Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 06:29:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What percentage of bitcoin buyers at the higher prices are still holding?  (Read 279 times)
jerry0 (OP)

Activity: 1736
Merit: 186

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 03:00:55 AM

By that i mean last year when bitcoin went to 3k and up all the way to 19500.  I know lot of people bought btc at 5k or higher and of course many ppl bought it at 10k price or more.  And obviously many of us are not happy about this.  However, what percentage of these people would you say are still holding btc?  Because if you don't sell it... you did not lose.  Yes you could bought btc at 19500.  But if you still have not sold it, you haven't lost money yet.

I know that in trading, when one person wins, another loses.  So of all the people here who bought btc at the higher prices especially 10k plus price etc... would you say more or less than 50 percent already sold it?

Like lot of people post i bought btc at 10k, 13k, 15k, 18k, 19500 etc.  But would you say most are still holding? 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
steve57

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 03:17:31 AM

many of them would have taken what they got and sold as there was many saying that bitcoin is bubble many sold i think , but as this is trading we do get all types of traders , investors  who think that bitcoin as good future may be holding still as people who think like this are less , small percent of investors might be holding bitcoin 
jerry0 (OP)

Activity: 1736
Merit: 186

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 03:20:05 AM

So you are saying that more than half the people who bought btc at those higher prices probably sold it already?  Also the people that im talking about ... i dont mean like traders.  I mean people who heard about it and thought okay i want to buy it because people say it will go higher in price etc.  Or people that buy it and already have but they are not trading.  Those people, you think more than half sold it already?

Like i notice lot of threads talking about how i bought btc or altcoin at x price and down a huge percentage.  But aren't most of those people still holding?
Bitcoin_Arena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1786

฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 03:51:26 AM

When BTC started breaking making headlines last year even on mainstream media, so many new people streamed in and definitely bought. If you look at eh price history of bitcoin since 2013 https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcoin/historical-data/?start=20130428&end=20181209 you will realise that there was a sporadic price increase in the second half of last year mainly because of;
- Media attention( even my not so technical friends at-least had to ask me what bitcoin was and how they could buy it because they heard it from media)
- Speculation
which all in turn led to a higher demand for BTC

So definitely the drop in price implies that there has been a loss in interest for bitcoin from most "new buyers" who rushed in to buy in 2017 hence low demand compared to when the price was 19K.
I don't think most of them are still holding, being inexperienced in crypto trading some probably panic sold thinking that it's a bubble, Others who got sold it out for ICOs thinking that they would be the next bitcoin

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 04:44:27 AM

a lot of people are investing in bitcoin instead of day trading it. and that means for these people buying at a higher price like buying at $6k doesn't really matter. they had some fiat which they wanted to dump and they did that at the time.
this current price is the product of day traders and whales trying to make money in short term otherwise in the long run there won't be much of a difference between it and a little higher price that we had last month.

There is a FOMO brewing...
virendarnagpal

Activity: 672
Merit: 12

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 04:47:45 AM

I think it is not possible to collect the data over the issue.  If we ask people to provide said data I think very few people will be coming forward with required data.  Most of the people will just ignore it.
larrylegend33

Activity: 280
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 05:07:29 AM

Now there are too many people who bought the bitcoin very expensive price like $19.000 between $10.000. Some of then trade them to fiat money but some of them still fighting and hodling. I think in both way you have problem. The people who selled their bitcoin with a loss having big problems now. There are many people mortgaged their homes and now in danger to loose their house. Also many families getting divorce just about the bitcoin price.. I feel lucky that i haven't bought the BTC from high price and i wish luck who made this mistake..
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 05:19:45 AM

it is not possible to know these things so you are basically asking for a guess. I'd say all the people who were planning on selling in case of a price drop and also bought their coins above $10k have already sold their coins. at least 99% of them have done it already because of the FUD pressure that has been on them. specially since the $10k rise was a short time so only FOMO buyers bought in that range and then during fall from ATH very few new people bought in.

remember that losing money is not about selling or not selling. it is about when you sell, why you sell and what you do with the money after you sell.
someone can buy at $20k then sell at $15k to lose money but again buy back at $10k to make a good profit then sell at the recovery to $14k and then buy back at lower price to own a lot more bitcoin than before so that is a big profit even though at this moment it doesn't look like it because of the current price but in long run it will show itself. and not everyone is a trader to do things like this!

Only Bitcoin
jemarleon

Activity: 420
Merit: 13

Silence

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 05:20:51 AM

We cant tell how many of them are still holding but think if you are in their situation Im sure you will hold it because you will get a big loss is you sell it right now.
kamudd

Activity: 466
Merit: 100

Bcnex - The Ultimate Blockchain Trading Platform

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 09:01:24 AM

I think there are still many people who persist with their beliefs, but it seems that 50% + of them have sold their bitcoin with despair and loss.

talkbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1032

All I know is that I know nothing.

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 09:14:59 AM

what difference does it make?
there is a market and a chart and that is all you need to know and care about when it comes to price. and then there is the underlying technology which is making bitcoin and that is also all you need to know about the potential of bitcoin's future rise.

.L I V E C O I N . N E T.
..PROFITBOX..
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
█████████████▄  ▄████████████
    █████████████████████████
  ██████████▀    ▀█ ▀████████
████  █████▀  ▄▄  ▀█  ▀██████
  ████████▀  ▄██▄  ▀█   ▀████
    ██████   ▀██▀   ██   ████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
██  █████████▄  ▄████████████
  ███████████████████████████
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████████████████▀ ███
█████████████████████▀   ███
    █████████████▀     ████
  █████████████▀   ██    ████
████  █████▀     ██    ████
  ███████▀   ██    ██    ████
    █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████    ██    ██    ████
██  █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████████████████████████
tippytoes

Activity: 1988
Merit: 275

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 09:17:53 AM

there is a market and a chart and that is all you need to know and care about when it comes to price. and then there is the underlying technology which is making bitcoin and that is also all you need to know about the potential of bitcoin's future rise.

Totally agree. There's no use of knowing such stats. Also, you will get a headache if you will try to search those figures and give meaning to it. Don't make your life too complicated.
HODL2090

Activity: 210
Merit: 29

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 09:35:02 AM

a lot of people are investing in bitcoin instead of day trading it.

Trading requires a lot of skills; ability to read charts and make analysis from your research and attempt to predict the future price from a couple of hours to weeks. And it most times forces you to also engage in altcoins when looking for more options.

Investing just requires you understand the foundamentals, invest as much as you can afford to lose and hodl.
aoluain
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1256

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 09:35:53 AM

Totally agree. There's no use of knowing such stats. Also, you will get a headache if you will try to search those figures and give meaning to it. Don't make your life too complicated.

Ok while we dont NEED to know it is an interesting question by the op.
I would guess the percentage is skewed because on a personal level
my first bitcoin was bought at around $1000 so im still up at the
moment on that one but I have been buying at various stages on a small
Level since the price was around $5500, my last purchase was last week.

What im trying to say is that for me and im sure others im looking to the
future. Im topping up my holdings when i can.

There are others who have sold at a loss because of fear abd there are
others on the forum trying to persuade people to sell while the markets
are down.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
cizatext

Activity: 952
Merit: 41

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 10:12:06 AM

This year 2018 have been a very challenging year for bitcoin and the entire cryptocurrency, as the price of bitcoin have been on a constant fall. Before the end of 2017 the price of bitcoin was close to $20,000 before at the early start of this year we witness a strong fall in price of bitcoin and that has continue till this present time and during last year a lot bought bitcoin at different price and have sold a lot too but to say in totality the market have not been good this year but you can only lose when you sale below the price you bought it.
Sandus_Cryptolover

Activity: 482
Merit: 3

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 12:50:56 PM

It may not be that very easy to get the statistics of those who bought Bitcoin at 18000$ upwards as many wouldn't want to get identified. Also quite a good number of them would have sold it tanked to 6000$ then pushing up to 9000$ again.

[ M O B U ] The Investment Bank of the Future
The Security Token Protocol and Licensed Security Token Exchange
https://mobu.io/
BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 01:32:35 PM

a lot of people are investing in bitcoin instead of day trading it.

Trading requires a lot of skills; ability to read charts and make analysis from your research and attempt to predict the future price from a couple of hours to weeks. And it most times forces you to also engage in altcoins when looking for more options.

Investing just requires you understand the foundamentals, invest as much as you can afford to lose and hodl.

that is true but remember it is not all about skills. there are many skilled traders that don't want to trade because of the situation with exchanges. after all you have to trade on exchanges!
to put simply many don't trust them. specially those who have been around to witness or even experience some of the exchange scams in history of bitcoin which are now devastating since they lose large amounts of bitcoin to these scammers. so they prefer to now only buy bitcoin as an investment.

There is a FOMO brewing...
socksserver3

Activity: 392
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 04:48:19 PM

I am keeping my btc coins as well as my ether coins. I think it is the best way to earn money on the cost difference. To my mind, it is better to choose btc because its price will soon increase
geminiboy

Activity: 574
Merit: 100

https://ammut.network/

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 06:50:40 PM

By that i mean last year when bitcoin went to 3k and up all the way to 19500.  I know lot of people bought btc at 5k or higher and of course many ppl bought it at 10k price or more.  And obviously many of us are not happy about this.  However, what percentage of these people would you say are still holding btc?  Because if you don't sell it... you did not lose.  Yes you could bought btc at 19500.  But if you still have not sold it, you haven't lost money yet.

I know that in trading, when one person wins, another loses.  So of all the people here who bought btc at the higher prices especially 10k plus price etc... would you say more or less than 50 percent already sold it?

Like lot of people post i bought btc at 10k, 13k, 15k, 18k, 19500 etc.  But would you say most are still holding? 
I think they survive for 50% of the losses now, maintaining all assets will slow down to make a profit, I am willing to give up 50% for me to play back by getting a pretty cheap purchase price

figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 10:14:12 PM

it's hard to speculate about those who bought in late 2017 or early 2018---the $10k+ buyers. i suspect a lot of them were shaken out while we were trading in the $6000s-$8000s, but we can't know for sure just by looking at price and volume.

what we do know is this: the market has only been trading below the $6000 area for a few weeks. the rest of the year, it was trading much higher. so effectively, all the people who bought from early november 2017 through mid-november 2018 are in the red. everybody buying for the past several months is in the red.

i'd say there's a lot of these buyers left because we haven't seen a high volume capitulation and the price only crashed a few weeks ago.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: