassle for searching it on my own.
This is the exact thing to so I have been trying to put so much emphasis in it... Get to the official website, Get the download links from the official site, Do a direct download or get redirected to the app stores using the links from the official websites

Good stuff and when looking at reviews. Be very careful too.

Some scammers have included reviews in their logos. Don't fall for that. Example:

Credit: https://twitter.com/LukasStefanko/status/1092356795211935744
Thanks for bringing this attention. That's why it's very important to always read the reviews rather than just look at the star rating.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██