Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:26:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: antminer help  (Read 850 times)
crudpuppy (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:03:18 AM

Antminer s1 was running overclocked fine for month or so and then just stopped...it gets online and all but mining status page doesn't show either of the boards.  the area where the two chains show the mining chips is just empty!  I tried unhooking one side and even switching control board to the opposite side and just power that side but no luck on any front.  No idea what to do next.

██████████████████████ ▀▄ Platio ▄▀ ██████████████████████
[TELEGRAM]│Smart Banking Ecosystem for crypto, fiat and│[FACEBOOK]
[TWITTER] │stocks, based on EOS blockchain technology │ [MEDIUM]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:04:20 AM

Antminer s1 was running overclocked fine for month or so and then just stopped...it gets online and all but mining status page doesn't show either of the boards.  the area where the two chains show the mining chips is just empty!  I tried unhooking one side and even switching control board to the opposite side and just power that side but no luck on any front.  No idea what to do next.

Well, if ya cant figure it out, there is a 90day warranty on these things afaik...

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
crudpuppy (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:05:06 AM

OC'd so voids warranty

crudpuppy (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:14:03 AM

I believe this is the error part from what I can tell comparing to my working ants
[    5.890000] hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
[    5.890000] hub 1-0:1.0: 1 port detected
[    6.230000] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-platform
[    6.450000] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[    6.770000] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[    7.000000] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-platform
[    7.220000] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[    7.540000] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[    7.770000] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-platform
[    8.250000] usb 1-1: device not accepting address 4, error -71
[    8.370000] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-platform
[    8.850000] usb 1-1: device not accepting address 5, error -71
[    8.850000] hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1

It isn't able to read board so something is fried I guess?  these have a fuse?  visual inspection doenst show anything burnt or blown

cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:16:55 AM

OC'd so voids warranty

I can't imagine why they would warn against overclocking, it seems perfectly safe.  It's not like it's going to just die after awhile.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
crudpuppy (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:19:19 AM

to be honest I have 3 of these all OCd and this one died other are still doing well.  And most people overclock em at least some I think if you stay 375 or below it may stay in warranty but 400 voids it

Easy2Mine

Activity: 854

einc.io

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:30:58 AM

These are the specs of the chip
Core Voltage: 0.75V
Core Frequency:196 MHz
Hash Rate: 1.568 GH/s

In an Antminer are 2*32 asics=64 asics
180 GH/s : 64= 2.8125 GH/s

Standaard an Antminer is already overclocked at a stable and reliable 350 MHz.
At 350 MHz, your Antminer will live through the 90 days and longer and still work untill it is not profitable.
You had probably your Antminer clocked at 400 MHz, did you notice the HW errors?
To prevent any kind of chip from malfunction that is clocked beyond their design limits, you have to bring the temperature down with extreme cooling and feed them with enough juice.
If those conditions are not met, they will die.

Since OC voids warranty and you can't RMA the Antminer, your only option is try to reset everything and see if you can bring it back online.
If it stay dead, you can still sell the other working parts.
Some people have dead controller boards.
Succes

DumaDoo

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 03:59:01 AM

These are the specs of the chip
Core Voltage: 0.75V
Core Frequency:196 MHz
Hash Rate: 1.568 GH/s

In an Antminer are 2*32 asics=64 asics
180 GH/s : 64= 2.8125 GH/s

Standaard an Antminer is already overclocked at a stable and reliable 350 MHz.
At 350 MHz, your Antminer will live through the 90 days and longer and still work untill it is not profitable.
You had probably your Antminer clocked at 400 MHz, did you notice the HW errors?
To prevent any kind of chip from malfunction that is clocked beyond their design limits, you have to bring the temperature down with extreme cooling and feed them with enough juice.
If those conditions are not met, they will die.

Since OC voids warranty and you can't RMA the Antminer, your only option is try to reset everything and see if you can bring it back online.
If it stay dead, you can still sell the other working parts.
Some people have dead controller boards.
Succes

I finally finished setting and overclocking my Antminer today...

I noticed that
HW:29,908
Rejected:13

I'm not familiar with the term "HW Error", Is it another term for "Rejected"?
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686

FUN > ROI

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:37:14 AM

It means that the hardware sent back bogus data that doesn't make any sense - or at least isn't even normatively valid - usually as a result from it getting too hot.. temperature can do strange things to chips, like affecting path timing, making a signal B arrive before signal A, that sort of thing.
Some amount of hardware errors is pretty common, less than 1% hardware error rate is apparently acceptable for most hardware.  'The fewer the better' applies, but let's say you get 0.1% at 1GH/s vs 1% at 1.5GH/s.  Sure, there's 10 times as many errors - but this is a time-bound process, and you still get 1.49 times as many valid results in any given timeframe.
The flip side of course is that in pursuit of "LOL, MOAR RESULTS!", you can overclock it to the point where it burns out... literally.  And then you're getting zero valid results and a sadface.

29,908 hardware errors sounds like a lot, but since we don't know the timeframe or total number of hashes, you'd have to check the percentage.. and always keep an eye on the temperature.

cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 09:40:41 AM

What's the accepted number?

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
crudpuppy (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 11:04:10 AM

HW errors is about percentage compared to all processed data really. Oh and any ideas on what I can try?  Only thing close to actual help on my issue is someone saying doing a reset but how do you do a complete reset of an antminer?

Easy2Mine

Activity: 854

einc.io

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 12:08:33 PM

There is a small button on the controllerboard for factory reset.
Your controllerboard still works, so you can try to flash the firmware to see if it helps, but I have a bad feeling that your blades with BITMAIN chips are dead.
You shouldn't do anything with your miners than to follow the manufacturer advice, unless you know how things works.

DumaDoo

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 12:25:54 PM

It means that the hardware sent back bogus data that doesn't make any sense - or at least isn't even normatively valid - usually as a result from it getting too hot.. temperature can do strange things to chips, like affecting path timing, making a signal B arrive before signal A, that sort of thing.
Some amount of hardware errors is pretty common, less than 1% hardware error rate is apparently acceptable for most hardware.  'The fewer the better' applies, but let's say you get 0.1% at 1GH/s vs 1% at 1.5GH/s.  Sure, there's 10 times as many errors - but this is a time-bound process, and you still get 1.49 times as many valid results in any given timeframe.
The flip side of course is that in pursuit of "LOL, MOAR RESULTS!", you can overclock it to the point where it burns out... literally.  And then you're getting zero valid results and a sadface.

29,908 hardware errors sounds like a lot, but since we don't know the timeframe or total number of hashes, you'd have to check the percentage.. and always keep an eye on the temperature.

I did the math for the error and it's 6.92442625514

Does this mean that the hardware is too hot?
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 09:43:41 PM

I did the math for the error and it's 6.92442625514

Does this mean that the hardware is too hot?

probably too hot or overclocked a bit too far. If you are clocked above 375MHz, tune it down a notch or two. If you are not overclocked, check your power supply with a voltmeter and make sure its not outside of the ideal 11.8-12.6V range

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
crudpuppy (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 08:51:35 PM

I did a reset and now see an airos login screen when going ot miner ip???

crudpuppy (OP)

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 09:01:24 PM

Ok NM last post was odd but I typed wrong IP someone got that....anyway after reset it works again both boards reading ok and working fine at default settings!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: