Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:14:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the minimal version of ubuntu that I need to have to run a full node?  (Read 317 times)
TheBitD (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2018, 02:51:08 AM

Hi Guys,

I know I might be a bit late but I was trying to run a bitcoin full node on my cubieboard3 (cubietruck) and I am struggling a lot! Let's go with my questions ans see if someone is kind to asnwer me Smiley

1 - What is the minimal version of ubuntu that I need to have to run a full node?
2 - I was able to install Ubuntu Desktop 12-04 LTS and tried to install the full node. When I was click on the Bitcoin UI nothing happened. Could be because of the version for the Bitcoin core Vs the Ubuntu version?
3 - I did an update from 12-04 LTS to 14-04 LTS but since I installed the updagrade I couldn't login anymore. I actually got a warning during the installation saying that the "Unity" could not work. I ignored and continued but seems that something is wrong...
4 - Is there any other Operating System (other then Ubuntu) or something similar where I could run a full node on this cubietruck?

Here are the specs for the cubietruck (Cubieboard3):

SoC: Allwinner A20
CPU: ARM Cortex-A7 @ 1 GHz dual-core
GPU: Mali-400 MP2
display controller: unknown, supports HDMI 1080p, no LVDS support
2 GiB DDR3 @ 480 MHz
8 GB NAND flash built-in, 1x microSD slot, 1x SATA 2.0 port (Hard Disk of 2,5").
10/100/1000 RTL8211E Gigabit Ethernet
2x USB Host, 1x USB OTG, 1x CIR.
S/PDIF, headphone, VGA and HDMI audio out, mic and line-in via extended pins
Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on board with PCB antenna (Broadcom BCM4329/BCM40181)
54 extended pins including I²C, SPI
Dimensions: 11 cm × 8 cm

Thank you very much.
Cheers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
December 17, 2018, 09:44:39 AM

Is Debian wheezy still produced? If so I managed to install (rasbian which is Debian wheezy on my raspberry pi) and it seemed to install alright although it ran out of space straight after.

With 12.04 did you manage to install all of the dependencies? You need the qt/gui dependencies too...
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2018, 04:19:34 PM

The easiest way to solve the problem is by using newer Ubuntu version, are there any specific reason you don't use newer Ubuntu version? I'm sure ubuntu support ARMv7

Also, you need to show more information such as error message and your debug.log

I think the older version is actually a lot smaller and will hopefully run a lot faster.

I hate ubuntu, anyone who uses it essentially has counterfeit Windows imo (it has too many addons)... To run a bitcoin node all you really need is a terminal to get stuff working you don't need half a gigabyte of random extra stuff that just fills up the drive and is probably never used. I didn't notice it was armv7, OP you can put raspbian straight on that I think (didn't raspberry pi migrate from v3).
TheBitD (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2018, 11:39:48 PM

Guys,

first of all, thank you very much for having the time to come here and help me. Really, much appreciated.

Secondly, maybe I should say that I am a 0 at linux :\ I know that will make things a bit more complex, although, I am here to learn and open to chalenge my self Smiley

So, let's see if I can answer all the questions.

Is Debian wheezy still produced? If so I managed to install (rasbian which is Debian wheezy on my raspberry pi) and it seemed to install alright although it ran out of space straight after.

With 12.04 did you manage to install all of the dependencies? You need the qt/gui dependencies too...

What you mean by dependencies? I had an image for ubuntu 12.04 from here:
http://dl.cubieboard.org/software/a20-cubietruck/ubuntu-desktop/

And I installed. It comes with kinf of a specific "layer" (?) called Linaro, I am not sure but seems to be a specific version? Maybe with only some specific components, not sure.

I installed the Bitcoin Core package but after the installation when I click on the Bitcoin icon (UI) nothing actually happens. So i thought it could be the Ubuntu version and went to the menu to seach for updates and found that I could upgrade to version 14.04. I actually did that and before start installing I had a warning saying that my, I think, graphic chip could have the risk of not woriking with Unity (that later I found out that is the UI for Ubuntu. I said I wanted to install it anyway.

After all the installation and the system reboot, with a new theme - I think Ubuntu 14.04, it started to ask for my password but whatever password I tried didn't work, always had the error "Failed to start session". I went to the web and found some suggestions but seems to not work:

https://itsfoss.com/failed-to-start-session-ubuntu-14-04/
https://itsfoss.com/how-to-fix-no-unity-no-launcher-no-dash-in-ubuntu-12-10-quick-tip/
https://itsfoss.com/reset-unity-compiz-settings-ubuntu-1404/
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2217895

No luck yet... Sad So I am maybe starting to think to have a simpler operating system that could run with the latest Bitcoin Core version.

Thank you very much.
TheBitD (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2018, 11:48:03 PM

The easiest way to solve the problem is by using newer Ubuntu version, are there any specific reason you don't use newer Ubuntu version? I'm sure ubuntu support ARMv7

Also, you need to show more information such as error message and your debug.log

I was not using the latest version of Ubuntu because I went to see the System requirements and saw that needs 2 GHz processor:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements?_ga=2.31186488.623542583.1544818503-1396174967.1543338975

The error I had after the upgrade was as described in my previous post. "Failed to Start Session" but where can I access that log? Do you know what directory is that file? I could try to access it.

Thank you very much.
TheBitD (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2018, 12:11:47 AM

I think the older version is actually a lot smaller and will hopefully run a lot faster.

I hate ubuntu, anyone who uses it essentially has counterfeit Windows imo (it has too many addons)... To run a bitcoin node all you really need is a terminal to get stuff working you don't need half a gigabyte of random extra stuff that just fills up the drive and is probably never used. I didn't notice it was armv7, OP you can put raspbian straight on that I think (didn't raspberry pi migrate from v3).

I don't fancy Ubuntu, I just was trying to install it because was the one I saw more mentions and also in the Bitcoin.org site where they explain how to install the full node.

I am definately open to try other operating system, I guess the only prob that I might have is that I don't know much about linux. Not sure I'll be able to do all the settings from the terminal? But I agree, probably I'll be installing much things I won't need with Ubuntu. But having a UI probably will help my newbie skills.

You mention raspian, is that a version specific for raspberry pi? Would it work on this one?

Thank you very much.
TheBitD (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2018, 12:18:29 AM

4 - Is there any other Operating System (other then Ubuntu) or something similar where I could run a full node on this cubietruck?

There are plenty of linux distro for your device, but i've no idea about support for Bitcoin Full Nodes.

How about ArchLinux for ARM? It's fairly popular linux distro and use less resource compared with Ubuntu,

Ubuntu have many version (such as Ubuntu Server for ARM, Ubuntu Core & Lubuntu) and few of them run fine even on old / barebone PC

I hate ubuntu, anyone who uses it essentially has counterfeit Windows imo (it has too many addons)... To run a bitcoin node all you really need is a terminal to get stuff working you don't need half a gigabyte of random extra stuff that just fills up the drive and is probably never used.

Me too, but people have difference preference/usage

I'll try to see with the guys from Bitcoin Core what is the system requirements to run a full node. I actually found this:
https://bitcoin.org/en/full-node#other-linux-distributions

So I might be able to run other linus distribution... like you said, maybe ArchLinux? Like I said on my previous post, I don't have any specific preference, just found that with a UI might be easier for my linux skills (0) Smiley But let's see maybe I'll investigate a bit more into that ArchLinux.

Thank you very much.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2018, 12:35:57 AM

As a question, why are you wanting to use Linux?

This shows a list of dependencies and what you need to install: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/doc/build-unix.md
Before you install bitcoin core through the four commands, install the dependencies. I’d give you a script but I think you should learn how to do it so you get used to Linux.
TheBitD (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2018, 02:15:49 AM

As a question, why are you wanting to use Linux?

This shows a list of dependencies and what you need to install: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/doc/build-unix.md
Before you install bitcoin core through the four commands, install the dependencies. I’d give you a script but I think you should learn how to do it so you get used to Linux.
[/quote

So, one of the reasons is that I want to learn more about Linux. Secondly, I though I could only install a linux system into those micro computers.

I don't want to be a pain with loads of questions, but how do I guarantee the dependencies? Also, can I use those 4 commands to most linux systems?

Last question, any recommendation for a good book to learn Linux? Or maybe any free online training?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers.
zamolsix

Activity: 162
Merit: 5

FreeLancer, Video Editor and Graphic Designer

View Profile
January 13, 2019, 01:59:25 PM

The Best and the more stable version of linux to run a masternode is UBUNTU version 16.04.

After you install all dependencies is easy to compile the wallet.

to install linux dependencies run this commands one by one:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get -y install automake
sudo apt-get -y install build-essential
sudo apt-get -y install libtool
sudo apt-get -y install autotools-dev
sudo apt-get -y install autoconf
sudo apt-get -y install pkg-config
sudo apt-get -y install libssl-dev
sudo apt-get -y install libboost-all-dev
sudo apt-get -y install libevent-dev
sudo apt-get -y install software-properties-common
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:bitcoin/bitcoin
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y install libdb4.8-dev
sudo apt-get -y install libdb4.8++-dev
sudo apt-get -y install libminiupnpc-dev
sudo apt-get -y install git

hope it helps you and others in need.
if you want more details on how to setup linux wallet, you can watch my tutorials from youtube on how to setup a masternode.
here is the link to my channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBqo3DweJH24BHcXPgBBQtQ/videos

▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ █  FreeLancer. Graphic Designer. Video Editor █ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂  
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2019, 02:24:20 PM

The Best and the more stable version of linux to run a masternode is UBUNTU version 16.04.

After you install all dependencies is easy to compile the wallet.

to install linux dependencies run this commands one by one:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:bitcoin/bitcoin
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y install libdb4.8-dev
sudo apt-get -y install libdb4.8++-dev
sudo apt-get -y install libminiupnpc-dev
sudo apt-get -y install git

hope it helps you and others in need.
if you want more details on how to setup linux wallet, you can watch my tutorials from youtube on how to setup a masternode.
here is the link to my channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBqo3DweJH24BHcXPgBBQtQ/videos

Code:

FYI, that can all be done in one line.

The best is definitely plan down to personal opinion Wink.
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2019, 06:06:59 PM

Hi Guys,

I know I might be a bit late but I was trying to run a bitcoin full node on my cubieboard3 (cubietruck) and I am struggling a lot! Let's go with my questions ans see if someone is kind to asnwer me Smiley

1 - What is the minimal version of ubuntu that I need to have to run a full node?
2 - I was able to install Ubuntu Desktop 12-04 LTS and tried to install the full node. When I was click on the Bitcoin UI nothing happened. Could be because of the version for the Bitcoin core Vs the Ubuntu version?
3 - I did an update from 12-04 LTS to 14-04 LTS but since I installed the updagrade I couldn't login anymore. I actually got a warning during the installation saying that the "Unity" could not work. I ignored and continued but seems that something is wrong...

Here are the specs for the cubietruck (Cubieboard3):

SoC: Allwinner A20
CPU: ARM Cortex-A7 @ 1 GHz dual-core
GPU: Mali-400 MP2
display controller: unknown, supports HDMI 1080p, no LVDS support
2 GiB DDR3 @ 480 MHz
8 GB NAND flash built-in, 1x microSD slot, 1x SATA 2.0 port (Hard Disk of 2,5").
10/100/1000 RTL8211E Gigabit Ethernet
2x USB Host, 1x USB OTG, 1x CIR.
S/PDIF, headphone, VGA and HDMI audio out, mic and line-in via extended pins
Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on board with PCB antenna (Broadcom BCM4329/BCM40181)
54 extended pins including I²C, SPI
Dimensions: 11 cm × 8 cm

Thank you very much.
Cheers.

You should install a different (lighter) ubuntu flavor, try: lubuntu 16.04 LTS or ubuntu-mate 16.04 LTS instead of ubuntu.

Key difference is the desktop environment from regular Ubuntu is too heavy for your arm cpu.

In reality you don't need any desktop environment at all, if you are not afraid of the command line, the netboot images are the best. But you need to choose the option at boot to not install any desktop (f6 iirc).

Of course you could achieve the same thing with several linux distros, if all you want is to run a node...

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
Pages: [1]
  Print