Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:41:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Future of cryptocurrency  (Read 356 times)
bstash (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 168
Merit: 0

Bitcoin Stash | https://bstash.org

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2018, 08:58:51 PM

Hello guys,

Major cryptocurrencies comes with many downsides such as large wallet size (over 190GB), huge cost for mining, etc.
What will be the future of cryptocurrency? If someone invents a new kind of digital currency that won't come with such downsides, what will happen to all existing cryptocurrencies?  or do you guys think cryptocurrencies will evolve and remove all of its problems?
I want to know what people will do when Bitcoin's wallet size reach 300GB or bigger.
And how long will it take to reach wallet size that people want to avoid downloading?

Bitcoin Stash | https://bstash.org | Bitcoin Cash Hard Fork | Join Our Forum: https://forum.bstash.org

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jjjfff
Copper Member

Activity: 182
Merit: 18

Crypto.BI

View Profile
December 13, 2018, 10:50:40 PM

Bitcoin's disk growth rate is relatively fixed at one block every 10 minutes. The block size is fixed, so you can easily do the math.

Hard drives are getting larger and larger. You have multiple terabyte SSD's now for the price you'd pay for same size spinning disks just a few years ago. So storage will always be plenty.

The future of cryptos will be interesting decentralized apps that actually solve problems. I think Basic Attention Token has potential because if it achieves what it set out to do, it'll solve the online ads problem. Lightning Network looks awesome as well, allowing almost instant transactions with almost no cost.

Times are rough for people who bought at all time highs, but the future looks just as promising as it did 8 years ago!

Bitcoinnation
Copper Member

Activity: 98
Merit: 16

View Profile
December 13, 2018, 11:30:57 PM
Last edit: December 13, 2018, 11:43:50 PM by Bitcoinnation
Merited by Jet Cash (2), DdmrDdmr (2)

<snip>
You are talking about a wallet like Bitcoin Core, right?
The fact is that Bitcoin Core as a wallet is not a big application. It's a full node which means once you install it and it's running on your computer, it will help with the validation and transmission of other transactions on the Bitcoin network and will save a copy of the entire blockchain on your computer... That's why you think the wallet is big in size, but instead, it's the whole blockchain data saved in there.

The advantage of this wallet is it brings in better privacy since it won't rely on peers or external servers to get data.

I want to know what people will do when Bitcoin's wallet size reach 300GB or bigger.
Solution to the Size problem is to;
- Store you blockchain data on a separate Harddrive, but always ensure it's mounted when you run your Bitcoin Core
More details here:How do I relocate my bitcoin data in bitcoin-qt to save space?
- Use other lighter wallets like;

More information about Thin Client Security

If someone invents a new kind of digital currency that won't come with such downsides, what will happen to all existing cryptocurrencies?
There have been over thousands of cryptocurrencies (2072 coins/tokens are officially listed on coinmarkecap) introduced with an attempt to overtake bitcoin in the number one position in terms of market cap and adoption  but none has succeeded to this date, so, "What will happen to all existing cryptocurrencies?" I bet your guess is as good as mine

Dreamace7

Activity: 126
Merit: 1

: ”Decentralized Digital Billboards”

View Profile
December 14, 2018, 08:32:53 AM

Just as most things in life cryptocurrency would get better with time and the coming of more advanced cryptocurrency is welcome but to me I think it would be that the already existing coins would develop

https://bidooh.io/ ▸▸  Decentralized Digital Billboards
Backed by OKEx & Director of Manchester United    ●●
DdmrDdmr
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 10731

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2018, 09:16:19 AM

<…>
As @Bitcoinnation points out, the wallet issue with size you are focusing on is if you are running a full Bitcoin Core none, being the size hazard easily overcome by adding a simple external USB disk as a repository (I use a 3Tb external USB 3.0 disk and it works smoothly). You obviously do not need to run a full node to use a BTC wallet.

As for the costs of mining, it depends on the crypto type itself and the underlying algorithm and difficulty established. There are well known cryptos such as Ripple, Cardano, Stellar, Eos and Neo that are premined, and therefore have no mining associated cost.
vhns222

Activity: 504
Merit: 105

View Profile
December 14, 2018, 09:20:08 AM

One of 2 year afther 190 or even 300gb would be nothing and truly said its nothing now ,so dont think its a problem and afther years 300gb would like 300 mb or even kb 300 for users.

Infinixhot1996

Activity: 98
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 16, 2018, 08:24:33 AM

What will be the future of cryptocurrency? If someone invents a new kind of digital currency that won't come with such downsides, what will happen to all existing cryptocurrencies?  or do you guys think cryptocurrencies will evolve and remove all of its problems?
It's not going to happen,the bitcoin can never be replaced,and of course individuals and groups have been creating cryptocurrencies right before the bitcoin itself,but they all had a short life span
Only the bitcoin survived and gave birth to over 2000 coins currently in the market.
There can be no system without a downside,and that of the bitcoin is being worked on daily to reduce it's inimical effect on its growth.
Every or any coin that has and will be created will also have it's downside.
What the bitcoin offers, I doubt any coin can
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2018, 09:18:54 AM

Solve both of the problems in the OP by running a pruned node, and don't mine blocks. Then you can run your own node, and get all the flexibility and control it gives.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
jeremyscott

Activity: 54

View Profile
December 16, 2018, 10:57:51 AM

it will prevail i am sure... we have to break away from the traditional system
r1s2g3

Activity: 742
Merit: 395

I am alive but in hibernation.

View Profile
December 17, 2018, 06:34:15 AM

You are mixing blockchain size with wallet size.

I am alive
Ciscopro2000

Activity: 495
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 18, 2018, 01:47:08 AM

Crypto currency is here to stay.  Once more people get familiar with it, and see its use cases, the crypto market will become more stable.  Right now it swings wildly both ways (mainly downward trend at the moment).
coin90

Activity: 17

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2018, 01:35:57 PM

I agree with @bitcoinnation. The simple solution would be to plug your external disk before running it.
Onuohakk

Activity: 672
Merit: 29

View Profile
December 21, 2018, 08:21:04 AM

Well let's just patiently wait till the new invention will be dine but for now let's enjoy cryptocurrency for as long as it last which would in my opinion be for a very long time

|   Facebook   |     Twitter     |                    R A N G E R S                    |    Discord    |    Medium    |
|    Telegram    |                    ─────     PROTOCOL     ─────                    |    Gitbook    |
████  ███  ██  █          VIRTUAL WORLDS BLOCKCHAIN INFRASTRUCTURE          █  ██  ███  ████
loloos

Activity: 112

View Profile
December 21, 2018, 09:06:33 AM

Future of the cryptocurrency will be good and it will be long lasting as it is having the good features and specs with the good rewards.
People nowadays are making investment in the cryptocurrency and investors are increasing. It is the long term investment.
Noa_Amable

Activity: 714
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 21, 2018, 01:14:20 PM

Future of the cryptocurrency will be good and it will be long lasting as it is having the good features and specs with the good rewards.
People nowadays are making investment in the cryptocurrency and investors are increasing. It is the long term investment.

At least cryptocurrency will be used as a payment option.

The smallest example: traders from Iran face real problems while making a deposit to forex brokers. here comes crypto! the easiest way to send and receive money without being checked by the authorities.

So, I guess crypto life has just started.
Tanhahaque

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 21, 2018, 05:56:53 PM

Cryptocurrency Have a Prosperous  Future. Cryptocurrency Will Replace  National Currency futurist and author Thomas Frey, He predicts that cryptocurrencies are going to displace roughly 25% of national currencies by 2030 On Earth. Bitcoin Price Hits $24,000 in Iran as Government Approves Crypto Mining Industry. There Are Top 10 Countries They are Accepted Cryptocurrency. In Future Cryptocurrency Will Be In A Good Position.
yuluxugi32132

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 01, 2019, 03:35:45 PM

At the moment the fintech and cash money offer some better solutions in terms of speed and privacy for most of the people. Probably this is the reason why bitcoin didn't take over the world
Areding

Activity: 46
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 21, 2019, 05:11:36 AM

Cryptocurrency is a successful project that attracts more and more investors every day, so in the future it will be only developing and growing.
Upgate

Activity: 560
Merit: 14

View Profile
January 21, 2019, 03:31:10 PM

Cryptocurrency it self is a digital currency or cryptography so would any other currency developed under that platform not fall under the idea of cryptocurrency.
There is still room for improvement on the part of cryptocurrency and the future would be better
Cryptoprimes

Activity: 218
Merit: 16

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2019, 04:35:09 PM

Hello guys,

Major cryptocurrencies comes with many downsides such as large wallet size (over 190GB), huge cost for mining, etc.
And how long will it take to reach wallet size that people want to avoid downloading?
You don't need to download Bitcoin core at the moment. Leave it for miners and nodes. Bitcoin will be the king as it always was. If someone finds a better solution, it will be applied at Bitcoin too. Now it's developing in the right way. Scaling problem already solved. So the future of cryptocurrency will be awesome, revolution is coming to our place.

★★★★★★★★  Cryptocurrency Knowledge Hub ★★★★★★★★
CryptoDetail.com
Learn Blockchain Programming, Mining, Trading
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: