Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:12:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt. Gox user details for sale  (Read 23914 times)
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 10:36:30 PM

I hereby confirm that the data the alleged seller nanashi___ tries to sell is not legit or from Gox.

Someone on IRC requested a sample and the data he received was a public available living address that one may link to his email account. Nothing more, nothing less, but certainly not the data he submitted during his registration at Gox nor during the verification. The contact stopped after doubts were raised.

My best guess: an imposter who tried to scam a few coins in the shadow of the real Gox hack.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
h1d

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 11:09:14 PM

Let's just hope so.
silvermario

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 11:24:19 PM

Like I said in another thread, the database dump of 500,000 verified customers who uploaded minimum 2 documents ( suppose the average size is 1MB ) would be of 1000 GB size, not 20 GB.
frito

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 12:34:34 AM

I came late to the MtGox party and fortunately did not lose a lot and my heartfelt feeling go out to those that did, This news is not good, so now my passport, my bank details and my home address is now in the hands of hackers and they are trying to sell that info. I'm fucking furious. Karpeles needs to pay for this big time. post the hackers email address, this need to go to Interpol.

It is not Karpeles fault that a criminal is trying to sell your data.  The perpetrators of crime are the criminals, and in this case MtGox & its customers are the victims.  In fact, if someone hadn't been defrauding them via the malleability exploit, we wouldn't be in this situation.

So, how about we start actually blaming this fiasco on the perpetrators rather than the victims.
It is illegal in most countries to keep such data. I bet Japan is no different. Hence it is very likely this is just one more criminal count for MtGox and the F.F. Karpeles.
bitcoinminer

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 01:06:36 AM

Anybody who sent their info including their passport to Mt. GOXXX got GOXXXed.  If they cared at all about their info they wouldn't have sent it to such a place.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.

-Warren Buffett
itsunderstood

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

American1973

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 02:23:11 AM

Like I said in another thread, the database dump of 500,000 verified customers who uploaded minimum 2 documents ( suppose the average size is 1MB ) would be of 1000 GB size, not 20 GB.

Did they really have 500k VERIFIED accounts?

Whoa.

Check out my prescient ATS thread from 2008: "Windows XP: End the Cyberwar, Open the Code Now!" http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread411978/pg1
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 02:51:52 PM

Did they really have 500k VERIFIED accounts?

Whoa.

Numbers from other threads on the leaked database suggests that 20K accounts were actively being traded on, so maybe 100k verified accounts tops.
Evil-Knievel
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1168

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 03:35:38 PM
Last edit: April 17, 2016, 10:47:20 PM by Evil-Knievel

This message was too old and has been purged
st4nl3y
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 03:40:52 PM

Shortly after I MtGox incident, I started getting a lot of phishing mails with fake "Bitstamp" and "BTC-e" messages. So obviously someone seems to have access to the very same email address I used on MtGox.

yea, me too.

this is the recent:

BTC-E
To Me

Today at 11:08 AM

Hello!
We inform you that you scan the downloaded document # 14327223 http://ge.tt/api/1/files/355v3rP1/0/blob?download can not be verified for the following reason:
-Specified in the certificate data in a language other than the language passport data
Please provide a new file to check.
Sincerely,

Representative Director
BTC-E Co., Ltd.
Shibuya-ku, Tokyo

^ LOL ^ I always thought btc-e is russian and not from tokyo Smiley

the reasonable thing to do would be to change all passwords, i bet some people used the mt.gox account password elsewhere, i am not one of them tho.
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2014, 04:03:40 PM

Shortly after I MtGox incident, I started getting a lot of phishing mails with fake "Bitstamp" and "BTC-e" messages. So obviously someone seems to have access to the very same email address I used on MtGox.

Do you have an account at Bitstamp?

Bitstamps mail database was stolen about two, three weeks ago - allegedly.

glendower

Activity: 17

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 04:12:57 PM

or are you delusional "it's not Karpeles fault" how old are you kid?

Older than you apparently. Others will judge whether wiser or not.

Look, the point is, its a bit like blaming a home owner when there house is left unlocked and subsequently burgled. Just because they made it easier through some inaction, at the end of the day it is the perpetrator of the crime who is the real villain.

Okay, so Karpeles is an idiot, but he didn't force people to give them their bitcoin / fiat.  But you're going after the wrong man.  Don't get hung up on vengeance against the gun dealer, go after the man that pulled the trigger.
T.Stuart

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 04:18:12 PM

Older than you apparently. Others will judge whether wiser or not.

Look, the point is, its a bit like blaming a home owner when there house is left unlocked and subsequently burgled. Just because they made it easier through some inaction, at the end of the day it is the perpetrator of the crime who is the real villain.

Okay, so Karpeles is an idiot, but he didn't force people to give them their bitcoin / fiat.  But you're going after the wrong man.  Don't get hung up on vengeance against the gun dealer, go after the man that pulled the trigger.

This is not the same as what he did. What he did is to allow people to use his service and deposit Bitcoin and fiat while knowing that he did not have all his customer's funds (despite publicly saying that he did all the way until the end).

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
glendower

Activity: 17

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 04:42:32 PM

This is not the same as what he did. What he did is to allow people to use his service and deposit Bitcoin and fiat while knowing that he did not have all his customer's funds (despite publicly saying that he did all the way until the end).

Now, I live in the UK, and in law here the accused has the presumption of innocence until proved otherwise. 

Karpeles undoubtedly knew that MtGox was in trouble due to the malleability exploit, but it may have taken some time before they got to the bottom of it and realised exactly how big a problem it was. They may have been working on the premise that they would have sufficient reserves in fiat to bail themselves out.

The fact is, we just don't know.  If Karpeles continued to trade whilst knowingly insolvent, then yes, he is guilty of that, and I am sure that he will have to face the courts to deal with that.

But, I maintain the real villain here is whoever defrauded MtGox in the first place.

SmokeTooMuch (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 05:01:08 PM

new info:
Mt. Gox database sale: steps to remove yourself from dump before sales.

Most around here know we are selling gox customer info. Many have contact us requesting to pay to have their data removed before we sell. We are doing this for a cost of 0.25 BTC per person removed. We have already sold and release 20% of data to 2 buyers, so if you are apart of that it's too late for you.

We are release the rest of this data to our buyers sometime this week, so after that happens it is too late for everyone who has not been removed already.

1) Email [...] with the email you used with mtgox.
2) I will check file already sold, if you are not part of that I will send you unique bitcoin address. If you don't get response it means your data has already been sold in first batch or we have finalized sale of all data.
3) After you have sent .25 bitcoin payment, email us again to inform us of this.
4) Thats all, we will delete your personal data and passport scan from all copies of database.

DO NOT email asking to do this for cheaper unless you are doing 10+ accounts at once. Also do not email us asking to confirm what information we have about you. If gox had it, we have it, and as you can read on boards we have confirmed possession of this dump for many people. We let you use our same email for this as all other gox hack communication so you know we are same people. Doing this things will cause us to ignore all further message from you.

nanashi

Also do not email us asking to confirm what information we have about you.
Interesting how this is the opposite of what he said before.

Afaik nobody has proven to be in possession of such data yet (please correct me if I'm wrong).
I'm starting to think this is all a scam.

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
st4nl3y
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 05:06:59 PM

Now, I live in the UK, and in law here the accused has the presumption of innocence until proved otherwise..

this is one of the reasons i really like in UK laws

in Poland, the laws are so fucked up and corrupted, and totally opposite in this case - they lock you up first, without even listening to you and then you have to prove you are not guilty to get out. Polish gangsta police will lock you up for anything!
st4nl3y
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 05:10:40 PM

new info:
Mt. Gox database sale: steps to remove yourself from dump before sales.

Most around here know we are selling gox customer info. Many have contact us requesting to pay to have their data removed before we sell. We are doing this for a cost of 0.25 BTC per person removed. We have already sold and release 20% of data to 2 buyers, so if you are apart of that it's too late for you.

We are release the rest of this data to our buyers sometime this week, so after that happens it is too late for everyone who has not been removed already.

1) Email [...] with the email you used with mtgox.
2) I will check file already sold, if you are not part of that I will send you unique bitcoin address. If you don't get response it means your data has already been sold in first batch or we have finalized sale of all data.
3) After you have sent .25 bitcoin payment, email us again to inform us of this.
4) Thats all, we will delete your personal data and passport scan from all copies of database.

DO NOT email asking to do this for cheaper unless you are doing 10+ accounts at once. Also do not email us asking to confirm what information we have about you. If gox had it, we have it, and as you can read on boards we have confirmed possession of this dump for many people. We let you use our same email for this as all other gox hack communication so you know we are same people. Doing this things will cause us to ignore all further message from you.

nanashi

This is a SCAM!

nanashi would not take a penny as he said on IRC and hes english is terrible and this is well written.
SmokeTooMuch (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 05:14:06 PM

This is a SCAM!

nanashi would not take a penny as he said on IRC and hes english is terrible and this is well written.
His English was really bad, that's right, but he said he had contact to the russian hackers. Maybe one of them has written the text for him. We can't say that for sure. But it is another hint for all of that being just a scam attempt.

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
clownius

Activity: 448
Merit: 254

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 05:21:34 PM

Meh ive been spammed before.  Have fun with my email address guys.
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 05:25:41 PM

Seriously, does anyone believe that this kind of data is worth anywhere near 100 BTC?

Assuming this is not a scam, which it probably is.

Passport scans for people including many millionaires?  I'm sure it would be quite valuable in the hands of identity thieves and other criminals.  Anyone fool enough to trust their information to Gox is going to have to worry about all kinds of scams being done in their names.  Never mind that terrorist organizations often use the stolen passports of other individuals, so they might end up looking at the wrong end of a terror investigation they have nothing to do with, too.

Goxed indeed!

Even, though, if the current "offer" is someone trying to swindle people who really do deserve to lose their money if they're trying to buy this shit, we have no idea who has all this data, and no reason to believe one of them won't, in fact, eventually sell it, or just publish it for the fuck of it.
clownius

Activity: 448
Merit: 254

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 05:28:24 PM

The math doesnt add up.

20GB wouldnt be many decent scans.  mtgox had how many users?

A database of usernames and other details like address and email maybe but not the actual verification scans those would take up heaps of space.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: