Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:34:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea Discussion - Bitcoin Public Relations BPR Fork - Funding BTC Advancement  (Read 244 times)
eddie13 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 2262

BTC or BUST

View Profile
December 11, 2018, 09:15:01 PM
Last edit: December 12, 2018, 12:38:01 AM by eddie13
Merited by BenOnceAgain (1)

This is an idea for an altcoin whos purpose is to fund a positive and informative PR campaign for Bitcoin similar to the DASH budget paid by the mining revenue.

I would like it to be forked from BTC so all existing keys get some coin to either dump or donate to the foundation. This would also raise awareness.

Change the block reward code to something like 10 BPR to the miner that solves the block and 2.5 BPR for every block goes to the foundation to spend on the Bitcoin PR campaign, no more halving. Maybe more, maybe less, help me think this through.

Set the coin up for Merge Mining like Unobtanium-UNO to be mined alongside Bitcoin by Bitcoin miners.
Why would Bitcoin miners want to merge mine BPR? Because BPR is going to help Bitcoin = helping them.

I think that Bitconers, even altcoin haters, will like BPR and support it because of it's mission.
If anyone wanted to help support the foundation they could do so by donating BPR to the foundation that they mined, bought, or received in the fork, and by providing liquidity on BPR/BTC markets because it will only work if it's worth something to pay for the PR campaign.

What would it be spent on?
How about some youtube ads? The same way they are always trying to sell me a Mercedes we can run little positive awareness ads for Bitcoin.
Not "Buy Bitcoin" ads but maybe just some positive facts about Bitcoin, information.

Something like
"Bitcoin, bringing power to the people across the world, put the power of YOUR finance in YOUR hands! paid for by the BPR foundation"
"Bitcoin, the most secure network in history, trust in numbers"
With cool graphics n sheet.

Small clickable google ads, facebook ads, ads on forums across the internet, on blogs, wherever we can buy small ads where normies are at.
How cool would it be to see an add for Bitcoin during the news hour of your local TV station? Maybe even a superbowl add some day.
Doge had a Nascar, maybe we can get Bitcoin on a Formula 1 car, MotoGP, Xgames skateboarding and BMX, the Olympics!

BPR can pay for the ads, pay professionals to create the ads, pay for management of the foundation to commission the campaign.

The foundation would have to be transparent and remain true to the purpose of advancing BTC. Always do the right thing, the best we can, and show it.

BPR itself will get publicity because our ads will say "paid for by BPR" so we advertise for the foundation at the same time in an indirect way.

I think a lot of people are grateful for what positive PR Bitcoin gets now (like Antonopoulos) and with just a little trust to give the BPR foundation a chance in the beginning (donate, mine, liquidity) it could go far.
Everyone will see that the foundation is doing what it said it would do when they start seeing the ads.

What we would need at first is just brainstorming a good plan, a good coder to code the altcoin, someone to make a website for BPR to explain it's mission, some miners to run it, and some Bitcointalk threads if it actually happens.

We don't need any scammy ICO to raise money to get it off the ground.
I think enough people to start it and make it happen would just help because they believe in the mission of the project pro bono or IOU, if it succeeds we can FAIRLY make it worth our work to make it happen and fairly employ people to run the foundation.

I think if it needed an ICO and the promise of profit then it's not worth doing.
This isn't for profit, it is a humanitarian effort for Bitcoin and the good of all people of the world (If you believe in Bitcoin for the right reasons).  

It would benefit Bitcoin holders too, and miners, and businesses like Coinbase, and everyone directly or indirectly invested in Bitcoin and the Crypto community. So if they can trust that BPR is going to do what it says it's going to do, they might want to help too.

What do you think?
Why is this a terrible idea?
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
eddie13 (OP)
Legendary

BTC or BUST

View Profile
December 16, 2018, 06:08:37 PM

Bump
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
December 17, 2018, 11:56:13 PM

The foundation would have to be transparent and remain true to the purpose of advancing BTC. Always do the right thing, the best we can, and show it. ....

Things sure didn't turn out as expected or hoped for with the Bitcoin Foundation.
BenOnceAgain

Activity: 208
Merit: 84

🌐 www.btric.org 🌐

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2018, 01:37:21 AM
Merited by eddie13 (1), Heisenberg_Hunter (1), Westingcote (1)

The foundation would have to be transparent and remain true to the purpose of advancing BTC. Always do the right thing, the best we can, and show it. ....

Things sure didn't turn out as expected or hoped for with the Bitcoin Foundation.

That is a shame too.  A foundation like the Bitcoin Foundation could do a lot of good for the community if it went about things in the right way.  I'm not sure if they had anyone that knew much about how to run and grow a nonprofit. There's some nuance there that's different from for-profit entities. I suppose the problem could be drama-related, really unfortunate if so.

I tried to reach out to them earlier this year about what seemed to be a great reason, the Hal Finney ALS fund, which has accumulated just over 14 BTC, and should have the funds donated to the ALS Foundation.  I didn't get a response, and the BTC is still at that address (https://www.blockchain.com/btc/address/1JsnZLEGgLJY7rbDdaKTzC2JyvfaKUpF5p).

Earlier this year I had to pause my own non-profit organization, BTRIC, because I didn't want to spend the modest amount of funds that it raised all out to me for my cost of living. Earning a living had to take priority, of course.

But I always find myself getting drawn back towards blockchain, and especially cryptocurrency. So the unpausing, for me, is coming, either with BTRIC or potentially somewhere else. Not really sure about that part, just know that I have never felt more passionately about something as I do about blockchain technology being a tremendous force for good in the world, with cryptocurrency being the most important application for it.

But anyway, during my pause (going on 6 months), I've had a chance to think about a bunch of things (long drives to and from work will do this to you). One of those being the need to build or coordinate nonprofits in the cryptocurrency space that are not simply big crypto endowments. Instead, like other nonprofits, they should implement programs, sponsor research, and raise funds from performing grant work and from philanthropic trusts. There's enough research that could be conducted, benefitting Bitcoin, research sponsors, and society as a whole, to fund the operations of a foundation. To say nothing of other work a foundation could coordinate that could really benefit people in the developing world and spread the use of cryptocurrency while simultaneously diminishing the control that private central banks have over much of the planet.

I support your idea for a way to fund BTC advancement in a manner that isn't solely dependent on current Bitcoin businesses. I don't know if a fork is the right way to do it, but it certainly is an idea worth considering. Forks have been created for much less worthy reasons (lol). I hope that you don't stop at Public Relations, and also focus on other ways to really keep advancing the tech. Promotion and education ARE important, but there are other priorities too. And absolutely, complete transparency is a must for any credible nonprofit.

Best regards,
Ben
eddie13 (OP)
Legendary

BTC or BUST

View Profile
December 20, 2018, 08:14:51 PM
Merited by BenOnceAgain (1)

I support your idea for a way to fund BTC advancement in a manner that isn't solely dependent on current Bitcoin businesses.
Thanks for your nice post and shared expertise.

I don't know if a fork is the right way to do it, but it certainly is an idea worth considering. Forks have been created for much less worthy reasons (lol).
Forks get a lot of attention. It just being a fork would probably get it mentioned in a lot of places focused on forks. It also seems that crypto media likes to write articles about forks.
The fork idea is just half a ply to draw attention.

The people that we would want to reach are Bitcoin holders. I think if they find out they got some more free coins, even if they don't claim them, they will probably go find out what it's all about and if it's worth anything and then be aware of it.

I hope that you don't stop at Public Relations, and also focus on other ways to really keep advancing the tech. Promotion and education ARE important, but there are other priorities too.
I don't know too much about technical development but donating to some promising projects is another good idea.

I was more thinking about targeting the population at large with positive Bitcoin messages to give them a better impression of Bitcoin, rather than them just thinking it is a scam, for scammers, only for criminals and money launderers, etc..

If their are ever enough funds they could be used on many positive things for Bitcoin.

Like nodes. Maybe we could incentivise nodes somehow like we could send some Bitcoin nodes, to BTC nodes that are also running a BPR node as donations, or something.
Or, if we could incentivise BPR nodes with some of the BPR block rewards in the coin's code, maybe people would run them for that incentive and maybe they would run a Bitcoin node too while they are at it since they would already be set up for it.

And absolutely, complete transparency is a must for any credible nonprofit.
Blockchain is great for transparency. Their may be some cool ways to provide transparency all on the block chain. Like a proof of swap to Bitcoin from BPR for donations in BTC or if BPR had enough liquidity to be a currency maybe people would accept straight BPR as payments for their work, and donate straight BPR, so it would easily stay on the blockchain and be transparent.

just know that I have never felt more passionately about something as I do about blockchain technology being a tremendous force for good in the world, with cryptocurrency being the most important application for it.
This is the main reason I am interested in cryptocurrency.
Imagine how hard it would be for the "powers that be" to orchestrate frivolous wars if they couldn't just print a bunch of fiat to pay for it..
Or for people to be able to escape whatever hellish situation they may find themselves in without monetary controls stopping them, like the confiscation of Jewish wealth right before the holocaust. If they had BTC and knew how to use it could NOT have been confiscated, and could possibly have been sent to help them instead of used to fund their demise..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: