Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:55:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: multiple wallets  (Read 13835 times)
annoyed (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 02:31:56 AM

if i want to have multiple wallets, is it enough if i remove the bitcoin folder in appdata/roaming (and keep it in zip file) every time or do i need a new bitcoin program folder for each wallet as well?

oh and, does bitcoin store data anywhere else? (besides temporary folders)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 02:34:12 AM

you don't need to remove the entire bitcoin folder, just the wallet.dat
annoyed (OP)

Activity: 15

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 02:55:52 AM

srsly? fucking A =D

btw, from everything ive read so far, it seems to me that bitcoins arent really stored on any file, but associated with a certain wallet which cannot be accessed without the wallet.dat file. the reason i think that are the instructions on how to make a 100% secure wallet. the way i understand it, the wallet.dat file you're supposed to put your money doesn't seem to be online at any point except for when you retrieve money from it. is this accurate or am i misunderstanding something?

also, wouldnt it be way safer to have a shit-ton of wallets with only small amounts in each (each with their own password of course) rather than having one wallet with everything in it? yes, it'd be tedious but safer, wouldnt it? (assuming you're able to memorize a high quantity of very complicated passwords that is)
Tuxavant

Activity: 784

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2011, 04:03:23 AM

Think of it like this... the blockchain contains the data to determine a wallet's balance and the wallet.dat file contains the data to spend bitcoins, or rather, sign money away to other addresses.

If you're taking your money off-line, then yes, you should make several wallets and keep various denominations in those wallets. When you need to bring some money "online" you just open as many offline wallets as you need to get the amount you need.. that way, the rest of the off-line money stays safe offline. and actually, you don't really need whole wallets for keeping stuff offline.. you can use bitaddress.org to generate just the bitcoin addresses (and keys) (offline).

srsly? fucking A =D

btw, from everything ive read so far, it seems to me that bitcoins arent really stored on any file, but associated with a certain wallet which cannot be accessed without the wallet.dat file. the reason i think that are the instructions on how to make a 100% secure wallet. the way i understand it, the wallet.dat file you're supposed to put your money doesn't seem to be online at any point except for when you retrieve money from it. is this accurate or am i misunderstanding something?

also, wouldnt it be way safer to have a shit-ton of wallets with only small amounts in each (each with their own password of course) rather than having one wallet with everything in it? yes, it'd be tedious but safer, wouldnt it? (assuming you're able to memorize a high quantity of very complicated passwords that is)

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2011, 04:04:47 AM

Please refer to this post to have an idea of what it would take to use two different wallets on the same computer.

The wallet file contains your personal encryption keys, along with your addresses, address book, and a "shortcut list" of your transactions, so they don't have to be looked up on the blockchain each time. The wallet.dat contains everything about your bitcoin identity - delete or lose it, and you will no longer be able to send coins you have received, making them effectively lost.

There are other files in the directory, such as your local copy of the blockchain, a list of recently used IP addresses, etc. You don't need to delete these when swapping wallets, but if you have two complete directories for each wallet that you swap back and forth, you know that bitcoin won't miss adding a notification that you received coins to your wallet because you'll have to download new blocks each time.

The Bitcoin transaction blockchain contains a trusted record of where everyone's bitcoins are, and it is what prevents double-spending and counterfeit coins. You don't need to have bitcoin actively running to receive coins, and you can use online services like blockchain explorer to see an address's current balance.
Tuxavant

Activity: 784

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2011, 04:10:39 AM

You don't need to have bitcoin actively running to receive coins

I absolutely love this.... for example... you make some bitcoin addresses(and keys offline) with bitaddress.org... they've never "seen the internet"... yet you can send money at any time to those addresses... get some more bitcoins 3 months later during a dip? no need to bring that address online... just keep sending the bitcoins to the address.. it's like a super secure savings account.

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2011, 04:25:04 AM

You don't need to have bitcoin actively running to receive coins

I absolutely love this.... for example... you make some bitcoin addresses(and keys offline) with bitaddress.org... they've never "seen the internet"... yet you can send money at any time to those addresses... get some more bitcoins 3 months later during a dip? no need to bring that address online... just keep sending the bitcoins to the address.. it's like a super secure savings account.

I wouldn't trust an online service, you want to be the only one who knows the private keys. Also, you want to be able to test that you can successfully receive money first - what happens if the online service made bad private keys and you can't import them into your bitcoin client?

A wallet can contain multiple receive addresses. In Bitcoin, just press the 'new' button next to your address several times to generate some more. This way you can keep track of where different payments come from, keep someone from seeing your total wallet balance, etc.
vmg3

Activity: 14

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 04:46:28 AM

multibit is pretty cool for multiple wallets Roll Eyes
sudburyjoe

Activity: 1

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 03:31:46 AM

what happens if I get a virus or my hard drive dies.  If I don't have the wallet.dat file I'm I S.O.L.
Mayuyu48

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 03:49:53 AM

I would like to recommend you to use multibit as your wallet if you want use multiple wallets.
I use multibit, it's very easy to manage multiple wallets there
what happens if I get a virus or my hard drive dies.  If I don't have the wallet.dat file I'm I S.O.L.
that's why you must make a backup of your dat file somewhere out the hard drive. Maybe in external drive or cloud drive.

Exther2

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 08:51:31 AM

For multi wallet you should use MultiBit.
Can be found here https://multibit.org
I use 3 wallets and it working fine.
Sometimes it stuck but then use "reset a block chain and transactions" option and it comes back to normal.

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲
avw1982

Activity: 644

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 09:00:28 AM

Always make copies of your wallet.dat. Just buy a new USB stick only for backup.

Also don't store to much in a hot wallet. If you want to save some BTC just make some paper wallet for it.
Ingatqhvq

Activity: 532

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 09:18:11 AM

if i want to have multiple wallets, is it enough if i remove the bitcoin folder in appdata/roaming (and keep it in zip file) every time or do i need a new bitcoin program folder for each wallet as well?

Each  wallet.dat file represent a  wallets。
kepo07

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 11:37:58 AM

Each  wallet.dat file represent a  wallets。
Each wallet.dat consist of private keys for addresses and can be used to spend the coins. Wallet.dat has 100 pregenerated addresses and backups should be done often.
wadili89
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 10:38:43 PM

wow you just bumped an 4 years old thread , anyways always make backup of your wallet and do not save it in your hard drive save it in USD

mlferro

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 12:16:44 AM

yes I agree !! Bitcoin core also be excellent for this.

Paraka
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2015, 12:22:25 AM

ok thank you for your informations
I want to try this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: