Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 06:11:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dumping Windows, and installing Ubuntu.  (Read 203 times)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2457

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2018, 06:46:58 PM
Last edit: December 27, 2018, 11:33:51 AM by Jet Cash

I've been talking about this for ages, and now I'm actually going to do it. I've ordered a Samsung evo 860 2 Tb SSD, and I'm going to replace the 2Tb HDD in my notebook. I'll put the HDD into an external case for backup. I'll be installing Ubuntu Studio, as I want to spend more time on content production to earn some crypto. My Bitcoin wallet can be moved onto the Netbook, and I'll replace the Ubuntu on that with Kali. I'll probably start a blog entry about it on one of my sites, and I'll include some pictures. I'll use this thread as a text discussion, and I hope it will help some of you guys to escape through the Windows. Smiley

The drive arrives tomorrow, or so I have been promised. Feel free to comment or ask questions in this thread.

[UPDATE] Amazon has confirmed the order, and sent an email stating that the drive was shipped at 2am today (Thursday).
I'm having it delivery to their dropbox at the Morrisons supermarket. It's 8.15am and I'm in the coffee shop there ready to pick it up when it arrives.

[../]

The collection email arrived at 11am, and the dropbox accepted the bar code from my phone. I just scanned it, and a door popped open with the box inside the cubby hole.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
gembirdprivate

Activity: 196
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 26, 2018, 11:34:30 PM

I wish you luck, because I have to install had some problems, which I solved about 2 days
marssx

Activity: 575
Merit: 100

800 chaturbate tk on sale

View Profile
January 15, 2019, 06:24:14 PM

i install linux (manjaro), but still use windows.

Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2457

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2019, 06:45:25 PM

I forgot about this thread. I bought a 2Tb SSD, and I installed it in the notebook without any problems, and the BIOS check claims it is error free. I'm in the process of checking that everything I need to use either works, or has an alternative under Ubuntu. Ubuntu is running on the netbook. So far I haven't found any problems, although I had to switch to an alternative for Irfanview, but I'm comfortable with that..

I re-installed the HDD with Windows in the notebook, but probably won't be able to make the switch until next month.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2019, 11:58:04 PM
Last edit: January 16, 2019, 12:45:20 AM by Artemis3

I've been talking about this for ages, and now I'm actually going to do it. I've ordered a Samsung evo 860 2 Tb SSD, and I'm going to replace the 2Tb HDD in my notebook. I'll put the HDD into an external case for backup. I'll be installing Ubuntu Studio, as I want to spend more time on content production to earn some crypto. My Bitcoin wallet can be moved onto the Netbook, and I'll replace the Ubuntu on that with Kali. I'll probably start a blog entry about it on one of my sites, and I'll include some pictures. I'll use this thread as a text discussion, and I hope it will help some of you guys to escape through the Windows. Smiley

The drive arrives tomorrow, or so I have been promised. Feel free to comment or ask questions in this thread.

[UPDATE] Amazon has confirmed the order, and sent an email stating that the drive was shipped at 2am today (Thursday).
I'm having it delivery to their dropbox at the Morrisons supermarket. It's 8.15am and I'm in the coffee shop there ready to pick it up when it arrives.

[../]

The collection email arrived at 11am, and the dropbox accepted the bar code from my phone. I just scanned it, and a door popped open with the box inside the cubby hole.

Kali is unsuitable as an everyday distro, its only meant as pentesting tool. You should stick to regular Debian or Ubuntu (which can install said tools anyway).

Of course you could "fix" Kali but for a new user its probably not worth it.

If you are really new to Linux, Ubuntu Studio might be a bit too complicated. You need to get acquainted with jackd. If all you do is edit videos, you don't need ubuntu studio, just install the programs you want to use to regular Ubuntu or any other distro. If its the desktop you want, Xubuntu would do the job just fine.

If you ask me, You should use Ubuntu Mate on both computers.

i install linux (manjaro), but still use windows.

This is a rolling distro and is not recommended for beginners. It comes from Arch after all, and when upgrading packages things can go wrong.

I forgot about this thread. I bought a 2Tb SSD, and I installed it in the notebook without any problems, and the BIOS check claims it is error free. I'm in the process of checking that everything I need to use either works, or has an alternative under Ubuntu. Ubuntu is running on the netbook. So far I haven't found any problems, although I had to switch to an alternative for Irfanview, but I'm comfortable with that..

I re-installed the HDD with Windows in the notebook, but probably won't be able to make the switch until next month.

To find alternatives just search online for yourfavprogram alternatives (ie. irfanview alternatives). Or ask here what programs do you need.

Disclaimer: I dropped windows entirely in 2007, but started dual booting in 1997, with some tries a couple of years before that.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1373

View Profile
January 16, 2019, 12:10:30 AM

• Linux Lite
  • Puppy Linux, Xenial

Cool

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/.
clareyancey215

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 04:07:15 PM

Ubuntu looks a lot cleaner, and more secure.
fudster

Activity: 1190
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 24, 2019, 04:15:56 PM

• Linux Lite
  • Puppy Linux, Xenial

Cool

Not a very friendly derivative and you have to use the fido with this because puppy use the default root. I find it interesting that it works good to old computers.
The new ubuntu has games by the way but its also crunch a lot of resources.
Artemis3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2019, 12:57:47 AM

• Linux Lite
  • Puppy Linux, Xenial

Cool

Not a very friendly derivative and you have to use the fido with this because puppy use the default root. I find it interesting that it works good to old computers.
The new ubuntu has games by the way but its also crunch a lot of resources.

Linux Lite is just Lubuntu with a bunch of extra programs installed though...

Puppy is a bit complex to install and maintain, but not hard when using it from a live iso, as it was originally intended.

You can use most distros in old computers, as long as you carefully choose what to install instead of the choices made for you. For example in Debian derivatives use the Expert Install option, and don't let it install the bloated gnome desktop. Install something light like Jwm and a light browser like Netsurf and you are done.

I agree with Ubuntu (and derivatives) being a good choice for newbies. Ubuntu-mate is my favorite in that regard.

Or you could pick any of the light distros intended for old computers.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
valeras19

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2019, 05:25:23 PM

I use linux and windows in my computer. Both work fine to me.
Haliburton

Activity: 502
Merit: 118

Liberated Forever. Domesticated Never.

View Profile
February 01, 2019, 06:17:21 PM

If you're deeply into Ubuntu, then I'd suggest you look into Kubuntu. It's feature rich, has an attractive UI, and all the other goodies of the normal Ubuntu. I've been testing it on my alternative laptop, and it works great. It's speedy and eye candy.

I'd suggest that you give it a try.  Wink

All in all, if all goes well, I'm going to ditch Windows too in favor of Ubuntu/Linux.   Cool

Florjancic

Activity: 9
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2019, 11:04:35 PM

If you liked Windows 3.11, you will like Ubuntu even more!
Artemis3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2019, 03:19:34 AM

He went with Ubuntu Studio, and that is fine. One of the joys of Linux is trying the different alternatives, distros, desktops, programs...

Here is Ubuntu Studio (its xfce based):

And here is an interesting article: Open Source Challenge: Why One Band Chose Linux To Record Their New Album

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
dikobraz123

Activity: 88
Merit: 24

View Profile
February 03, 2019, 12:26:29 PM

Good page for everything Linux-related (the design is modest; but this guy is very knowledgeable):

https://www.dedoimedo.com/linux.htm
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: