Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:29:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What should I do?  (Read 857 times)
LankySwagBLog (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 08:35:39 PM

So I bought some BTC an then transferred them into my wallet, I'm still waiting for the withdrawal to finish though, my BTC client is running and it's on block 130k the coins are in 150k but now it says I have 0 connections?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 08:43:28 PM

Open 8333 port

Anonymous

Activity: 7

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 08:46:54 PM

Restart your client. Or download a pre-downloaded version of the blockchain.

gl
LankySwagBLog (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 08:47:40 PM

Walk me through it please
LankySwagBLog (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 08:50:32 PM

If I restart my client do te blocks go back down to 1
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 08:50:52 PM

Walk me through it please

Not really enough details.  Are you using the standard windows client?  What version?  Are you behind a firewall?  Do you use AT&T broadband?

Before port forwarding, try this...

Shut down your client in the normal way, give it about three minutes to completely shut down, and then restart it.  Do nothing to it for an hour.  If when you come back you still have 0 connections and your block number is still in the 130's, come back and ask again.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
LankySwagBLog (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 08:54:43 PM

Im on mac

And yes there's a firewall so I can connect through school

Now there's only 8 connections buts its going really slow
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 09:00:12 PM

Im on mac

And yes there's a firewall so I can connect through school

Now there's only 8 connections buts its going really slow

You are limited to 8 outbound connections without opening up of port 8333, so that's normal.  Slow is normal also, because of the work that the client is doing while bootstrapping the blockchain is significant.  The network speed is often not the primary limiting factor.  Since you are connecting through your school's firewall, your odds of getting them to open 8333 for you are almost zero, so if you start getting more than 8 connections then it's because your client has found another client running on the school's side of the network.  If you are at a large university, this is almost certain to occur eventually.  Just have patience, go down to the student center and let the thing run.  Playing games on the computer is just going to slow everything down that much more.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

LankySwagBLog (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 09:02:01 PM

Im at my house now

Walk me through this open thing
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 09:04:54 PM

You have to learn how your router work to open ports. Saying "i'm on mac" is totally useless in helping you do that. (but allow us to make some funny jokes)

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 09:05:16 PM

Im at my house now

Walk me through this open thing

You need to deterimine what is blocking incoming connections to port 8333.  Outbound connections are obviously not blocked, because you have 8 connections.  Most likely you have a broadband router that functions as a firewall, or settings in Mac OSX that block all non-standard ports over 1000 or so.  It's not a Bitcoin client issue.

LankySwagBLog (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 09:08:11 PM

Damn, it's weird because yesterday I had like 25 connections.

So how should I go about this

And what's those fee things?
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 09:13:05 PM

And what's those fee things?

What?

LankySwagBLog (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 09:21:56 PM

In options it says you can pay per kb or something for faster blocks.

What should I do
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 09:31:17 PM

In options it says you can pay per kb or something for faster blocks.

What should I do

Nothing.  That is the optional transaction fee, and has zero to do with downloading the blockchain or receiving funds.

LankySwagBLog (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 09:34:24 PM

Dammit, guess I just gotta ride it out and wait :/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: