Bitcoin Forum
September 01, 2024, 11:22:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wikipedia may accept Bitcoin  (Read 4046 times)
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1014

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2014, 10:59:40 PM

wow, so fast. they are real techies  Roll Eyes ...

so start it finally - its a no-brainer!

BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2366
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 11:02:42 AM

wow, so fast. they are real techies  Roll Eyes ...

I wish they dont start accepting Litecoin and Dogecoin at the same time.

Such Bad. Much WoW.

rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 11:11:20 AM

what a grt week it will turn out if they make it official..! Tongue but i'm skeptical they will do that anytime soon or ever..? but never say never.
btw Jimmy Wales got around 4 BTC most of them in donations Tongue I'm sure that guy don't need donations .

FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 12:41:50 PM

From the reddit page he seems to be worried with conversion rates to USD. I bet a quick word with their hosting providers or hardware providers would lead to the conclusion that they could just pass on the Bitcoin to pay those services without any USD intermediation.

Or maybe we have here an opportunity for people already offering these services for Bitcoin to have a word with Jimmy...

sanjoea

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 01:07:25 PM

If wikipedia accepts Bitcoin they can collect considerable amount of donations from various sources

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
mindblown

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:42:46 PM

Wikipedia is centralization of information. Information should be decentralized too.

The amount of idiots on this sub-forum is staggering.

ha ha ha   people they can not decentralize everything. it is impossible.
Calhil

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:01:09 PM

Once they do I will resume donating to them.  At this point there are enough worthwhile charitable organizations which DO accept Bitcoins and I have a finite amount of resources I can give away that there is no reason to not direct it towards those organizations which intelligently cut credit cards out of the process and improve the efficiency of their process by 2% or so.
That 2% is a lot. 2% of 100M is a lot.
Even with the fees the exchanges charge (0.5% at most i guess), its much better option than using credit cards.

BLC & SKC node: addnode=192.3.171.213
BLC: BcaLHiLk74XXSZdebHQY8b3CaoEBLaPtoV
ThirdRenaissance

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:02:47 PM

I hope they do it, it would greatly benefit Wikipedia and Bitcoin at the same time.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 03:03:30 PM

wow, so fast. they are real techies  Roll Eyes ...

Litecoin can be added in some months...but no scamcoins please  Roll Eyes

i heard he will donate all btc to Wikipedia:

1McNsCTN26zkBSHs9fsgUHHy8u5S1PY5q3

rohnearner

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 03:25:26 PM

So If they make it official and start accepting bitcoins donation ..! where do you think it will take bitcoin to I guess we will touch 1000$ mark on same week they do ..!but this is me just being Optimistic

BitCoinDream
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:07:36 PM

wow, so fast. they are real techies  Roll Eyes ...

Litecoin can be added in some months...but no scamcoins please  Roll Eyes

i heard he will donate all btc to Wikipedia:

1McNsCTN26zkBSHs9fsgUHHy8u5S1PY5q3
Where he mentioned that.? twitter .? or somewhere else.?

https://twitter.com/jimmy_wales/status/441634501265862657

BitCoinDream
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 03:59:00 PM

From this article in TechCrunch, it seems Jimmy is planning to accept Bitcoin by putting in address in diff Bitcoin groups, but not putting it on Wikipedia !!!

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/11/wikipedia-co-founder-jimmy-wales-accidentally-starts-a-bitcoin-donation-campaign-for-wikipedia/

In other words, you won’t find a Bitcoin button on the fundraising page. Instead, Wales is thinking about sharing a Bitcoin address on social networks and in various popular Bitcoin discussion groups, such as the Bitcoin subreddit. This way, people who know what Bitcoin is will be aware that you can donate to Wikipedia using Bitcoin, and those who don’t  won’t even know that the Wikimedia Foundation accepts Bitcoin.

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 04:15:35 PM

From this article in TechCrunch, it seems Jimmy is planning to accept Bitcoin by putting in address in diff Bitcoin groups, but not putting it on Wikipedia !!!

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/11/wikipedia-co-founder-jimmy-wales-accidentally-starts-a-bitcoin-donation-campaign-for-wikipedia/

In other words, you won’t find a Bitcoin button on the fundraising page. Instead, Wales is thinking about sharing a Bitcoin address on social networks and in various popular Bitcoin discussion groups, such as the Bitcoin subreddit. This way, people who know what Bitcoin is will be aware that you can donate to Wikipedia using Bitcoin, and those who don’t  won’t even know that the Wikimedia Foundation accepts Bitcoin.

So a silent acknowledgement its a strong step towards mainstream adoption even if its on the sides
That and the mainstream media most sources are still strong against it
A few neutral ones and a few positive ones emerging though

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
BitCoinDream
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 04:27:55 PM

So a silent acknowledgement its a strong step towards mainstream adoption even if its on the sides

But if he puts it only in Bitcoin groups, then it is NOT good for Bitcoin. We should not support it. We should not donate if he puts an address on our forum. We want it on the face of Wikipedia. 21 BTC in 3 days is enough of as a signal of generosity from Bitcoin community.

testcoin

Activity: 465
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 05:04:33 PM

But if he puts it only in Bitcoin groups, then it is NOT good for Bitcoin. We should not support it. We should not donate if he puts an address on our forum. We want it on the face of Wikipedia. 21 BTC in 3 days is enough of as a signal of generosity from Bitcoin community.

Yes, I also wonder why he doesn't put it officially on Wikipedia.

We all would like to see a clear "Accept Bitcoin" logo on Wikipedia, not only a silent btc address somewhere outside Wikipedia website.
cozk

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 05:58:31 PM

Who cares. If they don't want to openly accept FREE MONEY (via BTC) fuck them.
rohnearner

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 06:31:38 PM

Who cares. If they don't want to openly accept FREE MONEY (via BTC) .
So still now final words on this
WIKIPEDIA  wants donations , and I think they should add a btc donation button on their fundraiser page..! I mean why not he's saying he's ready to accept btc by sharing address on social network or other groups but not ready to use it on Wikipedia , because bitcoin is not main stream. look if wikileaks can accept  it so can you. If a foundation like Wikimedia is not ready to take some kind of initiative then who..?

mrdavis

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 07:39:57 PM

Wikipedia is centralization of information. Information should be decentralized too.

Trollololo

dumbololol you can't even explain how wikipedia is not centralized...

Well, for one, you are welcome to copy the entire contents and start your own wiki. A good portion of the infrustructure is ready for you to use too. Wikipedia is, in effect, a node which you can fork anytime. If the central authority (Wikimedia Foundation) fails the content can still exist.

Then there's the blatantly obvious way that defines the uniqueness of Wikipedia. Decentralized content creation and editing. Yes, there is still a central authority that regulates it, but you can fork and make your own editing rules if you wish.

These are obvious to most. They are not ideally implemented, optimized, or well distributed decentralization, but that technology, ready to take on the scope of wikipedia, is waiting to be invented. It's still a huge step away from the centralization of Encyclopedia Britannica.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 08:29:24 PM

we already donated over 21 BTC - wow!

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965