Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:57:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Genisis block and hidden messages  (Read 225 times)
Macadonian (OP)

Activity: 467
Merit: 578

View Profile
December 06, 2018, 10:46:50 PM
Merited by Welsh (6), AverageGlabella (5), admissions (1)

A genesis block is basically the first block of the Blockchain. Numero uno. Its the only block that doesn't have a block previous to it in the whole of the Blockchain. Whats interesting about the Genisis block is was originally counted as Block 1. However, its now counted as Block 0 in modern Bitcoin applications. If you own a node with the latest update then its likely known as Block 1.

The first 50 BTC block reward was sent to the address:1A1zP1eP5QGefi2DMPTfTL5SLmv7DivfNa. Unfortunatly for the owner of this address it could not be spent to a quirk in the Bitcoin code. Whether Satoshi did this on purpose is yet to be known and whether he owns the private key to this address is also unknown. However considering Satoshi likely tested his own project before anyone else he likely owns the private key to that address.

The interesting part about the genesis block is that another block didn't come until another 6 days after the first one was mined. This is not the case for modern day blocks and those that came after that second one. In modern blocks the time between blocks

What is also quite interesting about the Genisis block is that a hidden message was left which was only discovered several years after the genisis block was created. It is suspected that Satoshi himself left this message.

It read: "sknab roftuoliab dnoces fo knirb no rollecnahC 9002/naJ/30 semiT ehT”.

Complete gibberish right? Well someone eventually cracked it. However I have tried to do some research on who this was but I haven't yielded any results. The general consensus is that this message translated into:

“The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks”.

It took roughly 10 years for this to be unscrambled and made sense of with several experts said to be on the case. I'm unsure when the message was first discovered and when work commenced. As you can imagine this took a very long time but probably didn't take as long as 10 years. It probably went unnoticed for a few years.

What does this mean? Well The times is a newspaper for anyone that does not know and the title of the newspaper on the 3rd of January 2009 was "Chancellor on brink of second  bailout for banks"

Now was this something Satoshi knew about and was waiting for the day that the news broke out or was this merely by luck that this was the title and he was going to include the title of the newspaper anyway? We don't actually know what was going through Satoshi's mind when releasing Bitcoin and whether the Genesis block was released at a strategic time. What we do know is the title of the times was in fact placed into Bitcoins history forever.

What most people believe is its a political statement by Satoshi and that Bitcoin is meant to combat the control of the central banks and give control back to the people. Bitcoin is in fact its own public ledger which allows users to toss away banks and become responsible for their own money. Bitcoin is trust less. Everything is open source and can be verified by anyone. You do not have to rely on a third party as with banks and fiat currencies.  Therefore its not completely ridiculous to assume that Satoshi meant to release the Genesis block when financial crisis was striking and he planned to include this in the Genesis block all along as a political statement.

If you are a regular buyer of the times and was buying it at the time then you should go and try and see if you can dig it up in your attic or wherever you collect your newspapers. Only 5 have ever been verified to be complete copies. You might have a piece of Bitcoin history in your possession and you didn't even know it. I would think these are worth a lot to the right people too.

Any input on the political statement issued by Satoshi?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
acarli

Activity: 267
Merit: 77

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2018, 02:15:50 AM

Interesting, I participated in the Block Collider ICO (Don't ask how that went). During the ICO process, we could add a message to the genesis block. I thought that was pretty cool. Luckily, I had the opportunity to be able to place a few messages. I gave each family member the assignment to immortalize a phrase on a genesis blockchain, which I thought was going to be the greatest thing of all time.

The result? My goofball kids and wife wrote funny lines about our family. I could probably dig them up. Crazy times.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
December 07, 2018, 05:51:57 AM
Merited by dbshck (3), paxmao (2), AverageGlabella (2), vapourminer (1), DireWolfM14 (1)

I remember this message being common knowledge when I first got into Bitcoin way back in 2011. The consensus back then was that it was proof that the genesis block was mined after a specific date, so that Satoshi couldn't have given himself an unfair advantage by getting a headstart mining. While he probably wanted to make a political statement at the same time, scandals involving banks make the headlines frequently enough that there's no reason to suspect Satoshi was expecting this specific event.
joniboini
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1789

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2018, 12:17:03 PM

It read: "sknab roftuoliab dnoces fo knirb no rollecnahC 9002/naJ/30 semiT ehT”.

Complete gibberish right? Well someone eventually cracked it. However I have tried to do some research on who this was but I haven't yielded any results. The general consensus is that this message translated into:

It took roughly 10 years for this to be unscrambled and made sense of with several experts said to be on the case. I'm unsure when the message was first discovered and when work commenced. As you can imagine this took a very long time but probably didn't take as long as 10 years. It probably went unnoticed for a few years.

Interesting, so for 10 years we don't know that we only have to read the code backward to find the message.
BitcoinCurve~

Activity: 80
Merit: 20

View Profile
December 10, 2018, 11:03:34 PM
Merited by AverageGlabella (2)

Interesting, so for 10 years we don't know that we only have to read the code backward to find the message.

I don't think it was a difficulty thing but rather the message existed. I'm not sure when the message was first discoered because the forum doesn't yield any results when I search for it. But I think a few people were talking about it back in 2013. I think the OP is wrong and the code was cracked at a earlier time than 10 years. Bitcoin was created in 2009 and therefore the date would have to be 2019 so I am 100% sure that the code wasn't discovered recently. I think it did take a few years for someone to notice though.
admissions

Activity: 107
Merit: 12

View Profile
December 10, 2018, 11:23:02 PM

Yeah OP your timing is all out the message was actually well discussed on the forum back a few years and it hasn't even been 10 years yet. I'm not sure if that's collecting the information from a bad source or if you've made a typo but its completely false.
AverageGlabella
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1080

View Profile
December 11, 2018, 07:16:14 PM

why did it take ten years to reverse a message? seriously i saw it at first glance can't believe it could've been that hard

Its been pointed out by a few members on the thread already that the OP made a mistake. As far as I know it only took 2 years top to find the message and it was pretty easy to decode because its just backwards.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: