Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:59:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Finding alternative way for my 50 rig mine site  (Read 1676 times)
4g0tt3n (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 11:47:03 PM

Hi, I've been running a bitcoin mine for around 6 month now with
50 5830.  Since the price for bitcoin just drop below $3, the cost to generate a bitcoin
is too hight and no longer profitable.  It is time to pull the plug and leave the party OR

I like the idea of bitcoin being an online currency and is time to find an alternative way.
you're probebly on the boat that's probebly why you're here. 

Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 03, 2011, 11:59:16 PM

What are your electrical costs? 
What is your efficiency (MH/W at the wall)?
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 12:04:54 AM

Don't sell mined bitcoin, rather spend them at CIB or Spendbitcoins! Rather than running them maybe buy some bitcoin at Tradehill or another exchange.

Consider using your rigs for distributed computing and advancing the state of science.
4g0tt3n (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 12:16:45 AM

Im actually starting a new project on cutting down the electricity cost
made a blog here

http://mycheapenergy.blogspot.com/2011/11/episode-2-gathering-source.html

well...  hopfully something works out nicely
4g0tt3n (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 12:18:44 AM

I remembered my last bill was like $1800 + CAD
didnt have time to break it down
pulled the plug on all of them since it falls below $5USD

It's all about solar power or FPGA now.

so people like us with lots of GPU power will start leaving
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 12:30:29 AM

Solar power?  You do realize how expensive solar power is?

As far as efficiency how can you make any informed decision on economics if you have no clue what power your rigs actually pull from the wall?

Hell you might be still profitable @ $2 or you might have been losing money @ $6.

Lastly 5830s.  Ouch not the most efficient cards.  Likely combined w/ cheapo low efficiency power supplies right?
4g0tt3n (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 01:39:21 AM

I have 50 card rig right now
FPGA will turn all my rig to a waste
solar panel is too expensive

Im doing a DIY solar stirling plant that generates free energy
I'll post some more stuff about the project here

http://mycheapenergy.blogspot.com/2011/11/episode-2-gathering-source.html
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 01:41:34 AM

If a $400 solar stirling plant could produce the same amount of power as $20K solar panels don't you think every company would be selling/installing stirling plants instead?
4g0tt3n (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 01:47:58 AM

@DeathAndTaxes

my rig was built when everything seems too good tobe true @ $20+
im one of the lucky guy that got everything paid off before the party was over

I pulled the plug already on them since it's no longer profitable
Im on a project doing this DIY solar stirling generator right now,
size is like 4ft X 4ft, cost was around $400
but I should be able to generate enough power to run my 50 rigs

if it doesnt, I'll just ebay all of the cards
but so far i manage to get 3 of my computer running with a small version of the rig which cost around $80
building the big one atm
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 01:49:30 AM

If a $400 solar stirling plant could produce the same amount of power as $20K solar panels don't you think every company would be selling/installing stirling plants instead?

Right?

I plan on implementing Stirling engines on my diesel powered Phoenix class submarine so that I can make trans-pacific crossings underwater.

http://www.ussubmarines.com/submarines/phoenix_1000.php3
4g0tt3n (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 01:54:05 AM

well.. i've invested into this thing already

the onlyway to find out is to try i guess...  seems tobe easy enough to set up
I'll try to get post some updates on the blog if i have any success
Anillos

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 01:56:09 AM

Hi, I've been running a bitcoin mine for around 6 month now with
50 5830.  Since the price for bitcoin just drop below $3, the cost to generate a bitcoin
is too hight and no longer profitable.  It is time to pull the plug and leave the party OR

I like the idea of bitcoin being an online currency and is time to find an alternative way.
you're probebly on the boat that's probebly why you're here. 

Maybe You can try to build a render farm for some 3D applications like Blender.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Render_farm
You can sell the processing power for bitcoins.

Another option is to sell all the stuff and recover some costs.

Aquí puedes conseguir pequeños ahorros sin mucho esfuerzo: http://www.bitvisitor.com/?ref=1PWNAGEZ3fSM8QevUavdd2iZ9F5jkp1QHZ
Consigue algo más viendo vídeos o haciendo pequeñas tareas en Bitcoinget.com: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178692.msg2509190#msg2509190
¿necesitas un dibujo vectorial, un esquema, un diagrama...? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=183268.0
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2011, 04:14:39 AM

You can also look at it this way: if it costs you $3.00 in energy to generate a bitcoin, you can always mine them now and sell them later when the price goes higher (unless you are pessimistic it never will). If two months from now, the price goes up to even $5, you be sad you didn't mine two months' worth of bitcoins to sell.
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 07:45:51 PM
Last edit: November 04, 2011, 08:01:37 PM by dree12

You can also look at it this way: if it costs you $3.00 in energy to generate a bitcoin, you can always mine them now and sell them later when the price goes higher (unless you are pessimistic it never will). If two months from now, the price goes up to even $5, you be sad you didn't mine two months' worth of bitcoins to sell.
This is a waste of money. It's better to buy them now, which has the further advantage of placing upward pressure on the price.
RandyFolds

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 07:50:41 PM

further advantage of placing upward pressure on th price.

Huh?? Why is this an advantage?
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 08:01:57 PM

further advantage of placing upward pressure on the price.

Sorry, that was a typo.
RandyFolds

View Profile
November 05, 2011, 12:25:45 AM

Sorry, that was a typo.

You are claiming that if your production costs just breaking even, you should just buy coins instead because it will place upward pressure on the price. If everyone did this, the network would cease to exist. Upward pressure isn't what we need, it's stability and security. One way to achieve this is with production cost parity. People shouldn't be making money for doing jack shit.
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2011, 01:04:47 AM

Sorry, that was a typo.

You are claiming that if your production costs just breaking even, you should just buy coins instead because it will place upward pressure on the price. If everyone did this, the network would cease to exist. Upward pressure isn't what we need, it's stability and security. One way to achieve this is with production cost parity. People shouldn't be making money for doing jack shit.
Mining the network isn't doing anyone a charity right now, because I doubt people who say they are "just breaking even" have considered the cost of maintaining the rigs and hardware depreciation. We're well below production cost now, and it's time to adjust to the new price and difficulty levels.
RandyFolds

View Profile
November 05, 2011, 03:18:53 AM

Sorry, that was a typo.

Mining the network isn't doing anyone a charity right now, because I doubt people who say they are "just breaking even" have considered the cost of maintaining the rigs and hardware depreciation. We're well below production cost now, and it's time to adjust to the new price and difficulty levels.

You doubt that people have cheaper electricity than you? That's just foolish.

I am still running at a profit, albeit a miniscule one. Remember that difficulty thing? People are generating ~33% more coin.
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2011, 03:32:02 AM

Sorry, that was a typo.

You doubt that people have cheaper electricity than you? That's just foolish.
I am still running at a profit, albeit a miniscule one. Remember that difficulty thing? People are generating ~33% more coin.
Your hardware is losing value every day. The time one expends on maintaining ones rigs is likely worth more than whatever slim profit one could make when taking hardware depreciation into account.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: