Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:50:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Bitcoin? How does it work? <-- Need your input for a good article  (Read 948 times)
The Bitcoin Society (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:16:47 AM

As we continue development of our website and continue to grow, we get asked almost daily. What is Bitcoin? and, How does it work? Everyone from the offices below us in our building, the mail man, the building manager, the painters that came in, even the girl at the coffee shop across the street. For the time being as we are working on our infrastructure and website, we have to refer them to bitcoin.org or other spinoffs that have explanations and the result is always the same. The next time we see them, they just have a blank stare on their face and reply with.... " I dont get it".

Now with that being said, take into consideration that most information available with a quick google search is written by Nerds, Techies, and Geeks like myself. When read by other Nerds, Techies and geeks, it makes perfect sense. If not, most of us spend at least 5 hours a day behind our computers and we set out on a google mission until we find the answer we are looking for. Lets face it, grandma and grandpa, sometimes even mom and dad, even after watching the cheesy video or reading an article are still left scratching their heads.

What we are looking for is for people both new and veteran to bitcoin to put in your two satoshi worth and in a few brief sentences try and answer as best you can without being overly technical both questions, What is Bitcoin, and how does it work?

We are hoping to take a little bit from everyone and write an article and later turn it into a television commercial to help spread awareness of bitcoin beyond the typical news feeds every time some business or company runs off with peoples bitcoins. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Lapua Culpa
The Bitcoin Society
www.thebitcoinsociety.org

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin Society (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:48:50 PM

Still looking for your input guys, was hoping to get a little more feedback than none.
E.exchanger

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

NEED CRYPTO CODER? COIN DEVELOPER? PM US FOR HELP!

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 08:14:28 PM

If you really want alot of people to jump in to your thread and comment give away few satoshi as a reward for every answer or something like the best  answer will win few ubtc or every 15th answer will get few ubtc iam sure your thread will be huge this way else noone is going to write anything for you for free. Good luck  Smiley
The Bitcoin Society (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 10:20:00 PM

If you really want alot of people to jump in to your thread and comment give away few satoshi as a reward for every answer or something like the best  answer will win few ubtc or every 15th answer will get few ubtc iam sure your thread will be huge this way else noone is going to write anything for you for free. Good luck  Smiley

Thank you for your input, but we have learned from past experience that its quite the opposite. Post a tiny bounty just to give some incentive and you get 50 posts from the local forum troll crowd ( i am sure you know who they are by now, if you look through their post histories you see nothing but them disrespecting and trolling other peoples threads and never anything constructive ) and all they do is troll about offering a tiny bounty.

We are not looking for anyone to write the article for us, all we were looking for is a a sentence or two on the topic from some of the wiser people on this forum who actually do constructive things for the BTC community to fuel some creativity. If we cannot find it here, there are a few other forums that are more productive in the bitcoin community that we might try that have always gotten good response. As you can tell we are new to this particular forum and more so testing the waters, although we have found a few really great people here.
monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 10:28:42 PM

I wrote this article just recently about that very subject, maybe it will give you some ideas:

http://www.wildbunny.co.uk/blog/2014/03/03/what-is-a-bitcoin/

Cheers, Paul.
jontstaz

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 11:29:08 PM

Bitcoin is a digital currency which is not backed up by tangible objects such as gold or cash. Bitcoin can only be created by utilizing the processing power of computers which is called "mining". As more and more people start "mining" Bitcoins, the time taken to produce the currency is significantly increased in order to keep the economy stable. The monetary value placed upon Bitcoin is decided by the supply and demand and other deciding factors such as the recent collapse of the largest Bitcoin exchange, MtGox and the current mining difficulty.

That is a very simplified definition that most people I tell it to seem to understand. I don't know how much detail you were looking for.

Hope it helps,
- Jonte
The Bitcoin Society (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 12:20:42 AM

I wrote this article just recently about that very subject, maybe it will give you some ideas:

http://www.wildbunny.co.uk/blog/2014/03/03/what-is-a-bitcoin/

Cheers, Paul.

WOW Paul, that was amazingly well put together. As a tech geek that was very well explained and i am seriously impressed ( its not that easy to impress me ), although it might be a little beyond the average not technical person. Never the less, it was a great sample piece so i would like to make you an offer. $20 in BTC for you to take that article put it in the simplest terms possible, like you were doing it in crayon for a child, and i might even throw in a tip, and throw you a few paid gigs here and there if the first one turns out good.

Sound Fair?

Bitcoin is a digital currency which is not backed up by tangible objects such as gold or cash. Bitcoin can only be created by utilizing the processing power of computers which is called "mining". As more and more people start "mining" Bitcoins, the time taken to produce the currency is significantly increased in order to keep the economy stable. The monetary value placed upon Bitcoin is decided by the supply and demand and other deciding factors such as the recent collapse of the largest Bitcoin exchange, MtGox and the current mining difficulty.

That is a very simplified definition that most people I tell it to seem to understand. I don't know how much detail you were looking for.

Hope it helps,
- Jonte

Jonte,

That was very well said, we might use that in part for a script for our upcoming television campaign if that is ok with you.
jontstaz

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 01:33:43 AM

Hope it helps,
- Jonte

Jonte,

That was very well said, we might use that in part for a script for our upcoming television campaign if that is ok with you.

Yeah that'd be fine. No problem!
The Bitcoin Society (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 02:01:57 AM

Hope it helps,
- Jonte

Jonte,

Yeah that'd be fine. No problem!

Thanks Jonte, i forwarded it to our media development team
monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 09:31:25 AM

WOW Paul, that was amazingly well put together. As a tech geek that was very well explained and i am seriously impressed ( its not that easy to impress me ), although it might be a little beyond the average not technical person. Never the less, it was a great sample piece so i would like to make you an offer. $20 in BTC for you to take that article put it in the simplest terms possible, like you were doing it in crayon for a child, and i might even throw in a tip, and throw you a few paid gigs here and there if the first one turns out good.

Sound Fair?

Thanks for the compliment Smiley I don't really write articles for pay, but you are free to reference it in anything you write yourself Smiley

Cheers, Paul.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: