Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:53:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bittrex.com may be selling your ID verification photos to criminals  (Read 187 times)
Hyena (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1011

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2018, 09:08:00 PM
Last edit: December 26, 2018, 04:08:27 PM by Hyena

I initiated an ID verification on Bittrex.

To protect myself against possible future identity theft (when Bittrex gets hacked), I wrote Bittrex.com and the current date on a transparent plastic strip and I attached the strip to my passport in a way that it does not cover anything important. I got the basic idea from here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/comments/2icgq9/lpt_if_you_really_need_to_upload_an_id_scan/?st=jq0v3ovg&sh=73db4524

This way, if Bittrex.com gets hacked and customer ID photos leak into the darknet, criminals would have hard time using the photo of my passport to conduct KYC at some other service provider. Since the label is physically attached to the passport before taking the photo, I am not violating the terms which say that photo manipulation is forbidden.

On the one hand, I prove to Bittrex that I am really the person that I claim to be.
On the other hand, if Bittrex goes rogue or gets hacked, my identity will still be safe.

Great! So what's the problem?

The problem is that Bittrex insists on me removing this label even though I am not violating any rules. I have not used any photo editing tools to manipulate the photo in any way. The image is scanned in high detail, allowing experts to easily verify that both the label and the ID document are authentic. Why on earth does Bittrex insist on me removing that label then?

Unless, they are illegally selling the KYC photos of their customers to 3rd parties. And of course, a photo like mine would not make them any money.

I have used this same exact method to verify my account on other exchanges and there has been no problem with it.

EDIT 26-12-2018:

They asked me to send them another photo (me holding a paper with text bittrex, the date and also holding my government issued ID). I was able to send that photo over e-mail, which means they finally approached my case manually. After that they enabled my account (YAY!). I immediately bought BSV for all the funds I had there  and withdrew them all. Never looking back though.

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2018, 09:14:34 PM

I don't know if that proves they're selling the IDs but they are indeed grade-A assholes. I was told I have to do full KYC to withdraw $30 (at the time; like $7 today) and basically dared me to sue them knowing I'm not gonna bother. Unless you have money stuck there I'd give them a wide berth.
Hyena (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2018, 09:23:29 PM

I don't know if that proves they're selling the IDs but they are indeed grade-A assholes. I was told I have to do full KYC to withdraw $30 (at the time; like $7 today) and basically dared me to sue them knowing I'm not gonna bother. Unless you have money stuck there I'd give them a wide berth.

This whole thing started when they decided to disable my account without prior notice, forcing me into KYC. I've submitted the KYC photos 3 times by now. Any self-respecting anti-fraud expert would have given me a green light by now, but not them. I wonder why? They know full well that I am the person who I claim to be, yet they are trying to delay my KYC. The value of my balance at bittrex is currently ~11000$. Sort of makes me want to go through with this Tongue

aioc

Activity: 2884
Merit: 564

View Profile
December 26, 2018, 02:20:03 PM

I guess you are right, it is for verification purposes so why would they want it take away, their motives is clear now, they want to use your details to other things and I would never trade on that exchange, and I will also ask other exchange if they allowed watermark for verification to make sure that they only want verification.

Mezounbanned

Activity: 342
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2018, 02:37:18 PM

Thanks for the good insight. I was thinking to try some of the major exchanges. Now i have got reason not engage with bitrex. Is it always that you have either a good volume or 1 btc plus withdrawal without great verification burden?
Hyena (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2018, 04:09:49 PM

Thanks for the good insight. I was thinking to try some of the major exchanges. Now i have got reason not engage with bitrex. Is it always that you have either a good volume or 1 btc plus withdrawal without great verification burden?

I think poloniex is legit now. They were acquired by circle you know. Haven't heard anyone complaining so far.

for the record, they finally accepted my verification documents, had to send one photo over e-mail which is a sign that they handled my case manually at last.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: