Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 10:19:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The future of bitcoin and independent money  (Read 990 times)
jhanson (OP)

Activity: 135
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 10, 2018, 10:11:52 PM
Last edit: December 10, 2018, 10:23:57 PM by jhanson

So we all know bitcoin has a fixed supply. The store of value is there. However when it comes to trading and everyday transactions, we all know we can't use bitcoin sustainably. I've been really exploring stablecoins lately and I'm not really into fiat coins. I think they go against crypto period.

Has anyone looked into Ampleforth (formerly Fragments)? Instead of having a store of wealth, they'r every much like bitcoin where they focus on store of value, BUT they also included the unit of account. Essentially they maintain a price target and uses a protocol to inflate/deflate "amples" proportionally to the market change. So you will always have the same value in your wallet, but the quantity of "amples" can change

Thoughts on this??
oioioi

Activity: 294
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 11, 2018, 02:07:38 PM

is the price equivalent to bitcoin? I don't know much about this yet, but to compete against bitcoin, it's a very difficult thing even though you don't like it, maybe it can replicate all the systems that bitcoin does, and get a good price from the system development

- CoinAnalyst - UNDERSTANDING CRYPTOCURRENCIES -
-  Maximize your trading profit with the CoinAnalyst A.I. Platform  -
awakpane

Activity: 1274
Merit: 12

View Profile
December 11, 2018, 02:20:10 PM

In my opinion. It's hard to compare between crypto currencies and independent money. but both are elements that cannot be separated at this time. because to get crypto currency, we must issue capital, namely independent currency.
trash321

Activity: 602
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2018, 02:21:27 PM

My thoughts are very simple, I am still beginning to understand that today very many banking sectors have already invested in cryptocurrency and are already very actively working to make money on us. Therefore, in any case, no one will destroy the product that brings money.
akeegan

Activity: 236
Merit: 4

View Profile
December 11, 2018, 05:15:11 PM

is the price equivalent to bitcoin? I don't know much about this yet, but to compete against bitcoin, it's a very difficult thing even though you don't like it, maybe it can replicate all the systems that bitcoin does, and get a good price from the system development

The price isn't equivalent to bitcoin but ampleforth serves as a unit of account and store of wealth. This is the analogy they have on their site (https://www.ampleforth.org/)

"// 1. The Bitcoin Model

Adam purchases 1 Bitcoin at $1, demand increases and he now has 1 Bitcoin worth $4000.

// 2. The Ampleforth Model

Betty purchases 1 Ample at $1, demand increases and she now has 4000 Amples each worth $1."
butka

Activity: 434
Merit: 246

View Profile
December 11, 2018, 06:25:34 PM

Betty purchases 1 Ample at $1, demand increases and she now has 4000 Amples each worth $1."

Can you help me understand this model. Is it like this:

each Ample holder receives a proportional share of their coins when demand increases?

If yes, what about the coins that are not allocated at that time (not in circulation)? Are they also inflated?

markalis

Activity: 467

View Profile
December 11, 2018, 06:27:12 PM

I am sure Bitcoin will have a mature future and will be widely adopted and recognized by everyone that bitcoin is a very unique and useful alternative currency for payment system assistance

Muhammad Muneeb

Activity: 644
Merit: 101

📱 CARTESI 📱 INFRASTRUCTURE FOR DAP

View Profile
December 11, 2018, 06:38:13 PM

ampleforth algo works just like the state bank of the country to controll the inflation but in ampleforth it is price that they want to keep stable.. this is what i understand of ampleforth if anyone here can tell how exactly anples works

xrpholder1982

Activity: 95

View Profile
December 11, 2018, 06:41:12 PM

With BTC failing as a peer to peer value network the most promising replacement is Elixxir, David Chaum's new project.  It manages to excel at security, speed, scalability and low cost while being environmentally friendly.  He has a novel consensus mechanism.  I'll be looking to invest hopefully before its tokenized and on public exchanges. 
Luke NY
Copper Member

Activity: 168
Merit: 0

EndChain - Complete Logistical Solution

View Profile
December 11, 2018, 07:35:47 PM
Last edit: December 11, 2018, 07:48:21 PM by Luke NY

In our time, it is difficult for me to consider bitcoin and cash as separate components. Now they interact with each other and contribute to the development of the crypt as an independent payment unit.

trade2winnn

View Profile
December 11, 2018, 07:39:08 PM

I believe in the bright future of bitcoin, because it is not cool, it is in fact that would not say Banks is replacing Fiat paper money, and the entire financial system begins to change markets, and there to transfer money, so bankers and major players are silent especially, and when everything goes there and they will lead the market, just say)
tycsols

Activity: 812
Merit: 10

BountyMarketCap

View Profile
December 11, 2018, 07:54:40 PM

Do not stress much bitcoin is solod and it will come back sooner or later, you talked about its scalability issues so do not forget that a solution called lightening network is already under testing phase that when implemented will resolve these issues.
Secondly you talked about another project called fragments that increase or decrease in quantity with fiat value, i think again this concept cannot be what we need in crypro world this concept supports fiat and is more like fiat alternative nothing else.

●   KEEP CALM & HODL   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  KCH  ❱❱❱❱❱❱ 
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  token  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
trash321

View Profile
December 12, 2018, 02:23:22 PM

I am sure Bitcoin will have a mature future and will be widely adopted and recognized by everyone that bitcoin is a very unique and useful alternative currency for payment system assistance
I always support such comments because I can confidently say that Bitcoin will really have serious value as soon as it really starts to be regulated and recognized in other countries.
Tulen1990

Activity: 222
Merit: 104

View Profile
December 12, 2018, 09:33:11 PM

Can you help me understand this model. Is it like this:

each Ample holder receives a proportional share of their coins when demand increases?

If yes, what about the coins that are not allocated at that time (not in circulation)? Are they also inflated?

I think the best way to go about Ampleforth is reading their whitepaper (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I-NmSnQ6E7wY1nyouuf-GuDdJWNCnJWl/view) and then going into their Telegram and asking the CEO. They're honestly pretty active on there.

Telegram: https://t.me/Ampleforth
Silberman
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1336

View Profile
December 12, 2018, 09:58:05 PM

So we all know bitcoin has a fixed supply. The store of value is there. However when it comes to trading and everyday transactions, we all know we can't use bitcoin sustainably. I've been really exploring stablecoins lately and I'm not really into fiat coins. I think they go against crypto period.

Has anyone looked into Ampleforth (formerly Fragments)? Instead of having a store of wealth, they'r every much like bitcoin where they focus on store of value, BUT they also included the unit of account. Essentially they maintain a price target and uses a protocol to inflate/deflate "amples" proportionally to the market change. So you will always have the same value in your wallet, but the quantity of "amples" can change

Thoughts on this??
So they basically want to create a coin that is a stable but that doesn't rely on fiat to obtain that stability, that is interesting but it is a concept that is going to fail, one of the most important characteristics of bitcoin is that no one can manipulate the amount of bitcoin that you have in your wallet, and it seems that coin goes against that so many people are not going to like it.
pentol86

Activity: 851
Merit: 254

Borderless for People, Frictionless for Banks

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2018, 10:34:02 PM

I see not only independent money that trying to compete Bitcoin. Now, so many ICO projects have a mission to rival Bitcoin, even Ethereum too.
However, all are still just plans, right? If Apleforth is really potential to compete Bitcoin, you need to provide more detailed and applicative reasons to explain it.
If we talk about potential, I think there are many other projects that have a vision and mission but are still limited to a roadmap and do not really compete Bitcoin in reality.

=====================================================
BILLCRYPT - CREATING HISTORY
=====================================================
Teraboy

Activity: 2282
Merit: 505

View Profile
December 12, 2018, 10:47:42 PM

With BTC failing as a peer to peer value network the most promising replacement is Elixxir, David Chaum's new project.  It manages to excel at security, speed, scalability and low cost while being environmentally friendly.  He has a novel consensus mechanism.  I'll be looking to invest hopefully before its tokenized and on public exchanges. 
Lol david chaum's crypto just another altcoin and no more. Just because you are XRP shills and then you are comparing bitcoin with elixxir. Even XRP can't replace bitcoin and does it make sense to create such a comparison?
TopT3ns

Activity: 2576
Merit: 572

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2018, 10:48:53 PM

Volatily is something that already planted in crypto, even since it is on first time no matter what purpose when create that coin/token, because when it is on market, price is depend on supply and demand. I think if make stable coin, it means it is only for internal transaction for community inside that coin.

trash321

View Profile
December 13, 2018, 02:54:23 PM

Volatily is something that already planted in crypto, even since it is on first time no matter what purpose when create that coin/token, because when it is on market, price is depend on supply and demand. I think if make stable coin, it means it is only for internal transaction for community inside that coin.
No, I do not agree with you. Volatility is a process that is born directly in the period when something new comes to the market, something that is really very unknown to people, which eventually becomes known only after the infusion of funds.
rmilly

Activity: 312

View Profile
December 13, 2018, 10:47:33 PM

Thoughts on this??
So they basically want to create a coin that is a stable but that doesn't rely on fiat to obtain that stability, that is interesting but it is a concept that is going to fail, one of the most important characteristics of bitcoin is that no one can manipulate the amount of bitcoin that you have in your wallet, and it seems that coin goes against that so many people are not going to like it.

How is it going to fail?? I think what they're trying to do is not compete with bitcoin, but provide an alternative currency for everyday use. Their whole concept is that you will have the same worth in your wallet (ie $100) but in terms of "amples" that number will change based on the market. They do that through their elastic supply protocol that inflates/deflates amples to match demand.

I recommend reading their wp - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I-NmSnQ6E7wY1nyouuf-GuDdJWNCnJWl/view
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: