View Profile
March 09, 2014, 09:59:02 PM
Last edit: July 07, 2021, 07:12:52 AM by renat0

bitbrasil

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 10:34:26 PM

Why would I donate to a site that is responsible for centralizing information around the world? I can't believe people are helping information get centralized even more.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2014, 11:47:51 PM

Why would I donate to a site that is responsible for centralizing information around the world? I can't believe people are helping information get centralized even more.

Ok but what is wrong for you with Wikipedia?

How many times you was happy that Wikipedia exist?
How many times it was damn useful for you?
A hundred? Thousand? Perhaps. Smiley

But I think donating someone to make him accept BTC is strange way of forcing him to it.
I think he should decide without donations.

Regards.   BTC
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 12:22:02 AM

What is wrong with you? Wikipedia isn't centralization CONTROL, it's totally 100% free to everyone. No profits!! Volunteer based!

A great cause, one of the best things to result from the internet, and the foundation for the future of a worldwide knowledge-base of humanity.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
mysidia

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 12:23:58 AM

Why would I donate to a site that is responsible for centralizing information around the world?

Huh?   Much information was always centralized in a few major encyclopedias and large publishers' publications!
Wikipedia is the encyclopedia that anyone can edit.    So creation of content is being decentralized.

It's all  open publication license.....  Anyone can download the database dump of all the content and share....

And so far,  nobody's created any peer-to-peer   Distributed Wiki  protocol  alternative to even try to replace using a centralized website,  yet.

WP is still a step away from centralization; however.

BTC: 1FbuJxZCeJUqrP7EpUkgMKWAmAA1M8gUBd
LTC: LbvomgbwKnqk47mWzALCDEoV8ydjxYYYpF
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 12:36:27 AM

Why would I donate to a site that is responsible for centralizing information around the world?

Huh?   Much information was always centralized in a few major encyclopedias and large publishers' publications!
Wikipedia is the encyclopedia that anyone can edit.    So creation of content is being decentralized.

It's all  open publication license.....  Anyone can download the database dump of all the content and share....

And so far,  nobody's created any peer-to-peer   Distributed Wiki  protocol  alternative to even try to replace using a centralized website,  yet.

It is true. And I think centralized info is not a bad thing at all.

Kind regards.   BTC
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 12:55:44 AM

Wikimedia or w/e their corporate name is already told everybody why they can't accept bitcoin, it's because donations need to be tracked through the fiat system to link up identities because of political shenanigans and charity fraud. This is Jimmy Wales' personal bitcoin address which he will just blow on Chateau Petrus so feel free to donate to a millionaire for no reason at all

bitbrasil

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 01:05:57 AM

Quote from: mysidia
Wikipedia is the encyclopedia that anyone can edit. So creation of content is being decentralized.

So you're saying that because information was always centralized, it's good to keep it centralized?

And you obviously know nothing about how Wikipedia works. Anyone can edit? lololol anyone can edit until a sysop say you can edit.

Creation of content couldn't be more centralized, there's one and only one version of a given subject and which version gets published is dictated by a few sysops that have other buddies as sysops too.

what exactly are you going to do with a db dump?

Why you are stuck with peer-to-peer in your head? YOu can have decentralized information using good old internet protocol for that.
bitbrasil

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 01:10:19 AM

What is wrong with you? Wikipedia isn't centralization CONTROL, it's totally 100% free to everyone. No profits!! Volunteer based!

A great cause, one of the best things to result from the internet, and the foundation for the future of a worldwide knowledge-base of humanity.

YOu make zero sense.. what being 100% free and volunteer based has to do with it being or not being centralized?Huh

Wikipedia is information controlled by a few administrators, centralization of information is 1000X more dangerous than centralized currencies and central banks, and people like you are feeding this monster like stupid zombies.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 01:37:35 AM

Lots of little donations to Jimmy Wales:

https://blockchain.info/address/1McNsCTN26zkBSHs9fsgUHHy8u5S1PY5q3

TheFootMan

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 01:42:53 AM

Wikipedia is great - but as with any centralized resource it can be easily manipulated by those with enough power. A decentralized wikipedia is a great idea.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 01:49:25 AM
Last edit: March 10, 2014, 02:18:40 AM by franky1

silly people. your not donating to Wikipedia. in the hope they will accept donations..

thats a paradox

edit, sorry. there has been like 30 scams i came across(all with paragraphs that didnt read right).. and this one, i was just on autopilot..

need coffee to wake my brain up again

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
bitbrasil

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 01:53:45 AM

Wikipedia is great - but as with any centralized resource it can be easily manipulated by those with enough power. A decentralized wikipedia is a great idea.

There is already a decentralized wikipedia... The internet! Centralization will only occur if all people start promoting one site such as wikipedia as source of all information. Wikipedia is the Ghash.io of the internet
Pangia

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 01:56:32 AM

Please donate some BTC to Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia.
1McNsCTN26zkBSHs9fsgUHHy8u5S1PY5q3
https://twitter.com/jimmy_wales/status/441632741352681472
https://twitter.com/jimmy_wales/status/441634501265862657

Wikipedia is much more important than Wikileaks in terms of visibility and this would bring us a lot of attention.
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=wikipedia%2C%20wikileaks&cmpt=q
I was surprised that after 3 days there was barely 0.1 btc donated to him. I was expecting to see at least 3 btc in donations to motivate him accepting BTC on wikipedia.
I donated some, please do so too so we can gain more visibility. If possible send him a message through blockchain so that he can see we want it added to wikipedia and it would be very good for Wikipedia

Get them to set up an official address and donations will go there. Anything else smells of a scam (especially from a newbie) despite your good intentions.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
hi_i_am_a_nerd

Activity: 70

What is a Bitcoin anyway?

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:00:58 AM

Please donate some BTC to Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia.
https://twitter.com/jimmy_wales/status/441632741352681472
https://twitter.com/jimmy_wales/status/441634501265862657

Wikipedia is much more important than Wikileaks in terms of visibility and this would bring us a lot of attention.
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=wikipedia%2C%20wikileaks&cmpt=q
I was surprised that after 3 days there was barely 0.1 btc donated to him. I was expecting to see at least 3 btc in donations to motivate him accepting BTC on wikipedia.
I donated some, please do so too so we can gain more visibility. If possible send him a message through blockchain so that he can see we want it added to wikipedia and it would be very good for Wikipedia

Get them to set up an official address and donations will go there. Anything else smells of a scam (especially from a newbie) despite your good intentions.
i agree with OP! hows he scamming!? he posted a link to a tweet!? dont be ridiculous!

DoNaTe? BTC:  | EARN FREE BTC!
LTC: Lfugx6uauLN25EuhMyrAAquNePf7fZg2uV            | http://freebitco.in/?r=23681
TheFootMan

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:28:15 AM

Hah... let's just hope his twitter account is not hacked.  Roll Eyes
mport1

Activity: 27

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:38:20 AM

Donated.
Taras
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1053

Please do not PM me loan requests!

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 02:52:13 AM

Wikipedia is nice and all but it wouldn't hurt to decentralize.
killinitsoftly

Activity: 81

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 05:37:34 AM

Personally, can't stand Jimmy Wales.  My BTC will stay with me tonight.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 03:01:52 PM

Update on everything that's been happening
1) That is Jimmy's account
2) He hasn't been hacked, coinbase is just moving his coins to an offline wallet
3) Jimmy seems very interested on BTC now
4) We have surpassed 4.5 btc mark and still growing. This community is great, let's keep donating. Thanks to everybody
5) He said all donations to that address will be forwarded to wikimedia foundation
6) He's analysing BTC as a wikipedia donation feature

thanks for the summary.

i like point 5, thats important! i will donate. we nearly passed 5 btc (and thats just a test...cant believe they dont accept it yet  Lips sealed)

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: