Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:21:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Battle between giant gaming distributors Steam and Epic Games  (Read 184 times)
RussaX (OP)

Activity: 80
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 19, 2018, 08:32:02 PM
Merited by Welsh (2), Daniel91 (1)

I have realised that there might be ongoing battle between gaming distribution platforms "Steam" and "Epic games".

Steam was launched in 2003 and it started to gain player base in 2004. Half life 2 was the first game to require installation of the Steam client to play the game.
Since then Steam knew what a huge potential could have been achieved by having software launcher installed on gamers computer which would allow them to offer new games and purchases. From that day Steam is the only real player in the town. Many game developers would publish their games through Steam since this is the place where are the buyers. With each game purchase or market trade of virtual items Steam is earning their cut so you can imagine how much do they earn.

There you have some other game launchers but they are not on a scale of Steam.

And then I realise that there is very successfull Epic games. They have fresh game which make them a ton of money (Fortnite).

It is like as when it started with steam with half life2. They have a huge player base who had to download and use their game platform. But it's more than that. They have a range of games that steam does not have which servers the purpose of keeping current players to play some other games but also to attract new ones to join epic games instead of steam.

As of late I have seen that every 2 weeks they will offer great deals with giving away games for free which will attract players to join their platform but not just that. Purpose of doing that is to make players feel that they are building valuable account like you do with steam where you collect games, build up your steam account level and makes you feel like you own something.

With Steam making their own game Counter Strike GO go from €15 to free to play I am convinced that this is response for Epic games action.
It has greatly icreased number of players on steam but there is also some backlash to it with old community feeling ripped off.

With that being said I really hope that there emerges competition which would benefit users since they might offer better deals and try to improve by listening to user feedback.
As you could imagine while in monopol I feel as many others that Steam never listened to any feedback, they didn't care about marketing since they were the giant so it will be interesting to see if competition could change that.

Share down your opinion

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CristianOff

Activity: 421
Merit: 97

View Profile
December 22, 2018, 10:26:16 PM

Last time I played games was 2 years ago and it was exactly Global Offensive. Had a decent rank, Supreme Master First Class
but now hearing for the first time that it's free it makes me laugh
Seems that the whole organization, Valve has became a joke. Maybe they don't realize anymore with the money
generated from skins. I thought I would never said that but, this update is worse than  skin update  Undecided

Thanks God I haven't spent my time on it, however I can understand people who spent money on it and
dedicated thousands of hours. I believe it is officially dead and it is only a matter of time until nobody
will play anymore, the only market becoming those people who actually never played the game.

Their only save is coming up with a new game.

On the other hand, it's nice to see competition between businesses. Personally I believe that Valve took
the wrong approach. Isn't it a bit late to make the move in making a battle royale? True, maybe better
now than never but still, why making the entire game free and why not a part dedicated for battle
royale?
TryNinja
Legendary

Activity: 2828
Merit: 6983

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2018, 11:26:54 PM
Merited by suchmoon (4)

With Steam making their own game Counter Strike GO go from €15 to free to play I am convinced that this is response for Epic games action.
It has greatly icreased number of players on steam but there is also some backlash to it with old community feeling ripped off.
LOL. It is not. First thing: you still need to pay more than the old price to get Prime (otherwise, it's a cheat fest). Second thing: they just want a bigger player base to profit more with cases and future ventures.

Neither Epic Games or any other platform have any chances against Steam.

People will download the Epic Games Launcher to play Fortnite, but that's all. It was the same with Battle.net (because of Overwatch) and Origin (because of Battlefield and other EA games). No one is leaving Steam and that's a fact. Steam has the monopoly and one game isn't going to change shit. Period.
RussaX (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2018, 02:22:42 AM

LOL. It is not. First thing: you still need to pay more than the old price to get Prime (otherwise, it's a cheat fest). Second thing: they just want a bigger player base to profit more with cases and future ventures.

Neither Epic Games or any other platform have any chances against Steam.

People will download the Epic Games Launcher to play Fortnite, but that's all. It was the same with Battle.net (because of Overwatch) and Origin (because of Battlefield and other EA games). No one is leaving Steam and that's a fact. Steam has the monopoly and one game isn't going to change shit. Period.
I don't really know what to comment on csgo, they already have well established market with skins. It just raffles the trust because you don't know what will they throw at you.

It is not just the one game. That game made and still makes them a fortune which they concentrate on building and promoting their platform.
Quote from: Tim Sweeney
One way Epic plans to seduce players from other platforms is by throwing free stuff at them. The store will feature one free game every fortnight throughout 2019, funded by Epic

While you have profit driven Steam, game developers will see some love from epic game store.
The new store will offer developers an 88 percent share of revenue, in contrast to Valve’s industry-standard 70 percent.

Quote from: Forbes
'Fortnite: Battle Royale' Has Made Over $1 Billion As It Completely Dominates Video Game Streaming
With Fortnite being very successive earning them hundreds of millions every month we should not forget that is not their only source of income.

I am not saying that they might push the Steam off the market but rather that Epic might become a good alternative for game developers and gamers themselves getting better deals in other places.
I think that are rather interesting news for 2019 and it might bring some goods to the gaming community.
ABCbits
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 7490

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
December 23, 2018, 05:41:02 AM
Merited by Welsh (1)

Steam can't lose, especially after gamer enjoy have all of their games, friend and community in one place. I won't move from Steam either.

Besides, while Epic Games only take 12%, Steam have regional prices which allow gamer from developing world spend less money. Based on some reddit community, it's customer service is horrible/non-existent.
So while it could attract developer and publisher, they won't able to attract Gamer, at least without major improvement.
RussaX (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2018, 11:57:11 AM

Steam can't lose, especially after gamer enjoy have all of their games, friend and community in one place. I won't move from Steam either.

Besides, while Epic Games only take 12%, Steam have regional prices which allow gamer from developing world spend less money. Based on some reddit community, it's customer service is horrible/non-existent.
So while it could attract developer and publisher, they won't able to attract Gamer, at least without major improvement.

That is the point. If they have good game developers on platform making the game only available on Epic platform will force players to use it. And it they can get hands on some good popular games that would be a jackpot. With already giving away for free expensive games or making them cheaper surely attracts you to grab it.

Personally I preffer using a single launcher for all games and building just 1 profile. As majority would agree I don't like to make changes to new things but rather stick to the one that I am used to. But again do you think that I won't grab a €15 game that I am interested in for free? I already got it. If it turns out to be user friendly, might aswell stick on the ride.

Steam won't lose anything but this could provide us a great alternative where you can stick with whoever you feel is treating you better.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: